• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not psychologically cleared

When my brother was in the hospital and doctors weren't listening to my concerns (his only relative able to stay by his side after he was arlifted to Seattle from his home 150 miles east), I went to the ombudsman and eventually was able to get a team of medical personnel to look at his treatment. They were not really concerned with his health but worried about malpractice.

I was so obnoxious and persistent, they changed everything and he got much, much better, though he died a few months later. I saw the problems doctors couldn't see because I KNEW him.

Don't take no for an answer. If you've been told by any doctor that you need to lose weight or risk comorbidities and death, you qualify. If an MD says yes but a PsychMD says no, you need a disinterested third party to break the logjam.

See if there's an ombudsman at the hospital who will be an objective ear regarding your case. There's no upside to a hospital denying surgery when a patient's health is at risk. But they may really need to defer to the main surgeon. It's weird to me that you've been in some kind of pre-op program for a year. A decision like this is generally made rather quickly and if you don't qualify, they tell you soon. You need fresh eyes on this.

When my brother was in the hospital and doctors weren't listening to my concerns (his only relative able to stay by his side after he was arlifted to Seattle from his home 150 miles east), I went to the ombudsman and eventually was able to get a team of medical personnel to look at his treatment. They were not really concerned with his health but worried about malpractice.

I was so obnoxious and persistent, they changed everything and he got much, much better, though he died a few months later. I saw the problems doctors couldn't see because I KNEW him.

Don't take no for an answer. If you've been told by any doctor that you need to lose weight or risk comorbidities and death, you qualify. If an MD says yes but a PsychMD says no, you need a disinterested third party to break the logjam.

See if there's an ombudsman at the hospital who will be an objective ear regarding your case. There's no upside to a hospital denying surgery when a patient's health is at risk. But they may really need to defer to the main surgeon. It's weird to me that you've been in some kind of pre-op program for a year. A decision like this is generally made rather quickly and if you don't qualify, they tell you soon. You need fresh eyes on this.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

Good. I'm scheduled for surgery on October 2nd. How are things going for you?
I would say pretty good. I am enjoying my smaller body. I fit into a booth yesterday! I started my insurance's program over a year ago at 291. I was at 259 the day of surgery and now at 225. Everyday is new and I expect stalls here and there. Nothing to worry about. My nutritionists all say stay the course, no matter what the scale shows. Don't panic or freak out, they tell me. So I don't! Ha, ha, ha. Best decision I ever made.

I just found out that after being in a program for a year, they didn't clear me for surgery. My med manager doesn't support ANYONE getting the surgery. Supposedly they'll review it when the main surgeon comes back from paternity leave in a couple of weeks. I'm devastated and don't know what to do next.
I'm just starting my journey and my first psych appt is Friday. Why didn't they approve your meds? I'm on antidepressants and am concerned

I'm just starting my journey and my first psych appt is Friday. Why didn't they approve your meds? I'm on antidepressants and am concerned

At the heart of this question is What was the reason you were denied in the first place? There are many reasons you might not be approved, like you had already shown unwillingness to adhere to the food requirements or you had already failed once after having surgery. But if you're about 100 pounds overweight and you have any number of comorbidities like diabetes, heart disease, intestinal disorders, etc., there has to be a really good reason why you'd be denied. What reason did they give you?

It would have to be a doozy, since bariatric surgery is a real money maker for doctors and insurance companies. Seems more likely a person who didn't have any comorbidities would be denied. Otherwise, you're wandering into lawsuit territory.

My med manager said that because I have some depression and anxiety that she felt that I wasn't psychologically stable enough, but she has a bias against anyone having the surgery (she told My counselor and me that.) My counselor, who I see on a weekly basis, disagreed with the med manager and talked to the program social worker directly. After that, I met with that social worker, and she cleared me. I have lost 25 pounds in the program so far, so it wasn't anything to do with noncompliance. I'm scheduled for surgery on October 2nd.

My med manager said that because I have some depression and anxiety that she felt that I wasn't psychologically stable enough, but she has a bias against anyone having the surgery (she told My counselor and me that.) My counselor, who I see on a weekly basis, disagreed with the med manager and talked to the program social worker directly. After that, I met with that social worker, and she cleared me. I have lost 25 pounds in the program so far, so it wasn't anything to do with noncompliance. I'm scheduled for surgery on October 2nd.
I am so glad you're scheduled! We have enough to deal with without having to do battle with our practitioners.

Back