• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am 12 days post op gastric sleeve. I am new to to the group. I have lost 15lbs since surgery date. I am concerned because I have not lost weight the past two days. Is this normal?
Try not to focus on the weight you're losing. You've just had major surgery that is affecting many of your organs, not to mention your basal metabolism. I've mentioned "adaptive thermogenesis" many times. It's more commonly known as "starvation response." Your body notices that you're not burning food at the same rate, and you're probably eating much less food, so it kicks into gear to make sure you don't die. It's very common; almost everyone has an early stall that scares them.

I overcame my stall by increasing my activity. You can do something as simple as walking, or as I did, hiking mountains. You can take an aerobics class or just do more stuff around the house, or walk around the block, or park far away from the store when you go to a store.

Anyway, it's nothing to worry about. You may continue to go slowly, or you may suddenly burst into a a calorie-burning frenzy. You had the surgery, and the surgery works. Try to relax now and let it happen.

This is helpful for me too. I had surgery 12/22/23 and have only lost 15 lbs total. 8 pounds during prep and 7 lbs since my surgery on 12/22/23. I've been sad about it and weighing myself too much. Thank you for the great advice. I'm going to put the scale away and concentrate on my walking.

Last edited:
Back