• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One Week Post Op and I'm feeling the sludge.

fbwash

Mind you before I had my surgery last Monday. I had reached a peak walking distance of 5.91, a few years ago I was doing the 8-10 mile distance but because of weight gain and lack of overall good nutrition I fell down a really big hole... And the Gastric Sleeve is the ladder to help me get out of it. The hardest thing right now for me, is coming from a competitive mindset and those muscle memories locked under the layers of fat for a few years and just when they're starting to get up to steam. BLAM!!!
I feel like a sloth trudging through knee high mud.
My muse/girlfriend had the gastric sleeve procedure done back in March and her support is the extra fuel to the flame. I'm so glad we're both going through this journey and it's really strengthening our relationship.
I suppose it's a battle of my mind and not try and push my self too hard, too soon.
We went on a walk yesterday and completed 2.33 miles, a simple breeze two weeks ago but it definitely affected me last night.
So today, I have to catch up on some artwork for clients and I need to just relax on insane movements.
Be okay, with letting my body do what it needs to do to heal.
I would like to add that I was released from the hospital at 6pm Tuesday and was walking around with no issues.
I'm just curious if there are others who share a similar mindset or story.
You just want to take off running but have to settle for a shuffle for now :D

I was told to use the first month or so after surgery to let your body heal. You have plenty of time to get back in shape walking miles after your body has healed up and recovered. I was told to take it very slow at first and walking around the block was a goal to shoot for.. lol.. and you are walking miles already! I know I had the bypass and you had the Sleeve but you don't want to rupture stitches and bleed internally. Please be careful not to overdue too soon!

Good luck!

Cheyenne

I was told to use the first month or so after surgery to let your body heal. You have plenty of time to get back in shape walking miles after your body has healed up and recovered. I was told to take it very slow at first and walking around the block was a goal to shoot for.. lol.. and you are walking miles already! I know I had the bypass and you had the Sleeve but you don't want to rupture stitches and bleed internally. Please be careful not to overdue too soon!

Good luck!

Cheyenne[/QUOTE.

Well I have a little different story as my gastric bypass was Tuesday last week on 4th of Oct. And drain area sore still and very tired but have got out and walked around my street but no more then that! It's definitely a hard road with eating as well can't wait to have something with substance!

Mind you before I had my surgery last Monday. I had reached a peak walking distance of 5.91, a few years ago I was doing the 8-10 mile distance but because of weight gain and lack of overall good nutrition I fell down a really big hole... And the Gastric Sleeve is the ladder to help me get out of it. The hardest thing right now for me, is coming from a competitive mindset and those muscle memories locked under the layers of fat for a few years and just when they're starting to get up to steam. BLAM!!!
I feel like a sloth trudging through knee high mud.
My muse/girlfriend had the gastric sleeve procedure done back in March and her support is the extra fuel to the flame. I'm so glad we're both going through this journey and it's really strengthening our relationship.
I suppose it's a battle of my mind and not try and push my self too hard, too soon.
We went on a walk yesterday and completed 2.33 miles, a simple breeze two weeks ago but it definitely affected me last night.
So today, I have to catch up on some artwork for clients and I need to just relax on insane movements.
Be okay, with letting my body do what it needs to do to heal.
I would like to add that I was released from the hospital at 6pm Tuesday and was walking around with no issues.
I'm just curious if there are others who share a similar mindset or story.
You just want to take off running but have to settle for a shuffle for now :D
Awesome job on the 2.33 miles. I've been dragging along with a max distance achieved of 1/2 mile. Tomorrow is surgery day and I'm anxious to get back to walking and see how quickly I can get beyond that point. That's great that you and your girlfriend are doing this together. What an incredible person to have as your support person since she knows what you are going through. Good luck in logging on those miles.

Hi I had the sliev procedure 10 days ago,,I'm feeling quit good..haven't had any problems beside a little discomfort while trying to sleep on my sides. I know my endurance level is way down so that's an opsticle I need to accept...keeping hydrated is my -1st priority ..my support group is my husband and 25 year old son..there going along with me fairly well..I find my friend are better support . One of them had the same procedure 1 year ago. I feel satisfied with the broth..shakes etc. Not like im starving...that's the best part...can someone share with me there weight losses by week or so I'd like to know what to expect.thanks

Hi I had the sliev procedure 10 days ago,,I'm feeling quit good..haven't had any problems beside a little discomfort while trying to sleep on my sides. I know my endurance level is way down so that's an opsticle I need to accept...keeping hydrated is my -1st priority ..my support group is my husband and 25 year old son..there going along with me fairly well..I find my friend are better support . One of them had the same procedure 1 year ago. I feel satisfied with the broth..shakes etc. Not like im starving...that's the best part...can someone share with me there weight losses by week or so I'd like to know what to expect.thanks
Still waiting for my surgery. Hiccup stopped it, so can't share any post op stuff. Just wanted to say that I'm glad your procedure went well.

