• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NSV - What are yours???

TraceyT

I don't really post a lot of threads - but I recently had a NSV - Non Scale Victory - that made a more significant impact on me than looking at the number on the scale. I know - weird right??? What could possibly be more of a victory than seeing that number on the scale keep going down?

Well at my heaviest I weighed 250 pounds - I was also pregnant. I've truly been all over the spectrum of the "SCALE" for years. I've been thin, thick, thicker & pregnant, and just plane ole hefty! My husband and I have been together a lot of years. I was a size 12 or so when I met my husband. Just to be fair - he wore 30x32 jeans when we met. For the first 9 years of our marriage - we had 2 girls. My closet literally had clothes from size 12 to 24 - tops - bottoms - maternity - dresses - coats - it was all there. Flash forward a few years and we now have 5 girls. I'm at my absolute heaviest - when I wasn't pregnant 220 and at 5'4" I was round.

As the weather is starting to change I knew I was going to need jeans. I've bought a few clothing items since surgery - the not knowing when the weight loss will stop - I tried to buy things that I could still wear as I lost more weight. I went and actually bought jeans this weekend. Most of the clothing stores in our area are not allowing people in the dressing rooms. You have to buy it and hope it fits - if not you have to return/exchange it. Well I bought a size 12 jeans. I got home and just hung them in the closet - figured I'd wear them out the next day or so. I put the 12's on - they were TOO BIG. I returned them for a 10 - they were also TOO BIG! I ended up with an 8! I have NEVER worn any pants or other bottom apparel in a SINGLE DIGIT!!! I screamed and my husband came running with his gun in hand - he said I sounded like I was in pain. No sweetheart - just freaking SHOCK! It's amazing that something so innocuous or mundane could have such an impact.

I know I've lost a bit of weight. But I'm not sure that it had actually sunk in until I pulled those size 8 jeans up and they buttoned and zipped - without having to lay on the bed, hold my breath, and in really severe cases call in reinforcements. This was an awesome thing. It may sound weird - stupid - or whatnot to others but it allowed me to know that I'm doing the best I can for me!

The top jeans are size 24, the middle jeans are size 12, the bottom jeans are size 8!!

I am refusing to buy clothes right now. I am 3 weeks post and am down 12 pounds but a total of 26 total (including liquid diet phase). I work from home so I live in sweat pants as people can't see that. I did have to buy a few pairs of sweatpants as my old ones were to big. I went into work today and had to put on jeans....within 10 mins I look like saggy man butt in my jeans as they are to big. I plan to ride out the sweatpants as long as I can so I spend less on clothes.

I did buy a couple sweatshirts over the weekend and ended up buying mediums when normally I wear an 1x.

I don't really post a lot of threads - but I recently had a NSV - Non Scale Victory - that made a more significant impact on me than looking at the number on the scale. I know - weird right??? What could possibly be more of a victory than seeing that number on the scale keep going down?

Well at my heaviest I weighed 250 pounds - I was also pregnant. I've truly been all over the spectrum of the "SCALE" for years. I've been thin, thick, thicker & pregnant, and just plane ole hefty! My husband and I have been together a lot of years. I was a size 12 or so when I met my husband. Just to be fair - he wore 30x32 jeans when we met. For the first 9 years of our marriage - we had 2 girls. My closet literally had clothes from size 12 to 24 - tops - bottoms - maternity - dresses - coats - it was all there. Flash forward a few years and we now have 5 girls. I'm at my absolute heaviest - when I wasn't pregnant 220 and at 5'4" I was round.

As the weather is starting to change I knew I was going to need jeans. I've bought a few clothing items since surgery - the not knowing when the weight loss will stop - I tried to buy things that I could still wear as I lost more weight. I went and actually bought jeans this weekend. Most of the clothing stores in our area are not allowing people in the dressing rooms. You have to buy it and hope it fits - if not you have to return/exchange it. Well I bought a size 12 jeans. I got home and just hung them in the closet - figured I'd wear them out the next day or so. I put the 12's on - they were TOO BIG. I returned them for a 10 - they were also TOO BIG! I ended up with an 8! I have NEVER worn any pants or other bottom apparel in a SINGLE DIGIT!!! I screamed and my husband came running with his gun in hand - he said I sounded like I was in pain. No sweetheart - just freaking SHOCK! It's amazing that something so innocuous or mundane could have such an impact.

I know I've lost a bit of weight. But I'm not sure that it had actually sunk in until I pulled those size 8 jeans up and they buttoned and zipped - without having to lay on the bed, hold my breath, and in really severe cases call in reinforcements. This was an awesome thing. It may sound weird - stupid - or whatnot to others but it allowed me to know that I'm doing the best I can for me!

The top jeans are size 24, the middle jeans are size 12, the bottom jeans are size 8!!

View attachment 3166
That's so awesome Tracey!!! :)

I actually have a NSV to report today. I had my 18 month follow up this morning and the nurse I see at the center was almost more excited about my loss than I am. :) I hadn't been there in person since my 9 month appointment in December, due to COVID. She told me that she doesn't say this to many patients but that she has complete confidence in my long-term success. All my bloodwork looks great and my BMI is at 21! I figured I was around there but you all know how scales differ. Unless I need to see them sooner, I'll only have annual appointments moving forward.

To anyone out there pre-op with doubts, the journey will be a challenge but the results are truly life changing! I've said it many times, WLS was the best decision I've ever made.

I actually have a NSV to report today. I had my 18 month follow up this morning and the nurse I see at the center was almost more excited about my loss than I am. :) I hadn't been there in person since my 9 month appointment in December, due to COVID. She told me that she doesn't say this to many patients but that she has complete confidence in my long-term success. All my bloodwork looks great and my BMI is at 21! I figured I was around there but you all know how scales differ. Unless I need to see them sooner, I'll only have annual appointments moving forward.

To anyone out there pre-op with doubts, the journey will be a challenge but the results are truly life changing! I've said it many times, WLS was the best decision I've ever made.
THAT IS AMAZING! Sorry I’m shouting but I’m just really excited for you :D

I am having a non scale Victory right now. I am at the spa today. I go once a year for the last five years and I always have to get a XXX robe or a man's robe today I was able to fit a regular robe no special request today. My friends didn't have to wait while the search for a robe for me.

View attachment 3166

I am truly enjoying reading this success story!! I look forward to sharing the same with you in the future!!
Congratulations

Back