• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

paragraphs

Please allow me to ask for a hard thing.

Many people dictate or type without breaking a paragraph after a thought is finished. This makes your post look like a big black mass of ink. If i lose my spot, i have a hell of a time finding it, and sometimes have to start from the beginning.

This is so irritating, and to me, rude, that i sometimes just refuse to read it.

Please use paragraphs to contain each of your important thoughts. You're worth listening to. You can break up your huge mass of words after you finish and before you post.

I'm begging you, please, im 70 years old and can't spend huge bits of time trying to figure out your point in what looks like a thick brushstroke of black paint.

Oh gosh I might also, sort of stream of consciousness thing. I am going to make a point of improving. I totally understand also, I can't take a huge blob of text, it is just too much to digest and I also skip it. Same at work, if they explain for too long I am totally over it and want to leave.

I LOVE you guys! Thank you for being so considerate. I was so scared to ask, and now i just burst into tears!

Please know that the reason I asked is that I WANT to read everyone's posts. And even if I wasn't going to turn 70 tomorrow, I'd still have a hard time.

This is a piece of trivia I learned long ago when I was a college English tutor. if you look at a block of text and sort of squint your eyes, you'll see a grey block with white "rivers" running through it. The fewer rivers you see, the denser the text and the harder it is to read.

That's why it's so helpful to write short grafs of text. Your eye speeds along the dark line, as we learned in grade school. Its ironic how hard it is to read Ph.D. dissertations! Just goes to show you, you don't necessarily get smarter as you get older.

Or as an old boyfriend once told me, "You get paid by the word."

Again, thank you.

Back