• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Non scale victories...also known as NSV's

CNL04321

I'll go first. Here are a few of my non scale victories:

1. I can tie my shoes without making funny noises
  2. I can cross my legs again
  3. Warning...TMI...I can reach behind and clean myself after going to the bathroom. That was very difficult before losing weight. I had a bidet put in for that prior to surgery.
  4. I fit in a chair without my hips touching the sides.
  5. I dont have to shop in the big girl section anymore.
  6. My old pants are literally falling down when i walk.
  7. I can turn over in bed without it being a 5 step procedure.
  8. I no longer snore and got rid of the CPAP machine
  9. I can see my neck
  10. My husband can feel my bones again, hip bones, ribs. And.... I can see them again!
  11. Sex is way better!!!
Please share your NSV's

Last edited:
So far, ...
  1. friends and husband sees the weightloss when they see me again and complement me.
  2. mood enhanced by treating myself well, "Finallyme" is the name i picked for this forum bc, it is my turn to take care of me.
  3. clothes i bought during other weightloss journeys are slowly fitting again and i donated larger sizes i won't go back to wearing.
  4. I am using the smaller wristband on my Apple watch and my fancy watch fits again.
  5. I can see changes in my body size

Cannot wait to add to this list when I lose more weight.

So far, ...
  1. friends and husband sees the weightloss when they see me again and complement me.
  2. mood enhanced by treating myself well, "Finallyme" is the name i picked for this forum bc, it is my turn to take care of me.
  3. clothes i bought during other weightloss journeys are slowly fitting again and i donated larger sizes i won't go back to wearing.
  4. I am using the smaller wristband on my Apple watch and my fancy watch fits again.
  5. I can see changes in my body size
Cannot wait to add to this list when I lose more weight.
Those are all great NSV's. I also had to switch my apple watch band for a smaller one :)

I share most of your list, but the one that thrilled me the most was being able to cross my legs at the knees again. I have a piggish family where most people stuff themselves with food and will find any excuse to have a potluck, and none of them can cross their legs at the knee. I'm kind of a brat about it and will deliberately cross and recross my legs at the knees just to bug them. They're really mean, so they are definitely ready to do find some kind of revenge or counterpoint to make me feel bad about my physical self. I had seven siblings and it was like they had a secret deal to out-eat each other and say nothing. When I lost 115 pounds after RYGB, they actually stopped speaking to me and excluded me from events. I guess you could say these are NSVs in a negative sense. However, I do have many NSVs in my life but they're mostly just internal boosts to my self-esteem, which is awesome.

I share most of your list, but the one that thrilled me the most was being able to cross my legs at the knees again. I have a piggish family where most people stuff themselves with food and will find any excuse to have a potluck, and none of them can cross their legs at the knee. I'm kind of a brat about it and will deliberately cross and recross my legs at the knees just to bug them. They're really mean, so they are definitely ready to do find some kind of revenge or counterpoint to make me feel bad about my physical self. I had seven siblings and it was like they had a secret deal to out-eat each other and say nothing. When I lost 115 pounds after RYGB, they actually stopped speaking to me and excluded me from events. I guess you could say these are NSVs in a negative sense. However, I do have many NSVs in my life but they're mostly just internal boosts to my self-esteem, which is awesome.

Thank you for sharing Diane. Hurtful words impact the most and are the hardest to ignore from those we are close to because we should be able to trust family to be on our side. I had a lot of negative habits taught by the way I grew up, everything social was a potluck, and my parents (both are obese) always gushed about how good the food was and how they had to try everything. Dessert plates were as big as the dinner plate. They loved buffet restaurants, my Dad baked rich desserts, we were expected to clean our plates. I thought it was completely normal to eat too much, until the weight came on as an older teen and no amount of aerobics could curb my appetite. The worst habit my Mom taught me was the negative self-talk habit.

I started the diet cycle before I met my husband, and it never ended. Every few years I would diet myself halfway to my goal only to gain it back and more when I got exhausted from my whole life revolving around a particular diet and exercise regime. Thus losing half of what I wanted before I gave up just meant I was netting a gain over the years. I would get depressed during gains which fueled bad eating patterns. Once I was married I really only had negative talk in my own head. I learned this from my Mom, she was always talking critically about herself and warning me not to repeat her mistakes. Mom is my biggest cheerleader but the burden of both mine and her weightloss journeys over the years does make the emotional toll even harder. She is my "BIG WHY", her health problems are what I am trying to avoid by getting my health under control once and for all.

A few years back, I had a few friends have weightloss surgery and when I asked them about it they were very encouraging to me and are still the one's that gush over my experience now and are always willing to listen and show genuine empathy and support which is priceless. I appreciate this site because we all seem to be able to share authentic experiences and that comraderie is encouraging. I am glad you have this group and hope you have people in your life now who are supportive and can give you a physical hug of comfort when you need it.

Back