• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New with surgery date set

Sunnyday

Hi all I am new to the support group and I am looking to create connection with those going through a similar set of circumstances.

Let me set the stage 9 years ago a younger version of myself picked up the phone and called 1800lapband, if I could talk to that girl today....oh well. Any who I did that surgery and very frankly felt like I was being treated much like cattle it was a very bad experience. The lap band didn't really "take" I lost a grand total of 20 pounds and I genuinely kept it off for about 8 years then around August of 2015 I started getting really sick like I couldn't eat the same foods any more everything gave me the thick gross throw up that I lovingly call erping. In 5 months I dropped over 60 pounds and got to the point where I could not hold down water. I will admit it took me a while to go to the DR. because I was like oooohhhhh this is what the lap band is supposed to do ohhhh girl look how good these jeans look on me. I was getting weaker and weaker and finally I said enough and off to the Dr. I went. Turns out I had PARTIAL PARALYSIS of my esophagus. WHAT!!!! So they drained what fluid I had and told me I had to have the lap band removed and have a revision. I chickened out well that and the staff didn't give me warm fuzzies but mainly I sprouted feathers and ran away. During the year that followed I worked my butt off I did Pilates and joined a gym hired a personal trainer as well as a nutritionist, nothing I did worked and all those amazing jeans I bought you know the ones that made my butt glorious got packed away in a rubber maid container because when your body goes into starvation mode and then all the sudden you get food it holds on to every calorie as though it has never seen a calorie before. So 13 months after the day that they removed the fluid and allowed my esophagus to take a well deserved break I have gained a whopping 100 pounds you read that right 100 pounds. My smallest with the crippled esophagus was 207 and my initial weigh in with the new Dr. is 307. My revision surgery is set for October 9th and in the last 24 days I have lost 9 pounds (298), I am scared, frustrated, excited, worried, did I mention excited. I am ready for changes in my life and I already did the starvation bit so I am confident that I can handle what's coming but that doesn't mean I want to handle it alone.

Welcome to the group! :) Sounds like a roller coaster ride and they haven't let you get off of it yet. :confused: I think you will do great. I can't really connect on the lap bad front, I've never had one, but I am a post bypass patient so that may help in the future. :oops: I hope your new journey goes well and we will be here so you won't have to endure things alone. :D

Welcome to the group! :) Sounds like a roller coaster ride and they haven't let you get off of it yet. :confused: I think you will do great. I can't really connect on the lap bad front, I've never had one, but I am a post bypass patient so that may help in the future. :oops: I hope your new journey goes well and we will be here so you won't have to endure things alone. :D

Thank you it has been a roller coaster ride and I am ready to see the end of the ride!!!!

Welcome to the group. I hope life is much easier from here on out. As Pixx said, we will be here with you this time around. Can’t wait to get to know you. :)

I am freaking out I am a mix bag of emotions so excited so nervous getting all of my stuff situated this week so that the two weeks off from work are as easy as possible :)

I am also new. My surgery date is 11-7-2017..Been very upbeat until this morning. Now i am having second thoughts...I have never wanted anything as bad as i want this surgery,just scared of failing...so i know where your coming from ...

Welcome to the group Teresa :) I think it is perfectly normal to be nervous but your going get through it and be on to the better part of the journey soon!

I am also new. My surgery date is 11-7-2017..Been very upbeat until this morning. Now i am having second thoughts...I have never wanted anything as bad as i want this surgery,just scared of failing...so i know where your coming from ...
Welcome Teresa. I too had second thoughts before my surgery. I think if you don’t, you aren’t taking it seriously. This changes your life. Think positive.

Back