• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newme2022

Newme2022

So I’m new I had my surgery on 5-9-2022. I’m 5 days post op and not happy. I’m still on a full liquid diet but nothing tastes good to me, & before on my pre diet everything was fine. I even lost 20 lbs. I’ve took en meds for depression for years but I haven’t since the surgery. I’m starting to feel the depression, I cry every day for everything but I’m not doing a good job swollowing my pills, not even my vitamins. I just want to also eat a healthy meal other than liquids. My question is even though I’m not supposed to eat any soft or solid foods, should I try just to see how much I can tolorate it. I’m sick of the liquids.

Welcome! I had VSG 3/17/22. I am not giving medical advice but I would reach out to your bariatric team to talk to the therapist. I wouldn’t attempt to stray from the food stages because it has healing and reducing complications in mind. You do not want to go back to the hospital because of complications from advancing your diet too soon. It is tough and a big adjustment. I’m bipolar and struggle with my depression. The surgery helped in a way that I have to just reach out more and talk things out rather than hide eat excessively, drink copious amounts of alcohol, and spend money like crazy. Take it one moment at a time and reach out to talk to a professional. I’m pulling for you❤️

E="Newme2022, post: 122338, member: 17634"]
So I’m new I had my surgery on 5-9-2022. I’m 5 days post op and not happy. I’m still on a full liquid diet but nothing tastes good to me, & before on my pre diet everything was fine. I even lost 20 lbs. I’ve took en meds for depression for years but I haven’t since the surgery. I’m starting to feel the depression, I cry every day for everything but I’m not doing a good job swollowing my pills, not even my vitamins. I just want to also eat a healthy meal other than liquids. My question is even though I’m not supposed to eat any soft or solid foods, should I try just to see how much I can tolorate it. I’m sick of the liquids.

Your doctor and surgeon should have been fully informed of all the meds you take. Run, don't walk, back to your bariatric team and tell all. There are ways you can take meds prior to the solid phase. You are not a doctor. Get medical advice from one.

Yes I'm on 2 anti-depressants and there is no way I would have been willing to stop taking them post-surgery. You definitely do NOT want to introduce anything beyond liquids while your sutures internally are healing or you risk having them open up. Peritonitis etc possibly could occur. Trust us, a few weeks of liquids will set the stage for a whole new healthier life. You can do this. Please don't give up on yourself. ❤❤

You really shouldn't advance your food stages until the Dr says so. I know it's gotta be so frustrating and gross to still be on liquids after all that time but it's so important for your health - just like your depression meds! I went off cold turkey one time and I had a severe episode. They are so important! Good luck and make sure you advocate for yourself!

First off, no, you should not just "try" solid food. Your stomach has been mostly removed and what is left has a large, healing wound.
Secondly, you need to get back on your meds. If you cannot swallow them whole, break them up into applesauce or yogurt.

Many of us cried during those first few weeks. Surgery is traumatic. Not eating is traumatic. Thinking about the drastic change you just made can put you into panic mode. So basically "What the hell have I done to myself?!?!?" Try to remind yourself that what you have done is FOR yourself, your health, your future, your quality of life. This stage is a temporary inconvenience. It's scary, somewhat awful and hard but temporary. And well worth the effort.

Hang in there. You can do this.

If your meds aren't time released you can crush them and swallow with liquid. It doesn't taste the best but at least you are getting your meds. They may also actually come in liquid form, you can ask your prescribing doctor or even the pharmacist.

As far as tired of liquids, I get it. We all get it but it is what we have to do. You're healing, and you insides need time to heal.
I couldn't drink plain store bought broth, during liquids for me I drank a lot of FF Milk. I also bought different soups and only drank the broth while other people ate the "soup" part. This allowed for a lot more flavor and way more options.

Lastly, talk to your surgeon. Explain your challenges. I am sure they have heard it all and can provide some insight. My team actually gave me permission to start soft foods a day early so I could start on a weekend and be home from work if I have problems with it. So, if you are considering moving to the next phase a few days early, ask for permission but listen and respect his/her answer. In this case, they know what's best.

Good luck and you will be eating healthy meals soon enough!

Back