• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie from Ohio

CMaeH333

Hello all! I had my Bariatric Sleeve 1 month ago. I’ve lost 28 pounds. I am married to my soulmate and I have a 29 year old and an 18 year old son.

I am not employed currently but my background includes teaching math at the junior high, high school, and community college levels. I have also taught kickboxing back in the days when I was in great shape. I had always been in good shape in my life up until my later 40’s and recent 50’s.

I love reading and writing. I have been walking for exercise but am now starting boxing classes and resistance training along with my walking. I had always been athletic in my teens through 30’s but now have trouble sticking with exercising.

I have hit a wall with my weight loss this 3rd week! It has slowed down tremendously. I am a bit discouraged having only lost a bit over 2 pounds this last week! I think to myself thst I could lose 2 pounds a week without having gone through the surgery…However, I know I would never had been able to lose 28 pounds in 29 days as I have done looking at the big picture..

Anyway, that’s a bit about me. Looking forward to engaging with other members here and finding AND giving support to others.

The infamous 3rd week stall! You are doing wonderfully and please do not get discouraged. It’s completely normal to stall. Be careful about exercising too soon. At this point it is hard to get the calories needed to make up the deficit. It’s a delicate intake/output ratio. Make sure you’re getting your protein and water, but other than that, trust your instincts. I’m happy you found the group! Welcome!!

Hello all! I had my Bariatric Sleeve 1 month ago. I’ve lost 28 pounds. I am married to my soulmate and I have a 29 year old and an 18 year old son.

I am not employed currently but my background includes teaching math at the junior high, high school, and community college levels. I have also taught kickboxing back in the days when I was in great shape. I had always been in good shape in my life up until my later 40’s and recent 50’s.

I love reading and writing. I have been walking for exercise but am now starting boxing classes and resistance training along with my walking. I had always been athletic in my teens through 30’s but now have trouble sticking with exercising.

I have hit a wall with my weight loss this 3rd week! It has slowed down tremendously. I am a bit discouraged having only lost a bit over 2 pounds this last week! I think to myself thst I could lose 2 pounds a week without having gone through the surgery…However, I know I would never had been able to lose 28 pounds in 29 days as I have done looking at the big picture..

Anyway, that’s a bit about me. Looking forward to engaging with other members here and finding AND giving support to others.
welcome to the site and congratulations on your successes so far! I can't wait to be where you are! I have 35 days haha. Good job!

The infamous 3rd week stall! You are doing wonderfully and please do not get discouraged. It’s completely normal to stall. Be careful about exercising too soon. At this point it is hard to get the calories needed to make up the deficit. It’s a delicate intake/output ratio. Make sure you’re getting your protein and water, but other than that, trust your instincts. I’m happy you found the group! Welcome!!
Thank you for the encouragement and warm welcome…

Hello and welcome to the group. Since everyone has shared the 3 week stall info, I'll save myself the effort but .. it IS infamous lol

I also cannot seem to get excited about exercise. I do like to stay busy and enjoy being active. But I really hate structured exercise. I think it might be a mental block because I have a blast climbing up and down a ladder 2 days running to paint the walls but add weights or equipment and I'm like "Nooooo I hate it!!" So maybe find some activity you enjoy rather than trying to keep an exercise routine?

Wow, 28 lb weight-loss in a month is awesome! Congratulations on your success so far. One of our favorite topics is celebrating nonscale victories, aka NSVs. These include less joint pain while moving, not being breathless after walking a short distance, buttons actually buttoning & zippers zipping all the way, etc. Numbers on a scale may be satisfying or frustrating, but NSVs can soothe your soul during the stalls you probably will experience periodically. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Just out of curiosity, which part of Ohio are you from? I feel like you are a neighbor. Welcome to our happy little group.

Wow, 28 lb weight-loss in a month is awesome! Congratulations on your success so far. One of our favorite topics is celebrating nonscale victories, aka NSVs. These include less joint pain while moving, not being breathless after walking a short distance, buttons actually buttoning & zippers zipping all the way, etc. Numbers on a scale may be satisfying or frustrating, but NSVs can soothe your soul during the stalls you probably will experience periodically. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Just out of curiosity, which part of Ohio are you from? I feel like you are a neighbor. Welcome to our happy little group.
Oakwood, OH… a suburb near Dayton, OH.

Oakwood, OH… a suburb near Dayton, OH.
Oh, ok. One of my s.i.law's daughters lives in Dayton, and she lives in Celina. Pretty cool, almost being neighbors. :)
Well…howdy neighbor!

Hello and welcome to the group. Since everyone has shared the 3 week stall info, I'll save myself the effort but .. it IS infamous lol

I also cannot seem to get excited about exercise. I do like to stay busy and enjoy being active. But I really hate structured exercise. I think it might be a mental block because I have a blast climbing up and down a ladder 2 days running to paint the walls but add weights or equipment and I'm like "Nooooo I hate it!!" So maybe find some activity you enjoy rather than trying to keep an exercise routine?
Yes… I am actively searching for an activity I’ll enjoy long term for exercise…I guess I too do not care for structured exercise…

Hello all! I had my Bariatric Sleeve 1 month ago.

I have hit a wall with my weight loss this 3rd week! It has slowed down tremendously. I am a bit discouraged having only lost a bit over 2 pounds this last week! I think to myself thst I could lose 2 pounds a week without having gone through the surgery…

If you lost 2 pounds a week that would amount to 100 in a year

IMO alternating strength with aerobic exercise can almost double your success.

Try to relax. Enjoy what you've achieved. You're da bomb!

Last edited:
Yes… I am actively searching for an activity I’ll enjoy long term for exercise…I guess I too do not care for structured exercise…
If nothing else, I find walking is my go to exercise. Bonus points for walking with my surgery twin, my hubby, or my BFF. I have walked for the feel good hormones released, and to help me continue losing weight. I've always read that walking or other activities raises our metabolism and continues burning calories for a period of time after stopping for the day. Good luck finding your chosen exercise or movement activity plan.

My husband is determined we're going to take up pickleball. I'm like .. uh .. But maybe I will like it? lol I mostly can't wait for it to get warmer around here so I can get out and about.
I'm hoping to try swimming again, nice, slow laps at the Y, making sure the lifeguard knows about my BP issue. It will have to wait until late June after my cataract surgeries are done, but it will be good swim again.

I really do not like structured exercise either. My endocrinologist was very insistent that I do some type of weight resistant exercise to make sure I’m not losing muscle. I compromised. I’ve taken up wood working, a hobby that I never saw myself doing, and I’ll tell you what! I am DEFINITELY using my muscles-ALL of them LOL I wake up more sore from sanding and carrying wood around than I ever expected o_O:D I think what some doctors just won’t ever understand is that some of the best exercises for us are ones where our bodies and minds are fulfilled. Hiking, gardening, nature photography- those are all hobbies that incorporate exercise. I know there are tons more, but those are just a few I thought of.

Hello and welcome to the group!
I just got past my 3 week stall (I think).
Really, anything that gets your heart rate up is to be considered exercise. It doesn't have to be structured.
Swimming, playing a sport, dancing? Really if your heart rate is up you are burning extra calories.

Good luck on your journey!

Back