• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NEW

Cherios*64

I am 4 years post roux en y. I've done very well without any problems; however, lately I've begun having trouble with food getting stuck in my pouch and of course I get sick. Is anyone else this far out from surgery having problems pop up like this? I'd love to know if you have. Cheri

I have twice had some kind of nausea & stuck feeling that caused me to throw up my nighttime dose of supplements, and then once got over full eating pasta but not chewing it enough. That is miserable. But it's also great. It means your pouch is still doing its job and you can still maintain your weight loss, or lose more if you've gained. Go back to a softer, smaller diet and identify the things you choke on. Avoid them if you can, but if you must eat them, chop or puree them and eat very slowly. When you reach the point where your body is telling you to stop, even though you want to finish your meal, stop. Wait to see what happens and if you digest it, then continue with your meal if you want. Or just drink some water to see if it's really gone down. Regardless of everything else, it will either go down or come back up, but you will not suffer any permanent effects in either case.

I had to change the order of my supplements because I was taking two giant gel-caps of fish oil at bedtime. I knew I wasn't digesting well when I could taste that awful cod liver oil in my throat & mouth. Now I take it in my third dose of the day and take a very small dose of other things at bedtime.

You're a pro. Look hard at what's happening and you'll figure it out soon enough. Adapt your eating to your ability to digest what you're eating, including your supplements. If it continues, call your surgeon. You may have developed a blockage of some sort.

I had a problem for a few years with being unable to eat much and becoming nauseated when I did eat. I had an endoscopy in July and it revealed a staple that had come out and a stitch that came loose. The doc fixed it & I've been fine ever since.

In that case, I would definitely call my surgeon. If you've been having ongoing nausea for weeks then something isn't right. You need a check up.

And while you're waiting for your appointment, make a list of all the foods that you have eaten over the last several weeks, especially the ones that you felt were coming back up. Let your doctor know this.

Back