• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NEW

MTGRIZ

Hello everyone my name is Rhett and i am about 2-3 months out for my surgery, I have chosen to go with the gastric bypass as i have had weight issues my whole life and i believe this is my best option for sustainable success. I started this journey a little over a month ago and between changing my eating habits and exercise i am done 25 lbs. I am excited and nervous all at the same time for this new journey i am about to embark on. Of course i have being doing a ton of research and such. But am wondering is there anything i should be prepared for that they do not tell you?

Thank you

Hello everyone my name is Rhett and i am about 2-3 months out for my surgery, I have chosen to go with the gastric bypass as i have had weight issues my whole life and i believe this is my best option for sustainable success. I started this journey a little over a month ago and between changing my eating habits and exercise i am done 25 lbs. I am excited and nervous all at the same time for this new journey i am about to embark on. Of course i have being doing a ton of research and such. But am wondering is there anything i should be prepared for that they do not tell you?

Thank you

Welcome to the group, Rhett! And congrats on starting this journey. You will certainly experience all of the feels as you move through it :) Going into this, there is a ton of information coming at you. From what to do pre-op, the surgery itself, and what to expect post-op at all of the different stages. I'm sure everyone will chime in with things that maybe they didn't know but they learned along the way. I would also recommend simply reading as many posts on here as you can. I feel like we have discussed everything multiple times so you will get to see many viewpoints on it all. Also, check out these two resources from our members. The first is a pre-surgery buying list posted by MamaBearOf4 and the second is Brenda2010's experience on the day of surgery. Good luck with your process and let us know if you have any questions!

Pre-Surgery buying
My Surgery Day Experience

Congratulations, Rhett! Frankly, my dear, you obviously DO give a damn! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think the one thing people really don't wrap their mind around is how important it is to drink water. Drinking enough water can make the difference between having a lot of discomfort after the surgery and a painless post-op experience as your body adjusts. You've done a great job already with your weight loss, but after surgery, you have to focus on hydration, because you no longer are packing that camel-hump of a stomach where you can keep a reservoir of water. Dehydration after surgery is common because people just aren't used to drinking water in a deliberate manner, and you can easily wind up back in the hospital. Get yourself set up to be a water-drinker now and always have some with you.

And our dear member missdarmitage reminded us very recently that you need to be aware if you are on any extended release medications. You will need to have the prescribing physician(s) change any of those before surgery. After surgery, they won't be absorbed correctly. This is very important as well!

And please, please, PLEASE ask about your eating plan in the first several weeks (and months) post surgery. I thought that just about all bariatric surgeons had patients work with nutritionists these days but we're getting more and more posts lately from newbies asking what they should be eating. This is something that should be discussed in detail with medical professionals.

And our dear member missdarmitage reminded us very recently that you need to be aware if you are on any extended release medications. You will need to have the prescribing physician(s) change any of those before surgery. After surgery, they won't be absorbed correctly. This is very important as well!

Absolutely. when you're prescribed a medication, your doctor should tell you if it's extended release. but look at the bottle as well. usually it will have "SR" after the name, which stands for sustained release. A lot of antidepressants are prescribed as SR in hopes that they'll last all day long.

the warning on the bottle will include a caution not to break the pill in half. but if its SR, go ahead and break it. then all the medication will be absorbed in your upper intestinal tract as well as it can be. And ask your doc not to give you any more meds that are SR. That's what i had to do.

Back