Hello,

I can't offer what I'll lose as I only the sleeve last Thursday. Today is day 8. My doctor said I could be out hiking, doing treadmill, or eliptical. (He hasn't seen how winded an eliptical can get me). I am choosing to walk, I also have a simulated stepper and exercise bike. I'm doing a walk combined with time on those each day so far. (when I watch my dvr'd Dr. Oz). I don't do more than 5 minutes at a time on the stepper. It takes a lot. 15 minutes in a day is what I'm up to.

I've also just read my third book on post bariatric surgery. Common theme is beginning t be active and getting that as part of our new lives.

I'll be interested to see what people say too.

Thanks,
Kathy

Hello,

I can't offer what I'll lose as I only the sleeve last Thursday. Today is day 8. My doctor said I could be out hiking, doing treadmill, or eliptical. (He hasn't seen how winded an eliptical can get me). I am choosing to walk, I also have a simulated stepper and exercise bike. I'm doing a walk combined with time on those each day so far. (when I watch my dvr'd Dr. Oz). I don't do more than 5 minutes at a time on the stepper. It takes a lot. 15 minutes in a day is what I'm up to.

I've also just read my third book on post bariatric surgery. Common theme is beginning t be active and getting that as part of our new lives.

Thanks,
Kathy
Good job on being so active. You are an ideal patient.

Thank you. I am blessed, and also take the risk of blood clots and things that can go wrong very seriously. Nothing like fear as a little help with motivation :)

Thank you. I am blessed, and also take the risk of blood clots and things that can go wrong very seriously. Nothing like fear as a little help with motivation :)
My dr just told me that my goal was to walk about 1000 steps a day until my 2 week appointment. He hasn't cleared me to do anything else. I have a long stairway in my house that I go up and down at least 3-4 times a day and I walk between 300 and 600 yards a day in addition to my regular household activities. I've been home 11 days and I've lost 15 pounds. I'm wondering if I should have lost more or if I'm doing ok. I'm not sure. I tire easily, but my stamina is increasing so I feel good about that.

Hi Nanette,

Sounds like you're right on track. 15 pounds is a great start. congratulations! I can't wait to be 15 lbs post surgery. I think listening to our doctors is important. We may all have different reasons of why they give us set exercise clearance.

Kathy

That is true. I will be alone for 5 days after my surgery, so I think I will be doing some walking to avoid those blood clots also.

Co
My dr just told me that my goal was to walk about 1000 steps a day until my 2 week appointment. He hasn't cleared me to do anything else. I have a long stairway in my house that I go up and down at least 3-4 times a day and I walk between 300 and 600 yards a day in addition to my regular household activities. I've been home 11 days and I've lost 15 pounds. I'm wondering if I should have lost more or if I'm doing ok. I'm not sure. I tire easily, but my stamina is increasing so I feel good about that.
ngrats on your weight loss!! 15 lbs in 11 days sounds pretty good. More than 1 lb per day. Keep it up!!!

How much are we supposed to lose on average? I had surgery 12/5. I feel like I am stuckmnotbsure if I am doing it right. I have had 3 ounces of chicken salad about every 2_3 hours. I am drinking in between I walk and am waiting to be cleared for the gym??

How much are we supposed to lose on average? I had surgery 12/5. I feel like I am stuckmnotbsure if I am doing it right. I have had 3 ounces of chicken salad about every 2_3 hours. I am drinking in between I walk and am waiting to be cleared for the gym??
My surgery was 12/6. I've lost 16.6 lbs. to me this seems low, but I haven't started walking yet as I've had some falls due to dizziness. Hope to start the middle of this week.

Hello,

Thanks,
Kathy

I had my surgery 12/29/16 RX Gastric Bypass. Stayed in the hospital 1 night. I was released 12/30 around 5 PM. My husband and I decided to stay at the hotel next to the hospital instead of fight the 5 o'clock traffic. Around 10:00 I felt very nauseous and threw up blood. Called the on call doctor and he said to not worry. About 2 hours later I started passing blood by the buckets. Went to ER and they readmitted me to the hospital. Ugh! After a bag of iron, 2 units of blood, etc. I was released on the 1st! I am hurting on the left side and it feels like contractions. Has anyone else had any of this experience?

Sorry Kittylynn. That was a terrible experience. I am thankful I did not have anything at all like that happen. I hope they have you stable now and feeling better.

Melissa,
I got home after my surgery on Nov 10th and began eating three small meals a day 3 to 4 oz of protein, and two snacks, like half a bariatric shake, and a bariatric hot chocolate. I am loving the hot chocolate. I've been losing weight at a good pace and am down about 50 pounds from the start of my liquid diet. I've been exercising pretty much every day. Skipped Christmas Day. I feel great. I'm taking my chewable vitamins and my calcicum citrate as I'm supposed to as well.

Back