• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NSAIDS

pamelau66

Hello Everyone, I am new to the Chat☺️ I was wondering if anyone was told they would not be able to continue with their headache medicine after surgery because it was an NSAID? Unfortunately, I received this news after surgery. My neurologist has me on pregabalin, but it has not been working as well as my previous NSAID medication (Indomethacin). Thank you!

Welcome! I hope you can find something else. Matia is right that it can increase bleeding but also it’s an ulcer risk. I’m surprised someone didn’t tell you before surgery.
Thank you! I had several discussions about my medication, and my headache medicine was/is the only medication that I take, but no one ever told me that I would not be able to continue taking Indomethacin.

Thank you! I had several discussions about my medication, and my headache medicine was/is the only medication that I take, but no one ever told me that I would not be able to continue taking Indomethacin.
How frustrating! I used to take topiramate for migraines, but it messed with my memory and daily functioning, so I stopped it after about 6 months. I have a friend who has used it for years and has no side effects at all.

How frustrating! I used to take topiramate for migraines, but it messed with my memory and daily functioning, so I stopped it after about 6 months. I have a friend who has used it for years and has no side effects at all.
Sorry to hear that! I too was once on that med for headaches. I hate taking meds that can cause memory loss! I hope that my Neurologist can find a med that will work well and not have frightening side effects

Sorry to hear that! I too was once on that med for headaches. I hate taking meds that can cause memory loss! I hope that my Neurologist can find a med that will work well and not have frightening side effects
I agree! I realized that I needed to stop taking it when I forgot that I was standing on a step stool and walked off the top. I fell on my hip in my garage. Painful and unpleasant to say the least! Hope you can find something soon.

Hello Everyone, I am new to the Chat☺ I was wondering if anyone was told they would not be able to continue with their headache medicine after surgery because it was an NSAID? Unfortunately, I received this news after surgery. My neurologist has me on pregabalin, but it has not been working as well as my previous NSAID medication (Indomethacin). Thank you!

Hi Pamelau, welcome to our group. Which surgery did you have? If it was bypass, you definitely can't take NSAIDs. If you had gastric sleeve then you might want to check with your surgeon. Some will let you take them on rare occasions providing you take them with lots of water and some food. If you have chronic headaches and need NSAIDs frequently (as it sounds like that might be the case), then I would not suggest taking them as I wouldn't want to risk it.

Sorry that you found this out after your surgery and not before. I use to get horrible migraines when I was younger but thankfully not anymore, so I get it. Have you ever tried peppermint oil rubbed on your temples?

Hi JudyNY,
Thank you for the welcome☺️
My surgeon was emphatic as he spoke to me about not taking NSAIDS going forward, so, I don’t see him changing his position. The team of professionals that I met with on my way to the Sleeve surgery were great, I just wish someone had thought to communicate to me about NSAIDS. However, I realize that many medical professionals were/are handling a lot during the Pandemic. I’m hopeful that with all of the medical advances, my Neurologist will find a suitable medication for me, I just thought I would inquire and see if anyone else may have experienced the same thing with a good outcome. Thank you for your post and have a great day!

Hi JudyNY,
Thank you for the welcome☺
My surgeon was emphatic as he spoke to me about not taking NSAIDS going forward, so, I don’t see him changing his position. The team of professionals that I met with on my way to the Sleeve surgery were great, I just wish someone had thought to communicate to me about NSAIDS. However, I realize that many medical professionals were/are handling a lot during the Pandemic. I’m hopeful that with all of the medical advances, my Neurologist will find a suitable medication for me, I just thought I would inquire and see if anyone else may have experienced the same thing with a good outcome. Thank you for your post and have a great day!
Oh I sure hope there is something else you can take too! And I wasn't sure if it was your surgeon that said no NSAIDs or another doc. Personally, I am a little to weary of putting anything in my smaller stomach if I don't have to!

I took toperimate for my head aches(not sure what it is considered). I stopped taking it on my own as it wasn't helping much and my migraines have dropped significantly with weight loss and stress management. I was told inhad to stop a few meds a couple weeks prior and until I was back to drinking full amounts consistently- which for me was a couple months post.

I was specifically told by my medical team that NSAIDS post sleeve were fine, so I guess there's that. Perhaps there are issues with the type of NSAID. When I went back and looked at my pre-surgery packet, it specifically said NSAIDS for sleeve post surgery were fine after the stomach was healed. I haven't taken any of them, but I had a bit of a back thing for a bit and had reached out to get NSAID alternatives because I thought I wasn't supposed to and they said go for it.

Just like so many other things, there are many inconsistencies with the recommendations we see to get from the various clinics out there. It's always hard to know the truth.

I hope you find something that gives you relief when you need it!

Back