• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Phase 2 - Beginning of Week 3

I have been reading up on suggested foods during this this phase. I am lactose intolerant. I do not like or care for the taste of cheese or any milk based products. I do drink the protein drinks/shakes. What other types of replacements I can have instead of cheese/cottage cheese or yogurt?

How severely lactose intolerant are you? I re-discovered my love of soups during this period. Cream of broccoli, cream of mushroom, potato, chicken, tomato, clam chowder. The cream-of variety might not work for you, but they are super delicious and 1 can would last me 2 meals.

I also ate progresso light soups, chicken noodle, minestrone, garden vegetable, split pea, tomato, lentil, etc. I still keep these stocked and they are a great go-to low calorie meal that is very satisfying. Make no mistake; I do not claim these are delicious or comparable to home made options lol but they are good enough for me
My biggest angst was availibility of the soup varieties - I had to shuffle between walmart and kroger stores and even walgreens. I guess here in the south BBQ country, canned light soups don't warrant much shelf space.

It seems the canned soups (while being kinda high in sodium) is super convienant, quite low in calories and all the solid food components are cooked to the point of being easily chewable into the consistency of apple sauce.

How severely lactose intolerant are you? I re-discovered my love of soups during this period. Cream of broccoli, cream of mushroom, potato, chicken, tomato, clam chowder. The cream-of variety might not work for you, but they are super delicious and 1 can would last me 2 meals.

I also ate progresso light soups, chicken noodle, minestrone, garden vegetable, split pea, tomato, lentil, etc. I still keep these stocked and they are a great go-to low calorie meal that is very satisfying. Make no mistake; I do not claim these are delicious or comparable to home made options lol but they are good enough for me
My biggest angst was availibility of the soup varieties - I had to shuffle between walmart and kroger stores and even walgreens. I guess here in the south BBQ country, canned light soups don't warrant much shelf space.

It seems the canned soups (while being kinda high in sodium) is super convienant, quite low in calories and all the solid food components are cooked to the point of being easily chewable into the consistency of apple sauce.

I can handle the canned soups, yet I am in the pureed stage of things, so did you puree or just ate the soups to the consistency of apple sauce? I am just wondering.

If you are in the pureed stage, I would throw the soup in a blender. The problem with eating non-pureed foods and relying on your chewing to puree it, is it doesn't always happen. If your mind wanders for even a second, you could simply swallow the mouthful of food and not have chewed it enough. Be safe and simply pop it into the blender first. Your stomach will thank you!

If you are in the pureed stage, I would throw the soup in a blender. The problem with eating non-pureed foods and relying on your chewing to puree it, is it doesn't always happen. If your mind wanders for even a second, you could simply swallow the mouthful of food and not have chewed it enough. Be safe and simply pop it into the blender first. Your stomach will thank you!
How are you doing missdarmitage?

I'm doing good! Started a new job about a month ago and just trying to get used to my new normal :) Very happy that this week was only 50 hours! Its exhausting but I'm loving it. How are you? I feel like it has been awhile since I saw your pic last. Is that new? You look amazing and so happy!
I love being at work, my photo was taken last October at a work event and I was dressed in 40s style next to a vintage B-25 plane. That’s why I look happy! I’m doing great health wise, trying to maintain my weight and stay healthy, I find I have trouble eating when I’m stressed, so the past few months have been a struggle. I’ve found some protein bars I can tolerate and a Starbucks skinny vanilla latte helps get some protein/calories in :) The protein bars I like are called power crunch if anyone is interested, and my favorite flavor is red velvet. I’m pleased you’re doing well x

I found a few recipes for this stage and have added non-flavored protein powder to them when I pureed them. I found a chicken salad and egg salad recipe. Both are really tasty even though it is more of a pate' feel in your mouth. I made the made the ricotta bake, which is delicious but it is dairy. I also have a recipe for homemade refried beans that I am going to try today. I also have been making oatmeal and cream of wheat and thinning it with vanilla protein shake. I hope this helps a little. I too, am at stage 2.

I love being at work, my photo was taken last October at a work event and I was dressed in 40s style next to a vintage B-25 plane. That’s why I look happy! I’m doing great health wise, trying to maintain my weight and stay healthy, I find I have trouble eating when I’m stressed, so the past few months have been a struggle. I’ve found some protein bars I can tolerate and a Starbucks skinny vanilla latte helps get some protein/calories in :) The protein bars I like are called power crunch if anyone is interested, and my favorite flavor is red velvet. I’m pleased you’re doing well x
I will have to check out the protein bars.... I miss my red velvet cake! I'm so glad you are doing well. Hopefully you are finding ways to help reduce the stress. I know the crazy world we are living in doesn't make it easy to be stress free right now, but I'm sure your determination will push you through this so yo are healthy not only physically but mentally. And keep enjoying those skinny vanilla lattes! I am actually thinking about getting one for myself today :) We will just have to see how a body that hasn't had caffeine in 18 months will react to it.... hmmm..... ;)

Back