• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not losing pounds, baffled.....???

Hi friends!! I'm 4 weeks post op, the day of surgery I weighed 216 I weigh 200 now
The scale hasn't moved in around 2 weeks!!! I'm baffled
My doc says to b patient but I'm scale obsessed
N to see it not moving is very discouraging:-( any words
Of advice..oh I had a gastric sleeve...I'm wondering if
I should hv done the bypass....anyhow is this normal
I started this journey in late September weighing 229....am
I expecting results too fast???

You just had surgery, and remember it is not a race. It has been 4 weeks and you lost 16 pounds which equals 4 pounds per week. That is really great. Naturally and safely, the experts say safely 1-2 per week is good, so you are ahead of the game. Each person is different and all the otehr stuff added into it makes each journey unique. Can't compare your results to other... it's not fair to you. Just do what your WLS staff tells you for food, vitamins, exercise and relax too. You will get there.

Hi friends!! I'm 4 weeks post op, the day of surgery I weighed 216 I weigh 200 now
The scale hasn't moved in around 2 weeks!!! I'm baffled
My doc says to b patient but I'm scale obsessed
N to see it not moving is very discouraging:-( any words
Of advice..oh I had a gastric sleeve...I'm wondering if
I should hv done the bypass....anyhow is this normal
I started this journey in late September weighing 229....am
I expecting results too fast???

I had the bypass but I came home weighing way more than I had weighed before the operation. My weight gain was because of the IVs that I had, it put water weight on me. It came off in time for my 3 wk check up which showed I lost 20 lbs. Maybe you have some water weight also. Hope you do well!

My surgeon and his nurse explained to our class that they will make sure you go home well hydrated via IV's to help prevent the chance of post surgical dehydration due to the difficulty of getting enough oral fluids due to post surgical pouch swelling and irritation. The swelling and irritation is what makes it so hard to get the fluids down in the very beginning so they would rather be safe than sorry as would I...
LOL, think about being water logged for health, :)

You are doing fine. Yes, the scale will pause at times and even go up. The overall journey will be downward as long as you are following the guidelines. If you are you will find that the most calories you do consume is between 800 to 1000 calories. Make sure you are getting your protein quota met each day 60mg for a woman if I remember correctly. For me, it is 80mg a day. Always go protein first. By now you have been on pureed foods and have an option to move to solid foods phase I. Be sure you are not consuming too much. Remember a full meal (at least for me Gastric Bypass) is 1/2 cup of food. I can tell you I cannot consume more than that 1/2 cup. Losing 4 -6 pounds per week is excellent. Right now, I am post op by 19 days and I have lost 33 pounds since September 30, 2013. I did start following a more restricted diet emphasizing protein using my shakes prior to my 2 week pre-op liquid. so lets see. 33 pounds in 8 weeks 2 days. That is coming out to be about 4 pounds per week. Since surgery on 11/4/2013 I also gained 3 pounds going into surgery again they really did hydrate me. So counting that I have lost 21 pounds in 19 days or about 7.7 pounds per week. This is somewhat overstated since the first 4 pounds that came off post op was the extra hydration. So lets say 219 pounds in 19 days or 7 pounds a week.

I had plateaus in my weight drop that lasted a couple of days. Again, as long as you are staying within the guidelines and not over eating you will see your weight continue to drop.

Another thing keep in mind I am a male and yes we tend to drop weight quicker. On the other hand we tend to gain quicker.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Ralph

I had the sleeve also, and the losing is very slow. I'll go 2 weeks without a drop in the scale (thankfully no increase), then start losing again. I'm averaging about 2 pounds a week, which is faster than any diet I've ever been on. Be patient. It will happen

Im the same. I had surgery in June and this sat will be 2 mo. Ive lost about 17 lbs and the scale hasn't moved in 2 weeks. I am not hungry so I don't eat much therefore I don't have the energy to exercise. I cant stand the vitamins so I don't take them. All this work for the 2nd surgery and Im not losing any wt. Im seriously very unhappy.

Ginger you have to take your vitamins it is a very important part to lose the weight.
Im the same. I had surgery in June and this sat will be 2 mo. Ive lost about 17 lbs and the scale hasn't moved in 2 weeks. I am not hungry so I don't eat much therefore I don't have the energy to exercise. I cant stand the vitamins so I don't take them. All this work for the 2nd surgery and Im not losing any wt. Im seriously very unhappy.

