• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

not bad for a senior citizen

Just got my blood panel results from my doctor visit yesterday:

Here your labs.
Your vitamin B12 level is elevated so you can reduce the amount of B12 supplement that you take.
Your cholesterol improved from your last check it is down to 221.
Your diabetes test is just slightly elevated so I would try to work on increasing exercise.
Thyroid check is normal.
Your kidney check is normal.
You have 1 just slightly elevated liver tests but nothing significant.
Vitamin D level is normal.
Blood count is normal with no sign of anemia or infection.

This is thrilling to me because I did have hepatitis 40 years ago and have had worrying liver tests. Now I'm 70 and my biggest fear is dying slowly with required medications, like everyone else in my family. I had Graves Disease in 1985 and that meant I'd need thyroid replacement hormone the rest of my life. My highest known cholesterol was 365.

I'm so scared to mix with people, I just don't go out. I went to QFC after my doctor appointment and panicked so badly, i couldnt finish the shopping I'd planned. I'm mildly to severely agoraphobic anyway, which is why I usually have groceries delivered. I usually double-mask and wear a plastic face shield and latex gloves.

It may sound weird, but do you realize the most common way to transfer flu germs is touch? That means door handles, checking out produce fondled by others, standing near the aerosol from a sneeze or cough... breathing the air.

I live alone. I can't get sick. I'd rather die from Covid than expose my beautiful son to it. I've lived a life you could write a novel about. Now I just want to weather this storm and spend the next 20 or 25 years hiking, canoeing, camping, smiling back at strangers, enjoying this group and its stories.

And loving and being loved... I've been near death a few times. Never again. Live or die, nothing in-between.

My one regret is that I'm a clutterer, and I dont see that changing. But I'm gonna work on it, regardless.

Tips appreciated!

Oh, Diane that is great news. Every update you give, on your health or your general well being, is just inspiration for me. You generously share your struggles and your successes. Which helps me believe that I can struggle and still end up successful. It's very motivating. I have an aunt Diane, but when I tell my husband "Diane said" he says "from group?" lmao

I think everyone's worst fear is dying slowly. I 100% agree with you, I want to live or die, no long term suffering in between. I think this pandemic has gotten everyone freaked out. As you know, the vaccine is extremely effective at avoiding severe covid. So, while the weather is still nice, and you can actually avoid close contact with people, you should try to take a walk. Or meet your son in the park for a coffee. You can take some folding chairs or a picnic blanket, so you're still apart .. but together. Giving up human contact has (imho) had a devastating effect on our countries mental health. There are ways to be safe. I know you know them all. You seem to be a very outdoorsy type person and should not have to give up those things you love when there are ways to safely enjoy them. Besides if you stay inside, you're going to try to unclutter .. and what fun is that? No one ever said "I wish I'd have spent more time cleaning my house!" on their deathbed. Do what you love!

I am OCD just hearing about clutter gives me stress. LOL I do not like things sitting around or even on my walls. I do let me husband put a few things up but anything more will drive me nuts. Kind of sad but I can't help it.

Getting scorpions in the house has only made this worse that it was before. I don't not even like to have shoes on the floor now. But so easy to mop my floors.

You guys! I love you, and love being here.

When i discovered this group a few years ago, it was a ghost town. People would pop in and out, but only a few of us stayed. We formed a bond and genuinely welcomed newbies.

And it grew. The people who've passed through were like precious jewels. I could never leave, though i tried for a few months one time.

I've never been a member of such an amazing online group. I appreciate and trust everyone here, regardless of compatibility.

Thanks for your support of me. I'll always try to be real and demonstrate my respect for you all.

"You complete me."

Oh, Diane that is great news. Every update you give, on your health or your general well being, is just inspiration for me. You generously share your struggles and your successes. Which helps me believe that I can struggle and still end up successful. It's very motivating. I have an aunt Diane, but when I tell my husband "Diane said" he says "from group?" lmao

I think everyone's worst fear is dying slowly. I 100% agree with you, I want to live or die, no long term suffering in between. I think this pandemic has gotten everyone freaked out. As you know, the vaccine is extremely effective at avoiding severe covid. So, while the weather is still nice, and you can actually avoid close contact with people, you should try to take a walk. Or meet your son in the park for a coffee. You can take some folding chairs or a picnic blanket, so you're still apart .. but together. Giving up human contact has (imho) had a devastating effect on our countries mental health. There are ways to be safe. I know you know them all. You seem to be a very outdoorsy type person and should not have to give up those things you love when there are ways to safely enjoy them. Besides if you stay inside, you're going to try to unclutter .. and what fun is that? No one ever said "I wish I'd have spent more time cleaning my house!" on their deathbed. Do what you love!
And Missy, I love the fact that you've shared photos, which are truly worth a thousand words. You are an inspiration, and still young enough to fully capitalize in your success.❤

You guys! I love you, and love being here.

When i discovered this group a few years ago, it was a ghost town. People would pop in and out, but only a few of us stayed. We formed a bond and genuinely welcomed newbies.

And it grew. The people who've passed through were like precious jewels. I could never leave, though i tried for a few months one time.

I've never been a member of such an amazing online group. I appreciate and trust everyone here, regardless of compatibility.

Thanks for your support of me. I'll always try to be real and demonstrate my respect for you all.

"You complete me."
You're the best Diane! Always there to give valuable advice and we can tell you sincerely care about all those who enter this forum. Love you too!!

Here's a few more for you, DIane. March 2008 - June 2021
Sadly, they changed our wedding spot at the Flamingo in Las Vegas over the years but there we are. We decided to stop and take a quick peek on our road trip. We even went back to Margaritaville, where we had our "reception" lol

Sadly, they changed our wedding spot at the Flamingo in Las Vegas over the years but there we are. We decided to stop and take a quick peek on our road trip. We even went back to Margaritaville, where we had our "reception" lol

View attachment 4386View attachment 4385
Aw, beautiful! Thanks for sharing your joy. My heart skipped a beat!

Love the pictures Missy!!! We stayed at the Flamingo my first and only time in Vegas a few years ago! There was a wedding there at the time but in a different location.

Love those pics! Thank you so much for sharing these with us. Awesome!

So, while the weather is still nice, and you can actually avoid close contact with people, you should try to take a walk. Or meet your son in the park for a coffee. You can take some folding chairs or a picnic blanket, so you're still apart .. but together. You seem to be a very outdoorsy type person and should not have to give up those things you love when there are ways to safely enjoy them.

I actually called my son yesterday and asked him (and Art, if s/he is free) to go hike Cougar Mountain, a friendly urban destination in the town of Issaquah. There's also an amazing bakery there, so I'll probably get a great loaf of bread (or something, wink wink...)

I've got to ask Art which pronoun to use while s/he's transitioning. As an honors student in English from 1st grade through college, I refuse to be forced into using a plural pronoun for a single entity. I'm happy to use "he" if it honors him/her.

Does anyone have any advice for me in my situation? I'm so happy Avery found someone he loves so much. Art is such a strong, straightforward person. But I don't feel included in Art's life. We have nothing in common.

Sort of went on a tangent, but it's for real. I'm distracted and feel incompetent.

Back