• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

healthy0ma

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have had a rou-en-Y procedure done on September 4th. I had tried several diets and excersize. I even hired a trainer for about 6 months. During those six months, I firmed up and felt better but no weight loss. I had several health issues, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have lots of joint pain and was on three different meds to help with that. dx of fibromyalgia and erosive arthritis. I am a nurse and working on a unit which entails a lot of walking. My max weight was 228# and I am now down to 186#. I felt I went into the surgery with open eyes and very informed. Surgery was a breeze but I have a few obstacles. One is that I am not being able to take in enough protien. I do not tolerate the protein shakes well. not because of taste but because it gives me abd bloat and lots of gas. I tried and am doing some of the protein chicken soup. I tried the protein bullets and couldn't get that down either. I am on phase 2 of the diet in which I can have sugar free yogurt, sugar free applesauce, cottage cheese, overcooked veggies and scrambled egg. I tried baked fish last night with some broccoli but had a lot of burping and abd pain after eating it. My other problem is that I can't get in the food and the pills i need to take for bp and such. Also I don't like the chewable vitamins. Just bought some chocolate vitamin powder that is not too bad. I also notice that when I go to meijers or vacuum or something I get very tired quickly. I will be returning to work in 2 weeks. I would like to know if the above things are sort of par for the course and if it will get better. I sure hope so. One day I was wondering if I made the right decision. I really had the surgery because I watch my mom struggle with the same health problems that I have and she is 82 and I just wanted a better end of life scenario for myself. Everyone says, "I can't believe you had that done, you were not that heavy." but for me it wasn't all about weight. Thanks for listening

Hello, healthy0ma,

Welcome in! And Congratulations on gifting yourself with wls.

As a nurse, you know more than most how critical the protein requirement of your food plan is. I'm guessing it is whey based protein shakes you have a problem with. There are many other options available. Most common being soy and egg.

I recently tried Healthy N Fit 100% Egg Protein. It was very light and "clean" to my mouth. The taste was pleasing. Strawberry Passion is the flavor I had. I mixed it with plain water and ice in a Vita Mix. It foamed the least of any of the protein supplements I've tried. Less foam equals less air equals less chance of discomfort.

As to the protein bullets, most of them are pretty stout, to be sure! I find mixing them half and half with sugar-free jello makes them quite palatable; I use a 2oz deli cup with a lid, pop 'em in the fridge, let 'em set up and eat them at my leisure.

People "on the outside" don't understand. WLS rarely is only about the weight.

These are early days for you, not even one month out from your surgery. Most of the people here say it gets better as time passes.

Seems to me you've already done the hardest part . . . making the decision. Again, I offer my congratulations.

Let us know how you're doing. There is some fantastic support here.

Thanks for the reply. I was drinking some shakes before surgery and they went down easier than after. I am eating some foods now. It is getting better but I know that I am not meeting my protien goal. I saw the doctor yesterday. He said I could add one food at a time and see how it goes. Last night after my appt, I bought shrimp coctail because I know it has a lot of protien. tasted awesome but did cause some discomfort, which eventually went away with no vomiting. He put my mind at ease telling me that the general fatigue I have after doing something is normal for at least a month. We talked about stricture which after thinking about it could be the problem, because the pain I have is right after eating, lots of burping and pain in epigastric area. I will be joining a support group in his office this month where I think I will be able to meet with others that may have had somewhat of a problem with food. He is happy with my progress. I made some good soup with beans for the protien, tomato based with zuchinni and carrots in it. It went down well and was very yummy. I made my decision pretty easily but then had a few reservations right before. I think it was the hardest decision ever. My family was supportive. Again thank you for your support, and good luck with your decision.

Back