• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One day post op

lsales4363

I had my surgery yesterday morning. Everything went well. The Dr did discover a hernia while in there and fixed that. I woke up in recovery around 1:30 or 2:00 but didn't get to a room until 7:00 pm pain is manageable. The hernia repair is more tender than the other. I've been doing laps around the floor. Really just want to sleep bit they make that nearly impossible. I have a private room but I'm right outside the nurses station. Saw the doctor this morning. He will stop by again after he finishes today's surgeries and will most likely release me.

I had my surgery yesterday morning. Everything went well. The Dr did discover a hernia while in there and fixed that. I woke up in recovery around 1:30 or 2:00 but didn't get to a room until 7:00 pm pain is manageable. The hernia repair is more tender than the other. I've been doing laps around the floor. Really just want to sleep bit they make that nearly impossible. I have a private room but I'm right outside the nurses station. Saw the doctor this morning. He will stop by again after he finishes today's surgeries and will most likely release me.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So glad all is well. :)

Yeah!!!! You did it!

Congratulations! I'm 3 weeks post op and feel great--you will be surprised how quickly the time goes after these first couple of days. My only advice is to not try to stretch out your pain meds. The hernia repair will hurt longer than the little incisions and you won't be able to move around enough if you hurt so much. Take the drugs!!!@!!! Drink!!!! You are on your way!

Welcome home Isales4363, Glad to hear all went well and that your up and moving about.
The walking will help immensely with the hernia repair pain.
Watch those pain meds so you don't get constipated, nauseous or wobbly.
(((((HUGS)))))

Slept in my own bed last night. That was great. A few hours of sleep at a time. I woke up around my normal morning time. I kept breakfast down. I've been drinking water, but that does hurt a little. I even managed to poop this morning And yes, the hernia repair is much more tender than any of the other incision spots. I can take a shower today - looking forward to that. Having some trouble with burping.

Hi Isales! How are you doing? Are you healing up ok? You're about 3 wks post op now? Hope all is well!

Hi Isales! How are you doing? Are you healing up ok? You're about 3 wks post op now? Hope all is well!

I went back to work just this past Monday. A little tired (hard to give up those cat naps). Everything going great. Now on week four diet wise. Only problem I've had is constipation, but the Dr gave me a stool softener for that. I am hoping with more variety to the diet, that will no longer be a problem. I am following the plan I've been given faithfully. Although I will say, even though I gave up soda in September, that first day back to work, I really wanted one (not sure if it was the carbonation or caffeine I was craving, but it passed.)

Hi Isales, congrats on being back at work. The fatigue will go away, remember you are still recovering from major surgery. It took me almost 8 weeks before I felt ok after a day of work. Glad to hear you resisted the temptation of soda and caffeine, those get less and less strong as you move down the road from surgery. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Frank

:cool:

Yes, I had a major hernia too.

Yes you have joined the burping club! We all do it; not to mention the gas club!

The important thing here is to have a few bites/sips and then stop. Allow time for the burps to get out before continuing. Otherwise, you end up trapping a gas bubble and that gets ugly/painful.

The burping does get better as you progress. Bowel movements are always and issue with low carb or no carb. So take a stool softener daily. It helps tremendously. Also, consider Miralax or equivalent.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Congratulations!

Were you out of work so long because you just physically couldn't go back?

I work in an office and I am hoping to be able to go back within a week. I just hope it works out that way.

Congratulations!

I work in an office and I am hoping to be able to go back within a week. I just hope it works out that way.
I also work in an office and coming back to work on that fourth week was tough. It worked out for me in the fact that it feel on the week of New Year's and I worked for two days, had a day off and worked for two days. I wouldn't recommend trying to go back sooner. I had lifting restrictions for a full month. It reminds me of the advice my doctor gave me when I had my hysterectomy - You will look better than you feel and your co-workers will push you beyond your limits. Stay home and let yourself recover. Not to mention the time off was a good time to get familiar with your new food plan - easier than at work while you are learning what you can and can't tolerate.

I went back to work just this past Monday. A little tired (hard to give up those cat naps). Everything going great. Now on week four diet wise. Only problem I've had is constipation, but the Dr gave me a stool softener for that. I am hoping with more variety to the diet, that will no longer be a problem. I am following the plan I've been given faithfully. Although I will say, even though I gave up soda in September, that first day back to work, I really wanted one (not sure if it was the carbonation or caffeine I was craving, but it passed.)
I drank Coke (full strength or some equivalent) every day of my life. I recently tried a few sips. The carbonation didn't go well, and guess what, it didn't taste good!

Congratulations!

I went back to work 2 weeks after sleeving. If you can possibly stretch your leave out a little, you should.

Back