• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Packing for hospital

I had my pre-op appointment today and we went over all the meds. I was told to stop meds and vitamins 7 days prior to surgery date. Expect, I also have albuterol for asthma, I specifically asked about that one and she said if I needed it, use it - even the day of surgery. And bring nothing with me. But with a lot of this info, a lot depends on your doctor and/or facility. Best advice, is to ask them about meds. In my hospital/coverage, we can email the doctor, the dietitian, the surgery nurse, etc. They are great about getting right back to me. I had a question about the protein/calorie requirements for the pre-op diet. The dietitian called me within half a day. I think they all used to the questions.

I went with nothing! Lived in the gown for two days and went home. Yes, I had a toothbrush. Yes the hospital provided some mouthwash.

I walked all around the halls with my double gown so that my a** didn't get too much public scrutiny.

:)

Ralph

Blood Clot Meds

I was wondering... for those of you that had RNY, how long were you on blood clot meds?

Thanks,
Denice

Deena, excellent question must be great minds think alike, :)... That was a question on my list for my appointment tomorrow.

Thanks for the answer Ralph. :)

a little advice for those on more than one type of meds. Make a list of all meds with amount and times taken. At the pre-op visit the nurse will ask as will those doing pre-op test then when you check in they will want to know and then again when they start the iv. I took the stickers that come with my meds when I get a refill and put them on notebook paper. I also listed the last time and date taken. The nurse said she could hug me because she had to have the list and she didn't have to try to spell them and guess at the mg taken. I made 6 copies and just handed them out as needed. When it comes to mixing meds don't take chances either bring you bottles or the complete list of medications. Another option is to have your pharmacy run you a list but you will have to know the last amount and time taken for each medication. I am only on two things but it was still great to have that list made.

I have been through this med drill so many times. I made up my own list with Rx, dosage, when to take, etc.,

It is very helpful to be completely organized. It makes the pre-op visits so much easier.

I did not bring any meds to the hospital. I suppose each hospital is different. So listen to what they have to say at your pre-op visit.

Ralph

Good to know, thanks. I haven't wanted to buy any new clothes so my wardrobe is limited. I think I'm set with what I need.

Comfy pants and top (worn to and from)
Tooth brush, paste, tongue scrapper, mouth wash
Shampoo, moisturizer, & lotion
Don't forget Chapstick!
Reading glasses
Small change purse with money, Id & debit card (just incase)
iPad, iPhone, & iPod Shuffle with chargers and earbuds!
Shoes, comfy mules or slides
CPAP machine
Prescriptions !!!

I think that's all. Am I forgetting something?

I think that is all good but, I read on someone else's post about scripts. Do we need to take them with us? Some people are saying not. I am now confused about that one so I think I will call my nurse navigator and ask her about it. I thought I was the only one who had to take a cpap machine with me I guess not. I should get the definite word today so I have been getting all of my things together because I am positive all will fall in line for Dec 2 and the nurse navigator said the same to me. I am getting nervous/excited all at the same time.

Hi TilieS I was in the hospital over Mothers Day in 2010 for emergency appendicitis. I of course didn't have my CPAP machine so the hospital provided one for me. It was difficult getting the mask just right (you know what I mean) and had my son bring me my mask from home. It made an uncomfortable situation better. My nurse nav wants me to bring my CPAP to my pre-op appt so they can inspect and mark it or the hospital won't let me bring it. Not sure why. Homeland security? I don't know.

I was wondering... for those of you that had RNY, how long were you on blood clot meds?

Thanks,
Denice

I had to give myself injections for a month after I got home. Then I returned to using Coumadin as a bloodthinner because I had a pulmonary embolism a couple yrs ago and statistics show that once you have one, you probably will have another one.

Hi TilieS I was in the hospital over Mothers Day in 2010 for emergency appendicitis. I of course didn't have my CPAP machine so the hospital provided one for me. It was difficult getting the mask just right (you know what I mean) and had my son bring me my mask from home. It made an uncomfortable situation better. My nurse nav wants me to bring my CPAP to my pre-op appt so they can inspect and mark it or the hospital won't let me bring it. Not sure why. Homeland security? I don't know.

The hospital doesn't want to be held liable if your machine malfunctions. When my mom had heart surgery, they had to have someone from the hospital inspect it before she could use it.

Back