• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not sure what to do.

I have been approved for Gastric Sleeve surgery. Not sure if I want to have surgery.
The only reason I am considering it is because of my Diabetes. I cannot loose a serious amount of weight because of the amount of insulin I have to take (180 units of short acting down from 300 a year ago) and I can not get off the insulin unless I lose a lot of weight.
My issues with having surgery are:
-It is such a major surgery it scares me.
-I weigh 227 and don't want to lose 100 pounds.
-Not sure how to control my emotional eating.

Why I am considering surgery:
-To get off insulin & other meds.
-To feel better & have more energy.
-I am embarrassed by the way I look.

I really need help in making this decision but, can't seem to get any. One thing I think might help is to here from someone with some of the same issues as me and struggled with their choice.

Thanks

I turned the surgery down the first time it was suggested to me and promptly gained more weight. Thinkin i dont eat a lot so i don't need it. You might not need it if you can stick to a strict diet. Follow the program and progress to see how you do. Its not binding that you have to have it but it has long term positive attributes. Also you can set your goal to where you would like it to be. Doctors have ideas but you know you. You dont have to lose 100 if losing 75 would be enough. Try to reach your desired goal before surgery and see if you can hold it off. Or think about how much easier it would be to gain it back if you didnt have the surgery. I know i dont sound like much help but i am hoping that it gets your thoughts rolling down the right lane so to speak. I got the sleeve and it eliminated diabetes for me. Now my sugar has to be kept up above 49 and recently that has been the case. I wish you the best and support what ever decision you make.

I have been approved for Gastric Sleeve surgery. Not sure if I want to have surgery.
The only reason I am considering it is because of my Diabetes. I cannot loose a serious amount of weight because of the amount of insulin I have to take (180 units of short acting down from 300 a year ago) and I can not get off the insulin unless I lose a lot of weight.

I really need help in making this decision but, can't seem to get any. One thing I think might help is to here from someone with some of the same issues as me and struggled with their choice.

Thanks
I was told the sleeve doesn't get rid of the diabetes the rny gastric bypass does. I've been off insulin and meds sense the day of my surgery one year ago. I'm only ten more pound to lose to goal

Thanks

- The surgery is major, your right, however it is now such a specialty and been improved so much in just the last 5 years, that not only the surgeons but staff, nurses and all are so much better at the care and recovery of patients that you should feel some relief that they are going to make sure that your surgery is a success. They want you to be successful so that you can tell people about it and they will look into it themselves.
- You don't have to lose 100 lbs. So many that have the surgery struggle to reach a goal weight and actually lose that much weight while others don't. It's all about your water and protein intake and when you get to where you want to be, you 'maintain' your intake and thus your weight becomes manageable and consistent, a foreign concept to overeaters and those who have never lost significant amounts of weight.
- Your emotional eating is something you will either need to figure out on your own, by turning to another coping method, or something you need to seek professional help on BEFORE surgery. Once you've had surgery, emotional eating can cause health problems and pain.
- You can lose enough weight with the surgery to get off insulin and other meds. It is possible with the sleeve, just harder, but you can do it if you work on it. It is much easier with bypass but again, you would need to decide which type of surgery to have. Both require a lifestyle change, but if you really want to turn things around for the better and get a firm handle on your health, you will make the changes and move forward.
- When you lose the excess weight, you will feel better and have more energy, provided you stick to the proper eating and consumption of protein and water daily. It is something you have to work at, you can't just assume weight loss itself will fix all your issues. You need to fuel your body to feel good, you can't just hope it will happen and you can't eat your way through a bag of chips assuming it will make you happy. Get a hold on your emotional eating and if you have the surgery, work the new tool you are given so that you can be successful, feel better and get the energy your after.
- Self esteem doesn't come in a magic slim pill or with weight loss surgery. Many 'skinny' girls also hate the way they look. They are embarrassed by their bones sticking out or not having the curves so many heavier women are trying to get rid of. Self esteem comes from within and it takes work to gain self confidence in yourself and your appearance. You are you no matter how you look, and those around either like you for who you are or aren't worth being in your life. Figure out how to love yourself despite your looks, and as you start to feel better, get more energy, regain a healthier life you will forget about being embarrassed about how you look and hopefully you can wear your new surgery 'scars' as a banner of strength, courage and pride in your new self and successful journey that is ahead of you.

Back