• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Next step, meet with the surgeon - still uncertain

Bendy

I am still uncertain about doing this. I am very concerned about how it will affect me as I grow older with the changes in my body due to the normal aging process. I need to hear from someone who had this done about 15 - 20 years ago. Can anyone help me?

I am still uncertain about doing this. I am very concerned about how it will affect me as I grow older with the changes in my body due to the normal aging process. I need to hear from someone who had this done about 15 - 20 years ago. Can anyone help me?

Things are quite different today with laproscopic surgery and all that. The procedure and the support has dramatically improved over the past 10 years for sure. I looked at this 10 years ago and held off. My first post op anniversary is 11/4/2014. I have made goal.

As to how it effects you as you get old, I believe it has saved my life and hopefully extended my life span.

Here are my accomplishments over the past year as a result of this surgery and new lifestyle.

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

So, my opinion there are no negatives!

This of course assumes you follow your program faithfully as I have and many people in this forum as well.

There are people who have gone back to their old habits and ruined everything and regained the weight they lost; yes that can happen. This is a tool a great tool to give you the initial incentive to lose a massive amount of weight and during this time you learn to eat in a new way. Eating is no longer the center of your life; that is the main adjustment.

I still enjoy what I want when I want it, but in limited quantities. All while losing weight I stayed around 1200 calories per day. Now, I am maintaining between 1500 to 1800 calories a day.

Exercise is important something as simple as walking a mile a day.

There are many that really get into the exercise.

You will end up with a lot of excess skin after losing a 100 pounds or more. Some of us live with it (probably most) and others have gone for cosmetic surgery, which is an expense that you would have to carry on your own.

No matter what you will be a whole lot better off having the surgery. I am assuming, like most of us, that you need to lose 100 or more pounds and/or you have serious medical issues as a result of excessive weight.

Ralph

Back