• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nothing sounds good...

Anne23

Hi all!

I have been lucky with a very smooth post-op experience. But I find myself in a funny place right now, 4 months out, suddenly nothing sounds very appetizing. Both food and beverages. Most off-putting to me is meat, eggs, and seafood. So I have been replacing those things with beans and tofu to keep my protein up (but it not really enough). And I’m hoping this phase passes before I tire of them too. Fattening and sugary things are also obviously a no go. And while I was advanced to grains they don’t sit well with me. Has this happened to anyone else? I can do some fruits, some non-starchy veg, the above mentioned tofu and beans, and I also still like iced coffee (I make with fairlife milk for the protein, and decaf espresso). Water has never sat with me post op and so I also sip sugar free vitamin water.

I’ve had times of crazy intense hunger where everything sounds good and times when I want nothing and nothing sounds good. I just try to push through both of those time the best I can. I hope it won’t last long for you. Maybe this is a time to try something outside your comfort zone or reimagine an old favorite recipe?

I never had that problem but I will say in my early months I relied a lot on premade frozen food because I was recuperating from major surgery besides the VSG and it took me quite a while before I could get myself to cook regular food to any extent.

For dinners I actually had Stouffer's frozen entrees (the regular ones, not the diet ones) and only ate half an entree at a time. My go-to's were meatloaf, Salisbury Steak, stuffed pepper, roast chicken and turkey. I would divide the meal in half after I cooked it and save the other half for either lunch the next day or dinner. I know it isn't as healthy as cooking yourself but since it is processed meat it seemed to settle better in my stomach. I wonder if this would help. Maybe try just one and see how it goes?

I really struggle with dinners, I don’t know why. I force myself to cook 2 or 3 times a week, but I just end up picking at the food. I’m better with snacks in the evening. Over 2 years out.
I’m this way with lunch and always have been. But then I would over eat at dinner. Now I force myself to have something even if it’s just yogurt with granola. It’s not a lot but enough to get me through the afternoon.

I have gone through phases where nothing is good and phases where everything is good. I still occasionally have a heard time with beef in general. It's just so dense. I love beans, and if you're picking up protein in milk and water, you should be able to get where you need to be. Have you tried ground turkey or chicken? They have a softer texture so they're just sit better for me. Try some new recipes. Hopefully you can find something you love.

I really struggle with dinners, I don’t know why. I force myself to cook 2 or 3 times a week, but I just end up picking at the food. I’m better with snacks in the evening. Over 2 years out.
I agree. And I think it's that dinner has more than one thing. As in meat AND whatever. Dinner food just seems too dense and too filling. It's so much easier to grab a yogurt with berries, an ounce of nuts or a scrambled egg. I cook everyday and I love my cooking but I usually have to eat dinner in 2 parts. A few bites now and a few more bites in an hour or so.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Using this opportunity to introduce new foods is a good idea. I made a sweet potato this weekend and that sat well. I think I’ll try to do this every few days - trial and error to see what works. Thanks friends!

Back