• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Non stop acid reflux

Hi. My name's Lisa and I'm just over 4 weeks post-op. About a week and a half ago i developed horrible acid reflux. Prior to surgery i had GERD and took rx for it, so i started taking it again. No help. Went to dr last week. Gave me a 2nd rx and then a 3rd one. Still happening. I haven't been able to sleep laying down for 3 weeks now. Does anyone have suggestions?

Did you go to your regular doctor or your bariatric clinic doctor? This may not be related to your surgery, and you may have some sort of condition that needs a separate treatment. You shouldn't have to take meds for the rest of your life because you have reflux. But I did know a woman who had it bad, who had years of bulimarexia, and threw up ritually several times a day. She was of normal height/weight.

My suggestion is to see another doctor, someone who doesn't have any skin in this game. One thing I have learned about doctors over the years is that they never admit to making a mistake. So a disinterested third party--and possibly even start documenting this with a lawyer--because you HAVE to find out. This is a serious condition, not just an inconvenience.

Proton Pump Inhibitors like Ondansetron are usually given for these. But I read a British 10-year study that indicated this medication can lead, in a roundabout way, to dementia. So I stopped taking it immediately.

Best of luck, and please keep us updated.

Did you go to your regular doctor or your bariatric clinic doctor? This may not be related to your surgery, and you may have some sort of condition that needs a separate treatment. You shouldn't have to take meds for the rest of your life because you have reflux. But I did know a woman who had it bad, who had years of bulimarexia, and threw up ritually several times a day. She was of normal height/weight.

My suggestion is to see another doctor, someone who doesn't have any skin in this game. One thing I have learned about doctors over the years is that they never admit to making a mistake. So a disinterested third party--and possibly even start documenting this with a lawyer--because you HAVE to find out. This is a serious condition, not just an inconvenience.

Proton Pump Inhibitors like Ondansetron are usually given for these. But I read a British 10-year study that indicated this medication can lead, in a roundabout way, to dementia. So I stopped taking it immediately.

Best of luck, and please keep us updated.
Thank you. I went for my 1 month checkup Wed with the surgeon. He said only that i can take a stronger med and/or supplement with Tums. I then went to my primary on Fri who gave me 2 addl meds to take.

What i do plan on following up is that for about 20 years I've been told i have a hiatal hernia. When i asked my surgeon Wed if he repaired it he actually looked a little uneasy. On my way out he had a whispered convo with his nurse and then told me he saw no hernia when he was in there.

Thank you. I went for my 1 month checkup Wed with the surgeon. He said only that i can take a stronger med and/or supplement with Tums. I then went to my primary on Fri who gave me 2 addl meds to take.

What i do plan on following up is that for about 20 years I've been told i have a hiatal hernia. When i asked my surgeon Wed if he repaired it he actually looked a little uneasy. On my way out he had a whispered convo with his nurse and then told me he saw no hernia when he was in there.
What!!!!!

Did you have a sleeve done?

Consult a GI doctor, I had to have an endoscopy before RYGB surgery, and my GI doctor followed up with me about my esophagus health. He had found Barrett's esophagus and prescribed a different acid reflux med then my surgeon had me on. My surgeon had me on acid reducers anyway, but my GI doctor had to switch me to a stronger one based on his diagnosis. Tums can make the situation worse if it is digestion induced. When I have had episodes of nausea following surgery for various reasons (eating too fast, wrong foods, eating too much, not stopping when full, etc). If nauseated or after vomitting, I had not been able to keep anything down for almost 2 hours, meds or not! Just relaxing and breathing until the episode passes is the best meds. When I feel everything is relaxed I try 2 oz of clear liquid for about an hour, basically working through the phases of my nutrition plan slowly ea hour. Some OTC antacid treatments are NSAIDs so be careful with that as well and ask the pharmacist.

Hi. My name's Lisa and I'm just over 4 weeks post-op. About a week and a half ago i developed horrible acid reflux. Prior to surgery i had GERD and took rx for it, so i started taking it again. No help. Went to dr last week. Gave me a 2nd rx and then a 3rd one. Still happening. I haven't been able to sleep laying down for 3 weeks now. Does anyone have suggestions?
Sleeve or bypass ?
Possible hiatel hernia overlooked or caused by surgery

Consult a GI doctor, I had to have an endoscopy before RYGB surgery, and my GI doctor followed up with me about my esophagus health. He had found Barrett's esophagus and prescribed a different acid reflux med then my surgeon had me on. My surgeon had me on acid reducers anyway, but my GI doctor had to switch me to a stronger one based on his diagnosis. Tums can make the situation worse if it is digestion induced. When I have had episodes of nausea following surgery for various reasons (eating too fast, wrong foods, eating too much, not stopping when full, etc). If nauseated or after vomitting, I had not been able to keep anything down for almost 2 hours, meds or not! Just relaxing and breathing until the episode passes is the best meds. When I feel everything is relaxed I try 2 oz of clear liquid for about an hour, basically working through the phases of my nutrition plan slowly ea hour. Some OTC antacid treatments are NSAIDs so be careful with that as well and ask the pharmacist.
When Gerd first started l was taking tums a lot . Well they stop a bunch of meds from being absorbed!!

Ok

Hi, Your story sounds a little like mine. I am two week post and have nausea and vomiting daily but due to bad acid reflux. Worse then I had before the surgery. I couldn't sleep flat then or now. I was also told.I had a hernia 20 years ago that my doctor was supposed to repair but he couldn't find it once inside. I am.hoping you feel.better since it's been a couple of months.I am also hoping my GERD stops hence its why I had the surgery. I stopped a daily acid med since its side effect is nausea and vomiting. I thought it was the cause but nope, my daily issue is still here. My bariatric doctor is asking me.to give it 2/3 more weeks because he swears I will be better. Are you better after two months?

Back