• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not eating at all

I have a problem that I am not eating! I drink my water but I have no appetite and I am just not eating. I manage to drink a couple protein drinks but that is it. Sitting at the same weight. Does anyone know if there are prepared meals at grocery stores that I can simply heat up? I'm thinking that might make it easier for me to get some protein in me. Did anyone else have this problem? I am thinking it may be part of my depression issues.

To be honest, I was super excited to get to real food so I can't relate. However, I wouldn't worry so much about meals in the traditional sense this early post op. I still tend to eat more snack style, stand alone foods. Turkey slices, shredded chicken, string cheese, cottage cheese, etc. rather than a structured meal. Which may not work for everyone but it is something to try. And then you know you only have a few ounces to "get through" until your appetite comes back.

How's your energy? If you can stand up, you can put one foot in front of the other and then pause and bring the other foot forward and do so as many times as feels good to you. I mentioned earlier that Safeway has and alternative, cheaper, frozen meal that ranges from 200 to 400 calories and lots of protein in each meal. I could eat three or four of these a day and feel full and satisfied. There are so many choices of entree. You can eat Italian or meat and potatoes or Chinese and the variety is just great.

Use a cane or crutch or walking stick if you don't feel steady. But move. Move, move, move. The activity itself will stimulate your appetite and you may feel inclined to eat solid food. You can walk in place, like marching, raising your knees up as high as possible, and do this while you're watching TV or standing in front of the stove or even outside in your yard or on your patio.

If you still find you can't manage solid food, just keep drinking the protein shakes. Make sure you get enough calories to match your body weight and just keep doing it. I think that appetite is a phase. Sometimes it just goes away. Then it comes back. Most physiological studies show that it doesn't matter if it's liquid or solid, as long as it has enough calories to sustain life. There are probably millions of people on earth who are sustained simply on a liquid diet.

Soup is a reasonable alternative, because even though it is liquid, it contains solids and those are separated out in your digestive tract.

But along with calories, you must move your bones and muscles and feed your organs. If you have this problem and it doesn't seem to go away, you have to see your doctor.

I can't guess your age by looking at your photo, but you look young. That works in your favor, as it's easier to stimulate a young metabolism than an old one.

But don't go It Alone. If you are having this problem for longer than a few weeks oh, you should be asking your doctor for advice. There could be some kind of blockage or even lesion that is contributing to your loss of appetite. Or it could be a serious disease. We can't diagnose you here. I can only share with you that this has never happened to me. If it did, I would be freaking out and making an appointment with my doctor as soon as possible.

Please keep us posted and do consult a professional because I do know one thing for sure: this is not normal or healthy.

How's your energy? If you can stand up, you can put one foot in front of the other and then pause and bring the other foot forward and do so as many times as feels good to you. I mentioned earlier that Safeway has and alternative, cheaper, frozen meal that ranges from 200 to 400 calories and lots of protein in each meal. I could eat three or four of these a day and feel full and satisfied. There are so many choices of entree. You can eat Italian or meat and potatoes or Chinese and the variety is just great.

Use a cane or crutch or walking stick if you don't feel steady. But move. Move, move, move. The activity itself will stimulate your appetite and you may feel inclined to eat solid food. You can walk in place, like marching, raising your knees up as high as possible, and do this while you're watching TV or standing in front of the stove or even outside in your yard or on your patio.

If you still find you can't manage solid food, just keep drinking the protein shakes. Make sure you get enough calories to match your body weight and just keep doing it. I think that appetite is a phase. Sometimes it just goes away. Then it comes back. Most physiological studies show that it doesn't matter if it's liquid or solid, as long as it has enough calories to sustain life. There are probably millions of people on earth who are sustained simply on a liquid diet.

Soup is a reasonable alternative, because even though it is liquid, it contains solids and those are separated out in your digestive tract.

But along with calories, you must move your bones and muscles and feed your organs. If you have this problem and it doesn't seem to go away, you have to see your doctor.

I can't guess your age by looking at your photo, but you look young. That works in your favor, as it's easier to stimulate a young metabolism than an old one.

But don't go It Alone. If you are having this problem for longer than a few weeks oh, you should be asking your doctor for advice. There could be some kind of blockage or even lesion that is contributing to your loss of appetite. Or it could be a serious disease. We can't diagnose you here. I can only share with you that this has never happened to me. If it did, I would be freaking out and making an appointment with my doctor as soon as possible.

Please keep us posted and do consult a professional because I do know one thing for sure: this is not normal or healthy.
My energy is fine. I'm cleaning, driving, grocery shopping - just not eating. And I am sleeping more than usual. That is one reason I think it may be related to my bipolar disease. Plus the 1 year death of my close sister is coming up. I am 57. I did have fish and soup today, but that is it. Before I had gastric bypass, I usually only ate dinner and I know that was bad for my metabolism. I am trying to do the sit down exercises from you tube that someone suggested. I was just wondering if there were quick frozen meals I can make. May look at the services like Hello Fresh where I just pop in oven. Thanks!

Shortly after surgery when I was in the soft food stage and/or regular food stage I bought Stouffer's frozen meals. I found them easy to digest. I would divide the dinner in half and have the other half for another meal. I would make sure I was getting meals that had higher protein and stayed away from pasta entrees. I didn't even pick the diet entrees because I wasn't eating much I didn't think it mattered.

You sure look good!

I'm also bipolar, agoraphobic and suffer PTSD from "acute, early-onset, chronic physical, mental and sexual abuse." That's what the shrink wrote in the chart.

I've taken dozens of meds over the years. Now, I just take Welbutrin, but I'm not sure it makes a difference. I take sedatives as needed for panic, and can't fall asleep without OTC or Rx sleeping pills. I've stayed awake for as long as 3 days at a time. I usualy have 3+ nightmares a night, in color and stereo, and I usually remember them.

I had Graves' Disease in 1985 and normal life ended. My eyes looked like Marty Feldman's. One still protudes more than the other. After that I became hypothyroid and take replacement hormone every day.

I ballooned up once my thyroid was irradiated. Life was pretty tragic after that with higher mania and darker depression. I'm not going to tell the number of suicide attempts/gestures I made.

I weighed about 265 when I reported to a surgeon for RYGB. I weigh between 150 and 160 now.

If I only ate once a day, I'd die from nutrient deficiency. Anything i can do to stay healthy, I do. Eating food and drinking water is the most essential need to meet or die.

Since I'm 70 and grew up on a farm, my knowledge of food is vast. My knowledge of nutrition, not so much. I'm learning all the time.

One thing I know: it's not to be trifled with. I'm deeply immersed in staying healthy. I have none of the diseases that killed my mom and dad and 17 pair of aunts and uncles, or my 70 first cousins, or my little brother Tim, or my big sister Kathy, both dead from diabetes and CHF.

So knowing about what I'm eating and relying on this group for support is the reason I'm alive and so healthy at 70. I hope I give back the gifts I receive.

Back