• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pema Chodron on courage

Move toward difficulty

We are told from childhood that something is wrong with us, with the world, and with everything that comes along: it's not perfect, it has rough edges, it has a bitter taste, it's too loud, too soft, too sharp, too wishy-washy. We cultivate a sense of trying to make things better because something is bad here, something is a mistake here, something is a problem here. The main point of the Buddhist teachings is to dissolve the dualistic struggle, our habitual tendency to struggle against what's happening to us or in us. These teachings instruct us to move toward difficulties rather than backing away. We don't get this kind of encouragement very often.

Everything that occurs is not only usable and workable but is actually the path itself. We can use everything that happens to us as a means for waking up. We can use everything that occurs---whether it's our conflicting emotions and thoughts or our seemingly outer situation---to show us where we are asleep and how we can wake up completely, utterly, without reservations.

I really enjoy the teachings of Pema Chodron. I was first drawn to Tibetan Buddhism over 20 yrs ago when I was really struggling with attachments. I took vows in the tradition to engross myself in the study of trying to avoid or acknowledge the extremes in life and find a balance. In 2011, I took vows in the Soto Zen tradition to work on the last part of her teaching, using my experiences to guide me towards tranquility, serenity, quiet acceptance, and deeper compassion for others through understanding. It goes without saying, it’s tough. A daily trial and I get caught up, but with each moment there’s that opportunity to begin again with resolve. Thank you for sharing this message, I needed it again

Back