• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

November 8th

Glad to hear how close you are now to WLS. Will you be on a liquid diet for a period of time prior to surgery? I only was required to do the liquid for the weekend before my Monday gastric bypass, thankfully. Good luck!
Not sure yet. Surgery in 2 weeks but my pre-op Dietitian mtg is this Thursday. They did give me booklet last month with a section that briefly describes the pre-op diet as 3 protien shakes and a small 4oz protein/veggie dinner. I was basically already doing that the last few days. So we will see. But, I would love your pre-op diet!

Had my last pre-op appointment with my surgeon yesterday. A very informative long discussion of the procedure and expected outcomes with no sugar coating. Then finally got to meet the "Gatekeeper" Nurse who finallized and cleared me for surgery on Tuesday, November 8th.

Even though at the beginning of this surgery process, I was thinking that it was going to take too long (in my case 3 months), now I find it has gone by so quickly that I'm stunned that I am actually going under the robotic knife this time next week!

Anticipating an interesting journey from that day on.
Thank you to this forum that has helped greatly through this process so far.

A November to Remember!

Had my last pre-op appointment with my surgeon yesterday. A very informative long discussion of the procedure and expected outcomes with no sugar coating. Then finally got to meet the "Gatekeeper" Nurse who finallized and cleared me for surgery on Tuesday, November 8th.

Even though at the beginning of this surgery process, I was thinking that it was going to take too long (in my case 3 months), now I find it has gone by so quickly that I'm stunned that I am actually going under the robotic knife this time next week!

Anticipating an interesting journey from that day on.
Thank you to this forum that has helped greatly through this process so far.

A November to Remember!
Good luck & hoping you have a speedy pain-free recovery ❤❤

Tomorrow is a Full Moon, Election Day, Hurricane coming, and my surgery!

And...away we go!

Last edited:
Done, spent one night in hospital, now back home on post day 2
No pain yet, just my stomach feels like I just did a hard core ab exercise routine.
Pre-surgery they gave me TAB blockers so that probaly help a lot.
Now just taking Tyleno.
No problem with anything, so far have had protein shakes, water, broth, suger free cranberry juice, caffine free coffee, and jello.
No signs that I am drinking too much or too fast. I am going for about 4-6 oz of protein sipped over 30 minutes with a daily goal of 80-100 gram of protein.
Targeting 60 oz of fluids per day.

Glad to be on this side of surgery. Now the real progress begins!

Done, spent one night in hospital, now back home on post day 2
No pain yet, just my stomach feels like I just did a hard core ab exercise routine.
Pre-surgery they gave me TAB blockers so that probaly help a lot.
Now just taking Tyleno.
No problem with anything, so far have had protein shakes, water, broth, suger free cranberry juice, caffine free coffee, and jello.
No signs that I am drinking too much or too fast. I am going for about 4-6 oz of protein sipped over 30 minutes with a daily goal of 80-100 gram of protein.
Targeting 60 oz of fluids per day.

Glad to be on this side of surgery. Now the real progress begins!
you can have decaf coffee? I thought that was a no no for a while.

My surgery is coming up on 11/30 at 730 a.m. I had my pre-op appointment and my anesthesiologist appointment on 11/10. I got my soap and pre/post-op meds. He said my last meal is 11/27, clear liquids and prep 11/28, and clear liquids 11/29. I was a little surprised and confused as others have a week or more. I have one bariatric class left on 11/16.

I asked my doctor about the bariatric belt and cough pillow. He said stop reading the Internet. He said I don't need those and there will be a tube after my surgery to help get the gas out. I'm wondering if I should still get the belt for home. Anybody have the belt? Was it helpful or worthless?

Maria

Last edited:
I asked my doctor about the bariatric belt and cough pillow. He said stop reading the Internet.

This might be my all-time favorite piece of advice ever!!!!

FYI, when I had surgery 14 years ago, there were no gadgets and no support. It was a few years before I stumbled onto this group, which had been dead for years.

So I never had to deal with the people who are trying to exploit people like us nowadays. You are so lucky to have a doctor who won't bullshit you. Your focus should be on following your doctor's advice.

My RYGB was an open procedure--major surgery-- that required a few days in the hospital, followed by a few weeks recovering at home. I'm really happy it worked that way because I lost 35 pounds in the first month, 25 the second, and 15 pounds a month for several months after.

I've never put any weight back on except during Covid-19, when I was isolating indoors, when I gained 20 pounds I'm still hauling around.

I never used any gadgets or looked for shortcuts. I had to adapt to my return to healthy eating and nothing would have helped except mental focus and commitment. Looking for a way out puts you in jeopardy for regain.

Be patient with yourself and follow doctor's orders. You'll build discipline and self esteem. It's time for me to take my own advice, too.

Back