• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

No bowel movement for 7 days

after surgery, passed gas well. I have been home for 5 days and still pass gas and can feel movement but so far no bowel movement. Is this normal? Should i be taking something? Suppository? Just nervous.

Yep, same thing happened to me. Suppositories worked for me. Also drinking fiber lax like Miramax. My doctor said not to worry too much because I was only on liquids the first week and I wasn't going to have much poop til I ate food. But.. My severe constipation persisted for over a year til I ate more fruits and carbs in my diet but I didn't want to do that at first or I wouldn't have lost the weight like I did. I lost a lot of weight fast and that was great for me. Carbs have made my weight plateau recently but I haven't gained any weight back. I'm now ready to dive back into my low carb way of eating to get down to my goal weight.

Cheyenne

Thanks for that reply...it makes me feel better. This has been awesome and i think i may be looking for problems, it seems too easy. I had a 6 month wait thru my insurance so i had plenty of time to hit the support groups and educate myself. I am very happy making it my first week.

Well I really enjoyed my weight loss journey. Follow the proper eating, high protein low carbs, vitamins, supplements, kept myself hydrated and the weight melted off. Stomach size is tiny so I truly feel super full with very little food. I think it was very easy compared to trying to diet before the surgery. Just don't stretch the new size tummy too quickly. Eventually I was able to eat 4 oz. at a time (1/2 cup ) but that took me over a year, actually about 15 months to do it.

Good Luck!

Cheyenne

I still to this day have to take an occasional laxative to keep things moving properly. The main reason for me is I have such an issue consuming veggies. I have gotten better with salads and that has helped. But I have to eat so slowly and deal with the "belches" all the time. It is the way it is.

So, what you are experiencing is common. To this day I have constipation. But it moves. A laxative brings relief.

Ralph

It should work itself out. Be sure to drink your fluids and activity will help too so walk as much as possible. (I still find that jogging/walking loosens things up for me)

Hi Bill, same thing happened to me about 2 months post-op. I tried everything you can imagine (and then some, I won't go into details). The only thing I thought I was doing wrong was not getting my 64oz. of water/fluid per day. That has been a constant problem for me in the whole 7 months. I HATE water. But once I really pushed the fluid intake, I finally was able to start going. Sometimes I still go too long without a BM, but my protein shakes (yes, I still drink those to help me get my protein) help. Hang in there.....I was in total misery for 2 weeks, thought I was gonna die and I really regretted having the surgery, that's how bad I was doing. I got through this and so will you!

Thanks for the response. Yes it is better, I do occasionally take some sips of milk of magnesia and chocolate Ex lax helps. I do not need it much but it does help. Daily poops are normal now...the first time in my life. I drink pure protein from trader joes....11 oz. 23 G protein. I was drinking muscle milk but do not like the sucrolose....

after surgery, passed gas well. I have been home for 5 days and still pass gas and can feel movement but so far no bowel movement. Is this normal? Should i be taking something? Suppository? Just nervous.

I had the same problem after surgery. My doctor told me to take milk of magnesia and it works for me. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

I also have used chocolate exlax occasionally and it works very well. I am careful not to use laxatives too often as it can make it so you can't go without them. My mom had that problem. I like to use suppositories the kind that are just a glycerin lubricant. That also works well for me.

Cheyenne

Back