• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

newbie...just getting started on the journey towards weight loss and surgery

Kayla J

HI everyone. I am new and hoping to make some friends. I have been overweight my whole life and have been an emotional eater. I am excited to change my life and to also get to the root of the eating issues I have. I will not have surgery until September or October because of my insurance. Trying to change my eating habits and start this journey is exciting but also scary. I feel alone in it for the fact that no one I know is obese. Thanks!

HI everyone. I am new and hoping to make some friends. I have been overweight my whole life and have been an emotional eater. I am excited to change my life and to also get to the root of the eating issues I have. I will not have surgery until September or October because of my insurance. Trying to change my eating habits and start this journey is exciting but also scary. I feel alone in it for the fact that no one I know is obese. Thanks!
Hi Kayla and welcome, we're so happy to have you join us here. :) Many of us have struggled with our weight our whole lives, eating is a coping mechanism that a lot of us learn as children. Getting to the root of those issues will be a huge accomplishment. I'm a work in progress for sure but this surgery has allowed me to believe that I'm worthy of loving myself.

Please keep writing, as Taxman said, we've been through just about anything you'll face so hopefully we can make things a little easier for you. :)

Congratulations and Welcome!! Trust the Process my friend!!

Welcome! I am new here myself. I was fortunate to have surgery earlier this month, just before they stopped elective procedures. This has honestly been one of the most difficult things I have ever done. Anyone who says that surgery is the "easy way out" is just ignorant. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and feel alone in my journey as well.

Welcome! I am new here myself. I was fortunate to have surgery earlier this month, just before they stopped elective procedures. This has honestly been one of the most difficult things I have ever done. Anyone who says that surgery is the "easy way out" is just ignorant. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and feel alone in my journey as well.
You are certainly far from alone here! :)

I
[/QUOTE

Hello Kayla, I'm also new I'm in my 3rd month. It is hard but very excited im feeling better i lost 20 lbs by following My Fitness Pal And walking 45 minutes a day. I started walking short walks and now i have worked my way up to at least 45 to an hour of walking every morning. I track my steps i average about 5500 steps a day thats a little more then 2 miles a day, the my fitness pal app is do easy to use. My 4th appt is next Tuesday its going to be a 2 1/2 hour appointment i will be blood work and they are going to check my metabolism. So i also am a bit nervous now since im getting so close to my final visit!

Right now I'm having a bit of difficulty tolerating hardly anything to eat, not to mention I'm far below my daily water intake. As a result, I tire out very easily. Hopefully this is just a temporary setback.
I had the RNY last Dec. I had little trouble getting about 32 ounces almost immediately. The next 32 oz were hard. After a weed or so, I was up to 60-80 oz of liquids, 1/2 water (I use the 0 calories flavor additives to help me get the water down) and the other half is protein shakes, milk and yogurt (Oikos Triple 0). The shakes, milk and yogurt helped me get the protein. It was a few weeks before meat could go down (no matter how much I chewed it). Time will let your body heal, and you will begin to get to your new normal. Hang in there!

Right now I'm having a bit of difficulty tolerating hardly anything to eat, not to mention I'm far below my daily water intake. As a result, I tire out very easily. Hopefully this is just a temporary setback.
Hey Kathryn, Taxman couldn't have said it any better. When you mention being far below your daily fluid intake, that worries me, How long ago was your surgery, 3 weeks? You need your fluids way more than anything else so please do all you can to prevent dehydration. Ice chips, sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, tea, anything that will go down. Experimenting with both warm and cold helps some people.

Once you have some more time in, you'll look back at this as such a temporary blip in the scheme of things. Good luck. :)

Hi Kayla! I'm a fairly new member also and have found many friends on this board. I'm in a holding pattern, waiting for elective surgeries to be performed again. Glad you have started your journey.
what is your doctor telling you to do so you font get dehydrated?

Back