I had the Gastric Sleeve 10-20-14. I lost 18.5 lbs the first 3 1/2 weeks. In about the last 1 1/2 weeks I have not lost anything. A couple of days I weighed 1 lb more, and the next day was back down that lb. It does get a little discouraging. The only protein shake my doctor wants me on is the Whey protein. I have tried several of them, and in the beginning I found one I really liked. Now I am so sick of it, it is all I can do to get it down. I can barely get 1/4 cup of food down before I start to feel pain. Then, 2 hours later I am hungry again. It is difficult, when I work all day, to stop and eat every 2 hours. Last week was my first week back, and I found myself only stopping once to eat. I know I should be walking more than I do. It is difficult to walk for too long, as one day my stomach pouch will be fine, and the next day it will hurt. I struggle sitting for long periods of time (like I do at work). It causes my pouch to be sore.

I had the Gastric Sleeve 10-20-14. I lost 18.5 lbs the first 3 1/2 weeks. In about the last 1 1/2 weeks I have not lost anything. A couple of days I weighed 1 lb more, and the next day was back down that lb. It does get a little discouraging. The only protein shake my doctor wants me on is the Whey protein. I have tried several of them, and in the beginning I found one I really liked. Now I am so sick of it, it is all I can do to get it down. I can barely get 1/4 cup of food down before I start to feel pain. Then, 2 hours later I am hungry again. It is difficult, when I work all day, to stop and eat every 2 hours. Last week was my first week back, and I found myself only stopping once to eat. I know I should be walking more than I do. It is difficult to walk for too long, as one day my stomach pouch will be fine, and the next day it will hurt. I struggle sitting for long periods of time (like I do at work). It causes my pouch to be sore.

You spent an entire lifetime gaining all the excess weight. It will take time for you to get rid of the excess weight; anywhere from 9 months up to 2 years before you lose all the weight you want to lose.

For me I had my procedure on 11/4/2013 and I reached my goal weight of under 200 on July 12, 2014. I had ups and downs and flats, but I followed the program. I weigh myself everyday but I don't get crazy about it either.

I now keep myself between 196 to 200. If I go over 200 I then restrict my diet. Right now with maintenance I can consume 1500 to 1800 calories. If I need to cut back (my weight is creeping up to 200) then I reduce my intake to the 1200 to 1500 calorie level.

It works.

I also posted my weight chart in my gallery for people to see that it isn't a smooth line down. It is rather choppy, but the trend was down until I reached my goal.

Here is where you can take a look at my weight chart: >>>> http://www.americanbariatrics.org/album.php?albumid=9791&attachmentid=840

Take a look.

Sit back and enjoy the journey.

As to shakes I don't understand your Doctor limiting you to just one.

I use Isopure grape drink even today to assure I get my 80 grams of protein each day.

I also use Premier shakes both Vanilla and Chocolate. Yes, you should be able to do this.

Now, I see you are in your first month so maybe that is why the Doctor is restricting you to just the whey. However, after that first month when you start soft foods, etc., etc., you should be able to enjoy differenct varieties of shakes.

Keep up the good work.

Ralph

Several things here,

1) your weight can vary by a pound or 2 everyday...

2) What are you eating?

3) How much are you eating everyday?

4) Are you monitoring your protein and carb intake everyday?

5) How much exercise are you getting everyday and what type of exercise?

Most importantly: How often are you weighing yourself? If you are weighing yourself daily, every other day or more than every 7 to 10 day then you need to stop and put your scale out of sight now.

Do NOT weigh yourself more than once every 7 to 10 days...
The more frequently you weigh yourself the more obsessed and frustrated your going to become thus setting yourself up to not move forward.. Do not set yourself up to fail.

WLS is not a magic cure all weight loss fix.. It is a tool that you need to learn to work with, how it works best for you and what works best for you... Take it easy and learn to walk your journey.

Just because the scale is not moving or may be moving to slowly for your liking does not mean you have stopped dropping inches. Pay attention to how your clothing and undergarments fit....

Stop, Relax, and take a deep breath....

Back