• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One Night Stay?

I was wondering how many of you stayed in the hospital for just ONE night? I have never had surgery before, so it seems kinda soon to go home the very next day. Did you feel okay when you were discharged? I guess I just need some reassurance that it’s not a crazy thing.

P.S. I know that I can stay longer if there are complications or excessive pain.

With laparoscopy, it's often day surgery. Hospitals don't want to keep people overnight, so they always schedule early and do several people on one day, telling you to make sure you have someone to drive you home and even stay with you.

I stayed a few days with my hysterectomy and my RYGB. They had to make long incisions and drain fluids and watch for infection, etc.

With laparoscopy the worst thing may be the gas they pump in to enlarge the abdominal cavity. It stabs at muscle and tissue to get out. It's a good idea to talk to the staff about it.

I had the sleeve and was told to expect two days. They wanted to keep me for a third because I was very nauseous but I advocated to go home and they let me. The only time I was really in pain was if I threw up (which happened twice) but the nurses were great and always got me pain meds right away. This was my first surgery and don't think I would have been able to go home that day or the next. Talk to your doctor about how you are feeling after it happens. They will base the stay off of that.

I had gastric bypass laparoscopically and with robotic surgery midmorning on a Monday. I was up & walking by late afternoon. I didn't get a room until early the next morning and made myself walk several times in the hallway and around the nursing station. I went home early Tuesday evening. I think the 3 day nerve block was a big help in my quicker recovery and my need for pain meds for three days only. Hope yours goes as well. ❤❤

I had VSG and they said one overnight minimum. They keep you because they need to do a barium swallow test the next day to make sure everything is working properly, or at least that is how my bariatric center does it. If everything is fine, then they discharge you.

I only stayed one night and felt very ready to go home the next day (I discharged less than 24 hours after). My surgical team just started doing day surgeries (ie: go home the same day!) on select patients about a month ago- and that sounded totally crazy to me until I woke up and was feeling pretty good. I took no narcotic pain medication in the hospital, and after I got home took one Tylenol #3 before bed for three nights and then stopped. No nausea. My very worst complaint was I felt kind of restless and had very dry mouth and dry eyes from all of the anti nausea medication they pumped me me full of for about 24 hours after leaving the hospital. As you can tell, everyone's personal experience with pain and nausea, and also the protocols for each surgery center are very different. If your surgeon is listening to you (which it sounds like they are)- then you are good to go! If you have troubles, you stay until things are better, but a lot of people have smooth sailing.

I stayed one night. I stayed awake most of the night to drink and walk around the hospital floor to prove I was ready to leave. I don’t do well staying in a hospital, I heal better at home and without being bothered by blood pressure checks and such. My surgeon asked if I wanted to stay, but had no problem letting me leave. His 4 requirements were drinking, walking, pain controlled, and going to the bathroom with no issues. Bonus points for burping, farting, and pooping LOL

I've had 12 surgeries to date. With my WLS I stayed the 2 night minimum. I've had 4 lower back surgeries and all were done as out patient.

I've had 4 c-sections - my first I was in the hospital a week - some blood sugar issues - and when they started cutting me I could feel it. YES I could feel everything. The doctor said all I could feel was the "pressure" from where he was cutting - I kicked the doctor in the face - his reply "I felt that" I replied "No what you felt was the pressure of my foot connecting with your chin."

My second c-section was done in a teaching hospital - I was ready to leave when my doctor came in with a "12" year old student. He asked if I was ok letting the student finish my discharge paperwork - no problem, then my doctor was called away for another patient. He told the student doctor to discharge me and give me my after care instructions. Dr. Dickboy decided he wanted to check out my staples - keep in mind I'd given birth less than 24 hours earlier - with out warning dickboy started removing my staples. I'm explaining to him that'll it'll be 7-10 days BEFORE they can take my staples out - NOT my first c-section. Dickboy actually said "ma'am I'm the doctor I know what I'm doing". I was protesting - my husband went to get my doctor - no luck. Dickboy decided to "examine" my incision - he proceeded to pull up on my stomach which opened my incision completely to where you could see my uterus. That meant I had to have my incision packed until it healed. A nurse was called in - to give me shot of pain medication. She looked at me and proceeded to tell me "Aw it's not that bad" My husband proceeded to call the nurse all sorts of lovely names - some I'd never heard him say - he continued on the nurse and he said Look - you can SEE her uterus. By this time my doctor has made it back. He's literally looking around in complete and utter shock. He also told the nurse NOT to tell any patient what did and didn't hurt or how bad it did or didn't hurt. My doctor looked at his student dickboy wanna be doctor and said welcome to the world of medical malpractice.

