• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie would like support , information and tips for success.

Barbie325

Hello, I just had my gastric bypass surgery on Wed. Nov. 12. I am following all my post-op instructions. I am feeling better than I thought I would so soon after surgery. I am up to 50 oz of fluids/day, including 3 oz of protein shake 3x/day, doing the spirometer, short walks and some light housework. I am hoping the way I feel continues without any complications. Any advise is welcomed.

Hello, I just had my gastric bypass surgery on Wed. Nov. 12. I am following all my post-op instructions. I am feeling better than I thought I would so soon after surgery. I am up to 50 oz of fluids/day, including 3 oz of protein shake 3x/day, doing the spirometer, short walks and some light housework. I am hoping the way I feel continues without any complications. Any advise is welcomed.

Hi Barbie, WELCOME to the Forum!!!

My advise to you is to be very careful when you start eating real food not to stretch out your new tiny tummy. Eat very slowly, chew each bite very well and don't eat while doing other things or you may find yourself gulping down your food fast as old habits will come back if you have your mind on something else. Get enough rest and sleep especially during the first month so your body can heal well. Don't overdo the exercise and housework right now, you are only 5 days out from surgery. You have the rest of your life to get in awesome shape! :)

Good Luck!!!

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi Barbie, WELCOME to the Forum!!!

My advise to you is to be very careful when you start eating real food not to stretch out your new tiny tummy. Eat very slowly, chew each bite very well and don't eat while doing other things or you may find yourself gulping down your food fast as old habits will come back if you have your mind on something else. Get enough rest and sleep especially during the first month so your body can heal well. Don't overdo the exercise and housework right now, you are only 5 days out from surgery. You have the rest of your life to get in awesome shape! :)

Good Luck!!!

Cheyenne :cool:

Cheyenne is giving you such great advice. I second her thoughts.

It is so important to allow yourself to heal.

The fact that you came out of surgery feeling good and doing well is an excellent start.

Continue on this path and you will be at goal before you know it.

I see that you gained weight after surgery. That is common since the hospital typically pumps you up with fluids to prevent dehydration in the early post op weeks.

Great work.

Ralph

Thank--you, Cheyenne and Dancinbr, for your responses and advise. I am so glad I found this site and I'm sure it will be very helpful for my weight loss success.

Thank--you, Cheyenne and Dancinbr, for your responses and advise. I am so glad I found this site and I'm sure it will be very helpful for my weight loss success.

You are welcome.

Keep coming back here and ask away as you feel the need.

The only stupid question you could ask is the one you didn't. :=)

Ralph

Back