• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pain meds

I only used the pain med while in the hospital. I’m allergic to all but tramadol, and was given a Rx for it but used Tylenol when I got home My surgeon did a great job numbing the incision sites, and they stayed numb for about 3 days. But everyone’s pain tolerance is completely different.

I was on sort of a three-tiered pain regimen. Tylenol first, Celebrex if needed, and then Oxy if needed. I made due with tylenol most of the time but took the Celebrex a bit, and the oxy here and there, but it was significantly better after day three and pretty much non-existent after a week. It's a bit different for each person, but that was my exprience.

The first few days when I was home I just took Tylenol pretty much round the clock as I wanted to stay ahead of any pain. (Something I had learned after knee replacement surgery - don't wait until the pain is too horrible). But everyone's pain is different. If the Tylenol isn't cutting it for you, then go for it. You certainly don't want to have trouble sleeping because you are in pain.

I took lortabs and extra strength Tylenol dissolve packs the 1st 4 days, then just Tylenol after that. I loved the dissolve packs bc I could take them anytime since they didn't need water.

I didn't have a lot of pain, but I didn't want to chance it & feel miserable those 1st few days. Good luck with this.

I didn't take any pain management except very very sporadic tylonal. This was by choice. Docs wanted/tried to keep me on pain management in the hospital- it only took me throwing up the meds to make them stop forcing it. I would take it if/when pain was really bad and this only came when I was more mobile likely from over doing it.

They only gave me a week or so worth or liquid T3, it was ok, but really the discomfort was minor, I just took it because I like it. Doctor didn't like that at all, oh well it's the truth. I had some oxy from a previous doctor and never thought about needing one post-op because things were so controllable. I do and did use Tylenol (dissolve packs are fun!) for arthritic pain since we can't do NSAIDS.
I don't like pain so meds are needed sometimes.

Back