My last 2 c-sections were a breeze. In the end all of my babies were forcefully evicted and denied re-entry to reclaim or take any of their "stuff".

Just follow whatever aftercare plan your surgeon has set up for you. This isn't your surgeons first WLS - trust your surgical team.

when they started cutting me I could feel it. YES I could feel everything. The doctor said all I could feel was the "pressure" from where he was cutting - I kicked the doctor in the face - his reply "I felt that" I replied "No what you felt was the pressure of my foot connecting with your chin."
My eldest son was an emergency c section and when my doctor started poking the line he was planning on making the incision I told him I could feel it all. He looked at the anesthesiologist and said, knock her out. All I remember are the ceiling tiles dancing after that and suddenly there was a chunky baby being shown to me LOL I sorry for the hell you went through the first 2 times.

I've had 12 surgeries to date. With my WLS I stayed the 2 night minimum. I've had 4 lower back surgeries and all were done as out patient.

I've had 4 c-sections - my first I was in the hospital a week - some blood sugar issues - and when they started cutting me I could feel it. YES I could feel everything. The doctor said all I could feel was the "pressure" from where he was cutting - I kicked the doctor in the face - his reply "I felt that" I replied "No what you felt was the pressure of my foot connecting with your chin."

My second c-section was done in a teaching hospital - I was ready to leave when my doctor came in with a "12" year old student. He asked if I was ok letting the student finish my discharge paperwork - no problem, then my doctor was called away for another patient. He told the student doctor to discharge me and give me my after care instructions. Dr. Dickboy decided he wanted to check out my staples - keep in mind I'd given birth less than 24 hours earlier - with out warning dickboy started removing my staples. I'm explaining to him that'll it'll be 7-10 days BEFORE they can take my staples out - NOT my first c-section. Dickboy actually said "ma'am I'm the doctor I know what I'm doing". I was protesting - my husband went to get my doctor - no luck. Dickboy decided to "examine" my incision - he proceeded to pull up on my stomach which opened my incision completely to where you could see my uterus. That meant I had to have my incision packed until it healed. A nurse was called in - to give me shot of pain medication. She looked at me and proceeded to tell me "Aw it's not that bad" My husband proceeded to call the nurse all sorts of lovely names - some I'd never heard him say - he continued on the nurse and he said Look - you can SEE her uterus. By this time my doctor has made it back. He's literally looking around in complete and utter shock. He also told the nurse NOT to tell any patient what did and didn't hurt or how bad it did or didn't hurt. My doctor looked at his student dickboy wanna be doctor and said welcome to the world of medical malpractice.

My last 2 c-sections were a breeze. In the end all of my babies were forcefully evicted and denied re-entry to reclaim or take any of their "stuff".

Just follow whatever aftercare plan your surgeon has set up for you. This isn't your surgeons first WLS - trust your surgical team.

OMG Tracey!!!! I was with my daughter when she was having a c-section and she sure felt it. I could tell not only because of her screams but her nails were digging in my hand so hard while she was holding my hand. I didn't realize they don't normally knock you out during a c-section! And WTF with the student doctor? YIKES!!!!!!!

OMG Tracey!!!! I was with my daughter when she was having a c-section and she sure felt it. I could tell not only because of her screams but her nails were digging in my hand so hard while she was holding my hand. I didn't realize they don't normally knock you out during a c-section! And WTF with the student doctor? YIKES!!!!!!!
They didn’t have epi in the right location. The doctor kept telling me it not pain I felt it was pressure. If the epidural was doing what it was suppose to do - I wouldn’t have been able to move my leg. It was a very rough c-section. As for the student doctor- I was his first “solo” patient discharge and I think he was trying hard to make me feel as if didn’t know what was going on. My husband took a photo of my c-section - you could actually see my uterus.

Back