• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Overcomming fear

Reading through your post and the others responses has added a new dimension to my journey. In 1989 I spent time in psych ward for three weeks. There I learned not to judge and in after care I learned to focus on the positive. I have been doing that for so long now that positive wins out the majority of the time. My weight gain started when I quit smoking in 93. Sweets were my go to to make myself feel better. If something positive happed they were a reward, if negative stuff happened it was my pick me up.
The word diet implies temporary solution giving you permission once you reach your goal, then you can return to your bad eating habits, unfortunately when you get older the body fights back regardless of how many pounds you lose , the pounds come back meaner and more stubborn to diets and doesn’t let you lose weight, durn hormones.

So this tool, bariatric surgery is a tool, time to rethink and make the commitment to long term conditions. It is like wiping the chalk off the slate and giving you a new and fresh start. Take the negative thoughts write them on paper, shred the negative thought paper throw those away. Write a new paper with every positive thing about yourself, what positive things others have said about you and positive things you believe in yourself. Add to it every time something new happens, hang it someplace you see everyday and read it. Use it to remind yourself what an awesome courageous person you are. Don’t let yourself fall in a rut, look for the rainbow.

So this tool, bariatric surgery is a tool, time to rethink and make the commitment to long term conditions. It is like wiping the chalk off the slate and giving you a new and fresh start. Take the negative thoughts write them on paper, shred the negative thought paper throw those away. Write a new paper with every positive thing about yourself, what positive things others have said about you and positive things you believe in yourself. Add to it every time something new happens, hang it someplace you see everyday and read it. Use it to remind yourself what an awesome courageous person you are. Don’t let yourself fall in a rut, look for the rainbow.

Love this Roni, great advice!

I am so sorry you don't have the support that you need and your feelings are overwhelming. I read that this surgery and loss of food (BFF) leads to a period of sadness and grieving. Grieving a loss has no timeline. You are still you! Stick with your therapy and find very small slivers of happiness each day...they will eventually lead to more good days than bad.

Back