• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pain where Lap Band is located:

Msdollie

I had surgery on 11/1/11, and now I have lots of pain where the lap band is located. If I touch the area, it's sore.... And it's 6 weeks since my first fill. Now, I'm feeling hungry all the time. I'm away from home, should I call my surgery? And fly back home? Away till mid-March. Is this normal?

Hey msdollie! I had a band, had to have it removed because of multiple complications, and now am post RNY. Let me start out by saying, I'm not "anti-band". They are a fabulous tool and when mine worked correctly I lost 100lbs. i have friends and co-workers who have had the band for a long time and are doing VERY well with it.

Please don't think I'm trying to scare you, your problem could be nothing, but it could also be the sign of something serious. You didn't say if the area was warm or raised/swollen. I had a staph infection around my band from day 1. I don't believe that pain/soreness is normal at this stage. You are almost 3 months out. You should be feeling awesome and starting to enjoy your new body!

Call your doctor. I know you don't want to travel back home right now but maybe your surgeon knows another surgeon in the area you are in that may be able to help you in a pinch. Please please please don't leave this alone. I suffered for 2 years because I trusted that my surgeon was doing the right thing and all the while I had an infection raging inside my belly. I switched surgeons and have been getting awesome care but when I went in to see my new doc he told me on the 1st visit that the band was coming out A.S.A.P.! DON'T LET THIS GO! I want you to be a success!:D

Keep us posted on what is going on:)

Lisa xx

Back