• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not feeling happy about weight loss

Jasmine

Hi everyone I had duodenal switch on 9/1/20 I weighed In at 267 I’m now 240. I’m not sure if this is good or not or I’m just overthinking haven’t been feeling great about it. Hope someone can give me some positive feedback here. Thank you!

Hi everyone I had duodenal switch on 9/1/20 I weighed In at 267 I’m now 240. I’m not sure if this is good or not or I’m just overthinking haven’t been feeling great about it. Hope someone can give me some positive feedback here. Thank you!

Hi Jasmine

Please don’t get discouraged. It takes time and everyone’s weight loss journey is diff. I’m 3 weeks post op from gastric bypass. I’ve had 2 vomiting episodes, and struggle with purée foods and crave sweets, but I’m still determined to persevere and you can to. You just haven’t reached your peak

Hi Jasmine,
Your doing great. My advice is take this slow. Having the support here is great and so many people have been or will have been in your shoes. It’s great to get advice However, try not to compare your weigh loss with others. You don’t know what weight they started at To begin with or Where they are on their WL journey. You will have great days and bad days Hell, I have great great moments and bad moments LOL you will see that everyone’s dr has put them on a different phases. I asked my dr and he said, no two people are alike and I look at what their end goal is and then I decide when they move from each phase. You got this. You can and will do this!

Thanks for your feedback! Hearing this makes me feel hopeful and I do need to stop comparing myself to other journey. I guess I’m so stuck in the scale I’m not looking at the bigger picture. I weigh myself everyday lol which I know Is great. Thank you again!

Jasmine, I feel you. I have had many, many episodes where I have been unhappy with my rate of weight loss. Especially in the beginning. After the first 2 weeks, I went 2 1/2 weeks without losing a single pound. I began to think everyone was doing better than I was and wonder how I had messed up already. They were not and I had not. You have lost 27 lbs in 5 1/2 weeks. That is AMAZING! Could you have done that before surgery? Probably not. The problem with comparing yourself to others, or the "average" is we might all be on the same path, but we are not all the same people. There are many reasons people lose weight at different rates. As long as you are following your program and losing weight, even if you stay the same for a time, you are succeeding. Celebrate your success.

I weigh myself daily as well. I use the Baritastic app
But I don’t really count the Daily gain or loss until each Monday. Plus I have been doing body measurements once a month. It has been great to see the inches go down even if I just had an ok month of weight loss.

You'll get to where you need to go as long as you continue following your plan. Our bodies aren't designed to lose weight. They are designed to protect us from weight loss. It's a genetic hold over from our hunter/gatherer days when food was scarce and you just couldn't go to the grocery store any time you wanted to go.

The surgery does many good things to help the process, but your body will still fight along the way. Continuing to follow your doctor's plan, make really good, nutritious food choices, and working in extra movement and exercise will get you where you want to go.

You probably didn't get to your pre-surgery weight in just a few months. It's going to take more than a few months to get that weight down, but you'll gain years of a much higher quality of life from it.

It will be okay, and you will be okay. Keep going strong!!

Jasmine, I feel you. I have had many, many episodes where I have been unhappy with my rate of weight loss. Especially in the beginning. After the first 2 weeks, I went 2 1/2 weeks without losing a single pound. I began to think everyone was doing better than I was and wonder how I had messed up already. They were not and I had not. You have lost 27 lbs in 5 1/2 weeks. That is AMAZING! Could you have done that before surgery? Probably not. The problem with comparing yourself to others, or the "average" is we might all be on the same path, but we are not all the same people. There are many reasons people lose weight at different rates. As long as you are following your program and losing weight, even if you stay the same for a time, you are succeeding. Celebrate your success.
You’re absolutely right about that! I wouldnt Have even loss 5 pounds lol in all honesty. This group really does make things feel so much better. The responses are very positive and I thank you for that. I will Celebrate every pound and enjoy this process loss or no loss in weight

You'll get to where you need to go as long as you continue following your plan. Our bodies aren't designed to lose weight. They are designed to protect us from weight loss. It's a genetic hold over from our hunter/gatherer days when food was scarce and you just couldn't go to the grocery store any time you wanted to go.

The surgery does many good things to help the process, but your body will still fight along the way. Continuing to follow your doctor's plan, make really good, nutritious food choices, and working in extra movement and exercise will get you where you want to go.

You probably didn't get to your pre-surgery weight in just a few months. It's going to take more than a few months to get that weight down, but you'll gain years of a much higher quality of life from it.

It will be okay, and you will be okay. Keep going strong!!
I really Appreciate your reply! It’s so much appreciated. This journey is def rewarding and can be hard at times, but I enjoy everyone’s positive feedback on here and I’m so glad I joined in. I’ll keep pushing and excited to see this through the end.Thank you!

Wazz,
You seem to always put me back on track. You are a wise man full answers... I must say I have had a couple oF days that I would think of things that you have said and it really has turned it around for me.
thank you.
I'm very glad I've been helpful for you. We can't do this alone. It's a hard road and we have many things stacked up against our success with just "life" stuff. We are much more powerful together, even if it is only virtual. Keep up the good work. There will come a time, I'm sure, when I struggle too and I know I'll get great support from my friends here. Cheers!

Jazmine You are doing Great 27 pounds in 5 weeks is awesome. My weight loss has been pretty slow, I had my surgery July 28th and have lost only 46 pounds including the preop diet. But I try not to stress about it and not weight myself too often. I feel that as long as I’m following the surgery food plan, take my protein n water I will be ok. Remember that we are more than just a number on a scale!!

Jazmine You are doing Great 27 pounds in 5 weeks is awesome. My weight loss has been pretty slow, I had my surgery July 28th and have lost only 46 pounds including the preop diet. But I try not to stress about it and not weight myself too often. I feel that as long as I’m following the surgery food plan, take my protein n water I will be ok. Remember that we are more than just a number on a scale!!
Thank you!! Everyone tells me I’m hard on myself and just take it day by day. That’s what I’m trying to do and not focus so much on a number but enjoy the process. Congrats on your weight loss and keep pushing also ♥️

Back