• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie Here.....Almost 5 Years Post RNY :)

Hi everyone! I'm so happy I found this site! I'm Cyndi and, on May 25, 2007, I began my new life. Just 4 days before my 42nd birthday I had my RNY. I was 266 pounds and wearing size 26 jeans. I've had a little weight-gain but that was good. I'm 5'8" and I got down to 125 pounds. WAY too small. I'm up a little now and feeling great! I'm in size 6/size 8 jeans (size 2 was ridiculous) and I feel so great!!! I wish all of you pre-ops and decision-makers all the best. I admit I had a very easy time with my surgery. I had open RNY and woke up in recovery with zero pain. The only pain was in my back from the paper-thin matress. That was it. I've had no setbacks, no complications and just such an easy time. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I wish you all the best on this new AMAZING journey you're about to take!

* Cyndi *

I love reading stories like yours! The office I go to for my weigh ins can be a little rough! I have run into quiet a few people who are soooooooo negative! the chief complaint is If I had known that it was going to be like this I would never have done this. I feel funny because I feel like the doctors and staff that are involved with this are very upfront and honest. I have asked a thousand questions and not once was I denied an answer. I am sure it is the same for most offices that provide this surgery! I know I have rambled but the bottom line is thank you for adding to my positive pile!!!! I am truly looking forward to my new life and all that I will be able to do with my family that is so limited now!!! thanks again Jenny

Jenny, I went into this with wide eyes. I read everything, including Memorials, at www.obesityhelp.com. I even have a blog there that follow my consults thru about a year ago. Sometimes it can be rough. I came home from the hospital on May 28. May 29 was my birthday. Didn't my now ex-husband buy cake and ice cream and get ANGRY I wouldn't eat!!! Ummmm....hello? I can't even eat 2 oz of jello and you want me to eat that??? He tried to get me to fail until I filed for divorce in 2009. lol It's funny. When I was pre-op I was never "repulsive". I got to 132 lbs and I was. *scratching head* Buy "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" and read, read, read. Five years post-op and it's still my reference guide. I was lucky that my surgeon's office is more than honest about everything too. My surgeon even reassured my then 10-yr-old that I'd be fine. My ex??? He kept telling her I could die on the table. You'll be amazed at how quickly EVERYTHING changes. Here's one piece of advice. Each month, on the date of your surgery, take four pictures. Front, facing right, facing left and, yes, a rear shot. When you plateau and only lose pounds you'll see those inches are fading! I love looking at my monthly pics. Oh, and do a spreadsheet and, on that same day, do your measurements. You'll be amazed! I think I still have my spreadsheet. Message me your email and I'll email it to you if you'd like. :D Congrats!!! * Cyndi *

Wow thank you sooo much for sharing!!! I am very fortunate that my hubby and my kids are all on board!! they have been awesome because not only have I had to learn all new eating habits I also had to quit smoking! Proud to say I am one month and 5 days smoke free woo hoo!!! never thought I could do it!! My daughter is 16 and is severely over weight this has been good for both of us! she is eating lean and green with me and cutting out certain foods. our resolution for the new year is to be healthy for life!!! My e-mail is boops12804@yahoo.com! I appreciate you taking the time to share with me! Jenny

AWESOME! You give us all hope as we go forward in our journey! I too have had no complications other than the normal occassional nausea in the beginning, but I learned quick how to avoid that! This was the best thing I have ever done for me! What a life changer......and I'm only a little over 8 months in! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to you!

Jen

Cyndi-What a fun story! I want to be just like you post-surgery...painfree *LOL* I am such a coward when it comes to pain. I know a lot has to do with the surgeon's technique, your general health and how strong of a dose of painkiller the surgeon and / or anesthesiologist is willing to order but I want EVERYTHING so I won't feel ANYTHING *LOL* In any event I know the pain, nausea, dumping, etc. are just steps to a wonderful, new and healthier me.

Congrats and make sure to come back to the forum often so we can check on each other's progress :)

Hi Lv2...I am waiting for my date for the ds surgery (duodenal switch); have you known anyone to have this one done? If so, I'd like to talk to him/her...just to get my "cold belly" ready and willing, without fear or doubts about this irreversible procedure...am excited, though! Can you send me those photos so I can get more comfortable with this whole "dream" about to come true? thx. :)

Back