• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

oh my God, you're hot!

Supposed to be 116 tomorrow, according to news right now. Record high of 102 in town right now. Now the power grid is starting to break up.

I took a long nap under a wet sheet. Now I'm spraying and fanning.

My feet are swelling. Edema about to pop them like ballons. Why does that happen? I laid down and elevated them while under the wet sheet.

I managed to choke down a protein drink. I'm going to freeze one for later.

Cant believe tomorrow is supposed to be worse.

So it's almost 7pm here in Seattle and it's still 101° F. I am accustomed to hot climates because even though I'm a native Seattleite, I did spend 30 years living in central Washington, where temperatures routinely hit the low 100s from about the 4th of July until Labor Day.

I also lived in Los Angeles for three years and until that happened I never even knew what humidity was! Wow! I used to take my top sheet and get it wet in the bathtub at night and then wring out the excess water and run back in my bedroom and just let it float down on top of me, icy cold covering my naked body.

We're having a 5-day long heatwave here but I just have tools I use, since I don't have air conditioning. Only 50% of the homes in Seattle have air conditioning because we so rarely need it.

Here's how I stay cool: I stand under the shower for a few seconds until all my clothes are wet. Then I towel off and go sit down in the path of my fan, which is blowing across the room. I actually almost start freezing sometimes.

Anyone else here who doesn't have air conditioning and are in a heat wave in your neighborhood? What do you do to stay cool or at least comfortable?
[/QUOTE]
Hi Diane! I am very new here and just been looking mostly for information and saw wow a Seattle person! I am originally from Eastern Washington, Yakima.where used to the heat but not this heat, I agree! I graduated from University of Puget Sound and University of Washington ( Physical Therapist) lived 20+ years Seattle/ Tacoma, moved back home here after retired..my brother still there in heat in Kirkland. The heat over on Westside has much more humidity ( due to around the sound and water) so more unbearable its also been hot 106 yesterday but lots of AC. Stay comfortable freezing skin wipes/ thin washcloths can be a relief. I came to this site in search of information support of possible surgery. I was just diagnosed with endometrial cancer and of course doing a good job beating self up about my weight as big cause of this type cancer,looking into weight loss surgery post cancer surgery and better to get insurance coverage and less hoops to jump for approval..maybe? Have to admit been reading too much lately since cancer diagnosis.. Have you had bariatric surgery need to check out more forums. Nothing here in Eastern Washington so sure coming to Seattle and also already set next week for oncologist. Stay cool will be interested in learning and sharing more.

Hey fellow PNW people! Everyone make it through yesterday okay?

My household was lucky. It looked like most of Northeast Portland had no power outages. However, there were signs of grid breakdown in other parts of the area. Diane seem to be reporting the same in Washington. I’ll be crossing my fingers for you Diane! Hopefully we will both make it through today with power.

Personally, I’m having a terrible pain flare up in my tendons. I have a long history of a lot of tendonitis that seems to rove around my body at random. This time it started with my Achilles’ tendon and has seemed to moved into my knees and hip joints. Current medical theory is systemic inflammation that may or may not improve once I lose weight. Ugh. And hot days always make it worse. Not being able to take nsaids, I’m at a complete loss as to what to do. Acetaminophen does nothing. I ice what I can, stretch often, and my partners massage the tendons if able. Has anyone else experienced this? If you have tendonitis or inflammation in general, how do you treat it without nsaids?

Well, here we go on another horrible climate change adventure! As long as have power I’ll to be researching costs on upgrading my home’s heat resistants and maybe even the cost of central air installation. (I cringe just thinking of what this will cost us.) If the power does go out in my area I won’t have access to internet at all since the near by cell tower had a massive critical failure two weeks ago that they are still working on. So no data on the phones and a lot of dropped calls.

Keep cool friends!

[/QUOTE]
Hi Diane! I am very new here and just been looking mostly for information and saw wow a Seattle person! I am originally from Eastern Washington, Yakima.where used to the heat but not this heat, I agree! I graduated from University of Puget Sound and University of Washington ( Physical Therapist) lived 20+ years Seattle/ Tacoma, moved back home here after retired..my brother still there in heat in Kirkland. The heat over on Westside has much more humidity ( due to around the sound and water) so more unbearable its also been hot 106 yesterday but lots of AC. Stay comfortable freezing skin wipes/ thin washcloths can be a relief. I came to this site in search of information support of possible surgery. I was just diagnosed with endometrial cancer and of course doing a good job beating self up about my weight as big cause of this type cancer,looking into weight loss surgery post cancer surgery and better to get insurance coverage and less hoops to jump for approval..maybe? Have to admit been reading too much lately since cancer diagnosis.. Have you had bariatric surgery need to check out more forums. Nothing here in Eastern Washington so sure coming to Seattle and also already set next week for oncologist. Stay cool will be interested in learning and sharing more.
[/QUOTE]

Hi CynCapri, welcome to the group! So sorry about your cancer diagnosis. Sending prayers your way for a complete recovery.

Hey fellow PNW people! Everyone make it through yesterday okay?

My household was lucky. It looked like most of Northeast Portland had no power outages. However, there were signs of grid breakdown in other parts of the area. Diane seem to be reporting the same in Washington. I’ll be crossing my fingers for you Diane! Hopefully we will both make it through today with power.

Personally, I’m having a terrible pain flare up in my tendons. I have a long history of a lot of tendonitis that seems to rove around my body at random. This time it started with my Achilles’ tendon and has seemed to moved into my knees and hip joints. Current medical theory is systemic inflammation that may or may not improve once I lose weight. Ugh. And hot days always make it worse. Not being able to take nsaids, I’m at a complete loss as to what to do. Acetaminophen does nothing. I ice what I can, stretch often, and my partners massage the tendons if able. Has anyone else experienced this? If you have tendonitis or inflammation in general, how do you treat it without nsaids?

Well, here we go on another horrible climate change adventure! As long as have power I’ll to be researching costs on upgrading my home’s heat resistants and maybe even the cost of central air installation. (I cringe just thinking of what this will cost us.) If the power does go out in my area I won’t have access to internet at all since the near by cell tower had a massive critical failure two weeks ago that they are still working on. So no data on the phones and a lot of dropped calls.

Keep cool friends!

Hey Jordan, so glad you didn't lose power! BTW, I love you new picture!

I can image the heat makes your inflammation worse. I do think you will notice a difference after losing weight, maybe not pain free but better. I would say a good 85% of my pain is gone. I get flare ups now and then but it is certainly manageable.

Stay cool!!!

It's supposed to be a bit hotter today 114+ but this evening they are expecting a 30-40 degree cool down with cool winds coming in and back into the 60s overnight. We've put shade clothes over parts of our garden and I've been up before sunrise to water the vegetables. It looks like most of them will be okay. We had to pick a few peppers a bit early though because they were literally roasting on the plant.

We've also been putting ice in our birdbaths and keeping the hummingbird mister going to try to help the creatures. A lot of the animals have sort of migrated down toward the creek. It is actually amazing how much cooler it is around the water areas.

We have finally cooled back down to the upper 80's and are finally getting some rain. The lawns are so burnt you step on them and they crunch. About a week ago we spent around 2 weeks around the high 90's-low 100. That is hot for MN.

Back