• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

nicotine test

I do not smoke and had to have a nicotine test. It was done with my last set of bloodwork, which was also about 2 weeks before surgery.
Thinking about it, they could have tested and I didn’t know, but I don’t remember seeing it on any tests results.

Do a search through the last few years of posts. My impression is that while people are pre-opping, they are told they'll be tested morning of. Evidence of smoking is detectable for weeks after quitting.

Smoking and general anaesthesia can cause stroke or death.

Be honest with your surgical team. They have work-arounds for this and won't cancel you before they do everything they can to work with you safely.

Do a search through the last few years of posts. My impression is that while people are pre-opping, they are told they'll be tested morning of. Evidence of smoking is detectable for weeks after quitting.

Smoking and general anaesthesia can cause stroke or death.

Be honest with your surgical team. They have work-arounds for this and won't cancel you before they do everything they can to work with you safely.
Agree. I told my anesthesiologist that I smoked weed 2 days before surgery. I wanted them to know.

Back