• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

older then most

I am over 60 does anyone know if it will be any harder to recover. My surgery is Nov 6, 2013. I have diabetes 2 really bad, seemed like only answer. getting very nervouse though, hope i am doing the right thing.

Im 64 years old and have no complaints about my recovery. Everyone I ran into who had the surgery said I would be so happy and I definitely am. I can't speak about the diabetes but I was scared at first. My surgeon explained everything to me about the surgery and all the improvements that have been made over the years and I had no fear at all. I had my gastric bypass August 16, 2013 and have not had one moment that I wished I didnt have it done. Talk with your surgeon and he can reassure you. I'll keep you in my prayers. God Bless

I am over 60 does anyone know if it will be any harder to recover. My surgery is Nov 6, 2013. I have diabetes 2 really bad, seemed like only answer. getting very nervouse though, hope i am doing the right thing.
Hi, I'm 66 and having my surgery the same day as you. I have type 2 diabetes also. I have cleared all the tests and labs and the dr says I am definitely healthy enough for this surgery. I really looking forward to being much healthier in the near future. We will have to keep in touch. 5 more days. Wishing you a quick recovery. Prayers for you and your surgery team.

Im 64 years old and have no complaints about my recovery. Everyone I ran into who had the surgery said I would be so happy and I definitely am. I can't speak about the diabetes but I was scared at first. My surgeon explained everything to me about the surgery and all the improvements that have been made over the years and I had no fear at all. I had my gastric bypass August 16, 2013 and have not had one moment that I wished I didnt have it done. Talk with your surgeon and he can reassure you. I'll keep you in my prayers. God Bless
Thanks for you comments that you made in reply to bluecruiser post. Glad to hear you are doing well with no regrets. How are you doing on you weight loss. Please keep in touch.

Thanks so much for the reply, I guess what I am feeling is natural. Good luck to you, my prayers are with you. We should deffinitely keep in touch. Started all this stuff 6 months ago, blood work, stress echo cardiagram, more blood work and another ekg at the pre surgery workup. Two visits to the pysch. Had to get an ok from my pulmonologist, I have asthma and COPD. All Docs have approved everything, so I will be much happier, i guess, the day I come home from the hospital. My niece(45) had the same thing about 4-5 years ago, she had lost around 140 pds. but she has put about 50 back on. She still says she would do it all over again. Her diabetes has come back a little, not near as bad as it was.

WELCOME to this site Bluecruiser!!!
I am also older, 64 yrs old to be exact. I had pneumonia and a pulmonary embolism a couple yrs ago and they diagnosed me as having COPD in the hospital although Ive never smoked, but the pneumonia did a job on my lungs. I have sleep apnea and also sleep with oxygen at night. I was very nervous about this operation but I had a wonderful surgeon who took super care of me and I came through it marvelously. I have never regretted having this operation and have felt so much better as I am losing my weight! Good luck to you, :)

I will be 70 this coming January 2013. I had my surgery 11/4/2013. It was laproscopic using the Devinci Robot. What dramatic improvements they have made to make this surgery minimally evasive and reduced risk. I am doing fine. No fears as I went into surgery. I did it so I had a chance of seeing my 80th birthday!

Just make sure you have picked an excellent surgeon and you are entering a bariatric center of excellence hospital. That would be my only comment.

My surgeon is one of the nationally ranked surgeons in this field.

Best of luck to you.

Ralph

I'm with you. I want to see 75-80 and beyond in good health. I want to be able to travel with my weight being a issue. My surgery went well. Two weeks later I am feeling great. Good luck in your weight loss endeavor.
Andrea

Working on getting it right!

I'm with you. I want to see 75-80 and beyond in good health. I want to be able to travel with my weight being a issue. My surgery went well. Two weeks later I am feeling great. Good luck in your weight loss endeavor.
Andrea

Best wishes back to you.

It isn't going to be luck either and I know you understand what I am saying.

This is the final decision point in my life to get it right or else. I know it.

I will celebrate my 70th on January 7, 2014. I intend to do my best to celebrate my 80th on January 7, 2024.

The only way that will happen is if I get myself back to goal weight, lead a healthier life, exercise and enjoy a more stress free existence.

I am working on all fronts now.

Ralph

Back