• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pain relief

Jniz

These posts are educating more me in a couple of days than my first 4.5 months in my Bariatric program. My PA. tells me (haven't met the surgeon yet) I can decide which surgery I have gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy. The PA. is telling me they feel like the bypass is a little better in their opinion overall. She suggested since my wife is having the bypass (were both scheduled hopefully late spring Covid permitting) maybe I should do the same. My concern now is what will I do for joint pain after Surgery, long-term nobody has mentioned this to date. I realize weight loss will help but it's not going to help with all of my of my pain Tylenol is like taking sugar pill other than headaches. I have two choices in my area for bariatric programs hopefully I picked right. It sounds like the sleeve maybe the better option. The PA knows that I take naproxen every day.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks!!

I appreciate the previous post on this topic!

J

Definitely a conversation to have with your doctor. My understanding is that you can't have NSAIDs with a bypass but some surgeons will let you after a while with the sleeve (sometimes but I'm not thinking daily). I think you have to be direct with your doctor and know what his position is on it and make your decision from there. Also, you might want to discuss alternative treatments with a rheumatologist.

My surgeon said no NSAIDs .. ever. I have arthritis and was also taking naproxen every day. I will tell you, you will be very surprised at how much losing the weight helps your joints. But you definitely need to have that discussion with your doctor. There are other things they can give you for pain if you need them. I haven't needed anything but I have a cousin who has other pain issues and they had to adjust many of her meds. There is stuff out there.

I have arthritis in my knees. I dont take anything for it and honestly losing weight has done wonders. It has also significantly helped the pain in my feet from flat feet. Most of the time the only real problem I have with my knees now is when weather shifts to extream cold or wetness.

Losing weight after surgery will most likely help a lot. You'll hear a wide range of opinions about NSAIDs after sleeve. Celebrex was part of my immediate post surgery pain control. My first option was Tylenol, second level was Celebrex (for sleeve patients only), and then narcotics. So, I was never really off NSAIDs at all (Celebrex is an NSAID). I was told not to take other NSAIDs besides Celebrex for the first month. After that, my doctors all say, yes, don't worry about it, but I know other doctors have told people with sleeves "no, never." As far as the bypass goes, there does seem to be consensus that NSAIDs are a complete no-go afterward.

There are some other non-narcotic pain control options out there, and not all NSAIDs are created equal, so to speak. In general, I really try to avoid any medications, and as I mentioned, now that I'm 95lbs lighter, there is A LOT less pain, so I rarely even think about wanting to take something.

I get regular acupuncture for pain management and stress, and that helps more than medications, in my case anyway.

Be sure to get your doctors to listen to your concerns about pain and give you options, because they are out there if you need them. Also consider acupuncture.

I have nueropathy and i take gabapentin everyday. You can still take your meds just nothing with aspirin. I have the bypass. My pain is maintained and with normal meds the dose will need to be adjusted as you lose

Thank-you all for weighing in on my question. This will definitely help with what questions to ask the appropriate medical professionals. I have become a bit cynical with the medical profession and; have come to realize that I have to advocate for myself sometimes to the point that some see me as a pain in the ass. My GP of the last 5 years has set the bar quite high the Dr and the clinic actually follow up on everything there supposed to. Not to say there haven’t had good experiences in the past but many are lacking.

I have done acupuncture for many years and it does help alleviate some of my pains andoverall well being. I can’t say enough good about that practice. However; it has never really helped with my food cravings. My acupuncturist recently retired and I now have to drive 2 hours round trip for each session.

My rant for the day! I have many more questions’ and can’t thank everyone enough for their insight on our journey together.

J

Back