• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One Month - Scale and Non-Scale Victories

WazzuCoug

Today is my one-month surgiversary. I previously mentioned some of my non-scale victories, such as medication reductions, lower pressures on my CPAP, and generally just feeling better. Another non-scale victory is my skin. I have sebaceous hyperplasia, which are bumps on my face formed by over-active oil glands. They have pretty much disappeared and my skin is practically smooth again. It's amazing. I also used to have a lot of skin irritation, which has also gone. Although the bumps weren't that noticeable unless you were looking very closely, I was self-conscious about them. Now they are gone. I suspect the lower fats and oils I'm consuming has a lot to do with that, and I also believe my liver is functioning better and filtering things a lot better.

I had my first follow up with my dietician, physical therapist and surgeon. Everything is on track and going well. I am down 34 lbs since surgery and 42 lbs overall since starting the pre-op diet. I generally walk 2-4 miles a day, and now that the weight lifting restriction has been lifted, I will start adding in some resistance exercises to help maintain muscle mass, but nothing too extreme for now.

I have been lucky so far. I know some of you are struggling right now, and that is difficult to go through. Keep the faith. Bet on yourself and keep tightly to your plan. Track your food, protein, calories and water. Walk, walk, walk. If you feel hungry, turn to water first before you eat something. Sometimes thirst and the need for water is disguised as hunger. Drink fluids for a while and then wait. If you are still hungry after 30 minutes, have something to eat. Let that sit and learn the difference between enough food to be satisfied and too much food to feel stuffed. Everything related to food should be done slowly. It's really hard for me. I have been a really fast eater my entire life, and that does not work well to feel satiated.

Today is my one-month surgiversary. I previously mentioned some of my non-scale victories, such as medication reductions, lower pressures on my CPAP, and generally just feeling better. Another non-scale victory is my skin. I have sebaceous hyperplasia, which are bumps on my face formed by over-active oil glands. They have pretty much disappeared and my skin is practically smooth again. It's amazing. I also used to have a lot of skin irritation, which has also gone. Although the bumps weren't that noticeable unless you were looking very closely, I was self-conscious about them. Now they are gone. I suspect the lower fats and oils I'm consuming has a lot to do with that, and I also believe my liver is functioning better and filtering things a lot better.

I had my first follow up with my dietician, physical therapist and surgeon. Everything is on track and going well. I am down 34 lbs since surgery and 42 lbs overall since starting the pre-op diet. I generally walk 2-4 miles a day, and now that the weight lifting restriction has been lifted, I will start adding in some resistance exercises to help maintain muscle mass, but nothing too extreme for now.

I have been lucky so far. I know some of you are struggling right now, and that is difficult to go through. Keep the faith. Bet on yourself and keep tightly to your plan. Track your food, protein, calories and water. Walk, walk, walk. If you feel hungry, turn to water first before you eat something. Sometimes thirst and the need for water is disguised as hunger. Drink fluids for a while and then wait. If you are still hungry after 30 minutes, have something to eat. Let that sit and learn the difference between enough food to be satisfied and too much food to feel stuffed. Everything related to food should be done slowly. It's really hard for me. I have been a really fast eater my entire life, and that does not work well to feel satiated.
good job! it's in amazing what we just accept (i.e. skin problems) not even really understanding that it's from diet. I think because there's not an immediate response to a change, we attribute our maladies to something else. Glad you are finding more to celebrate than just your (significant) weight loss! :)

Back