• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Out of the hospital and recovering well

TraceyT

I ended up having emergency surgery to repair all 9 hernias and remove my gallbladder. They found several more hernias once they were in there. I had one hernia that had 2 smaller hernias. Never knew hernias could give birth the smaller hernias.

The good news is that I've not thrown up since having the surgery. I'm still under-weight - I'm weighing in at 120 - which is a slight improvement over where I was prior to surgery. At 120 - I've lost 100 pounds since 1/22/2020.

The additional weight loss and not being able to keep food down has cause my hair to fall out like crazy. I'm able to keep my vitamins, protein, and other soft foods down.

The doctors are frustrated because gaining weight is proving difficult at best right now. They don't want me exercising, they want me to eat high calorie foods, and add heavy cream to my protein shakes. I'm not a milk person - never have been - but I'm adding small amounts to my shakes. After this recent surgery my Bariatric surgical team wanted me to start with the liquid phase of the diet and progress like I did when I first had the gastric bypass done.

It has taken several weeks to gain 4 pounds. Slow but steady - and learning all over again. Hopefully all of these lovely side effects will stop and get better.

The first photo is me at my heaviest and a head-full of blonde hair!

The second photo is me now with thin purple hair! I gotta be me - and me is purple at heart!

Attachments

• me2.jpg
    me2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 49
  • me.jpg
    me.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 48
I’m so glad the hernias are repaired and the gallbladder is gone! I’m sure you’ll slowly gain once you’re more healed. Just like after WLS, take your time, get your protein and fluids, and the rest will fall into place. Love your purple hair!

It's good to hear from you and that you are doing well. I would imagine that it will be difficult to gain weight while on a liquid diet. Check for smoothie recipes. I had a friend who gave his mother high calorie smoothies when she had cancer and needed some extra calories as well as lots of nutrients. Also, I am SO JEALOUS of the purple hair!! It looks great! I keep trying to get pink but it never quite comes out like I want it to. I guess I have to stop trying to do it myself.

Back