• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

No Excuses

ccrensh1

My initial appointment with my WLS surgeon is in 6 days...and I’m 100% committed to showing up and beginning this process of healing my mind, my body, my soul. 31 years of destroying it have caught up with me and now my body is screaming that it’s hurting...if I don’t turn this around it’ll give out. I had appointments for consults scheduled over a year and a half ago but kept backing out and in that time I gained close to 80 pounds, blood pressure/cholesterol/heart rate and sugars climbed, other things declined...my whole body hurts.

It’s time for surrender and change. I’m going to that appointment on the 25th...NO EXCUSES.

Good for you! This journey really does seem like it’s 50% mental and 50% physical. Once I attended my first consultation, I knew it was meant to be. I cried on the drive home because I knew this was the beginning of a new ME. Since surgery doesn’t happen overnight, you will have plenty of time to absorb and understand each step along the way, ask questions, read information online and process everything in your head. Stick with it, you deserve this!

Good for you! This journey really does seem like it’s 50% mental and 50% physical. Once I attended my first consultation, I knew it was meant to be. I cried on the drive home because I knew this was the beginning of a new ME. Since surgery doesn’t happen overnight, you will have plenty of time to absorb and understand each step along the way, ask questions, read information online and process everything in your head. Stick with it, you deserve this!

I think it is 90% mental and 10% physical. The Sad reality is that most health systems have minimal mental health support in this process and all is focused in training people to eat preportioned packaged meals. IMHO, this process needs to come with real, fresh food prep education and a ton of mental health support. Sugar is just like drug, nicotine or alcohol addiction. No difference.

IMHO, this process needs to come with real, fresh food prep education and a ton of mental health support.
I totally agree 100%! It’s ironic that we all had to have a psych evaluation before surgery to ensure that we are mentally prepared for surgery, but there is no required therapy after surgery to help us adapt to our new way of life. My stomach has changed, but my mind has NOT. It’s a mental struggle every day. Thankfully, I have my first therapy appointment next week.

I totally agree 100%! It’s ironic that we all had to have a psych evaluation before surgery to ensure that we are mentally prepared for surgery, but there is no required therapy after surgery to help us adapt to our new way of life. My stomach has changed, but my mind has NOT. It’s a mental struggle every day. Thankfully, I have my first therapy appointment next week.
That appointment IMHO has nothing to do with mental preparedness. It is done as step one. You have no clue what is coming, how can you "be prepared" for it? It is just a check box that some insurance/pharma exec put in without any input from people who deal with the process.

My initial appointment with my WLS surgeon is in 6 days...and I’m 100% committed to showing up and beginning this process of healing my mind, my body, my soul. 31 years of destroying it have caught up with me and now my body is screaming that it’s hurting...if I don’t turn this around it’ll give out. I had appointments for consults scheduled over a year and a half ago but kept backing out and in that time I gained close to 80 pounds, blood pressure/cholesterol/heart rate and sugars climbed, other things declined...my whole body hurts.

It’s time for surrender and change. I’m going to that appointment on the 25th...NO EXCUSES.
Which surgery are you having?

The psych eval is what I dread the most because I have Bipolar I. I agree with all of you though. I don’t believe there is adequate emotional follow up following surgery. My mom had gastric bypass and had no real support after and she was not successful long term. She said she mourned for her old life and her old food and didn’t know what to do about it. She gave in eventually, but that doesn’t mean you have to. There will be highs and lows, but keep talking to this group and be proactive about getting therapy and utilize the support groups offered. It will make the difference long term I believe

I think it is 90% mental and 10% physical. The Sad reality is that most health systems have minimal mental health support in this process and all is focused in training people to eat preportioned packaged meals. IMHO, this process needs to come with real, fresh food prep education and a ton of mental health support. Sugar is just like drug, nicotine or alcohol addiction. No difference.
I don't know if your program is typical or an outlier, but promoting preportioned package meals was never part of my experience before or after surgery.

We all went through an educational class about 3-4 months into the program. We were given suggestions about eating healthier, less processed foods in the months leading up to surgery (lower fat & less sugars and carbs, more fresh or frozen veggies, etc.).

For preparing for after surgery, we were educated on the stages of post surgery eating. Other than recommending protein shakes to keep our protein levels at 60+ gms for the 1st few weeks, nowhere were we encouraged to eat anything pre-packaged. The choice was ours whether to drink protein shakes or add protein powder to broth, soups, etc, and no particular brand was suggested or pushed. We actually were encouraged to get our protein & other nutrition from fresh foods once our bodies were healed.

Sorry you are having such a negative experience.

I am so happy for you finally finding the courage to take this first big step - it's a doozie lol. Once you make up your mind to get healthy and change your life, you will be unstoppable! You are awesome!!!

I don't know if your program is typical or an outlier, but promoting preportioned package meals was never part of my experience before or after surgery.

We all went through an educational class about 3-4 months into the program. We were given suggestions about eating healthier, less processed foods in the months leading up to surgery (lower fat & less sugars and carbs, more fresh or frozen veggies, etc.).

For preparing for after surgery, we were educated on the stages of post surgery eating. Other than recommending protein shakes to keep our protein levels at 60+ gms for the 1st few weeks, nowhere were we encouraged to eat anything pre-packaged. The choice was ours whether to drink protein shakes or add protein powder to broth, soups, etc, and no particular brand was suggested or pushed. We actually were encouraged to get our protein & other nutrition from fresh foods once our bodies were healed.

Sorry you are having such a negative experience.
Ok, and what does "less processed mean" to each person? Any education on HOW to make those less processed foods? Why use processed foods at all? I do not have that problem. I cook.
how much education was there on how to cook simple chicken for a bariatric patient? how to steam veggies. How to shop outside the bar-coded, packaged junk isles. I looked through bariatric websites...small packages of potato chips sold as "healthy food" to bariatric patients. what's healthy about them? There is no education on cooking at all. There is no mental support for sugar addictions people are trying to kick through this process. This problem we are trying to solve is only partial physical problem. There needs to be some kind of mental component and a simple cooking class, if you ask me.

Back