• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pleas help I need suggestions

Tmr1234

So I’m 5 days post op and every time I try to drink the clear liquid protein it makes me sick please tell me how you got your protein in the week of surgery

• Beef and chicken bouillon
  • Milk-based soups
  • Malt-O-Meal made with magic milk and thinned to a Milky consistency
  • Whenever possible, incorporating a scoop or two of protein powder from the store into whatever liquidy thing I was consuming
Magic milk is something you should definitely have. The recipe is 1 qt of nonfat milk plus one packet of dry milk powder, like Milkman which was what I used. It doubles the protein in 8 oz of milk. Use it as the base you cook your Malt-O-Meal in and make your smoothies with and every other time you use milk.

I actually have a better list than this but I would have to go dig up my bariatric file in order to share more with you.

Whatever you consume, just make sure that it is completely liquefied.

I don't think I could have met my protein requirements without using magic milk.

• Beef and chicken bouillon
  • Milk-based soups
  • Malt-O-Meal made with magic milk and thinned to a Milky consistency
  • Whenever possible, incorporating a scoop or two of protein powder from the store into whatever liquidy thing I was consuming
Magic milk is something you should definitely have. The recipe is 1 qt of nonfat milk plus one packet of dry milk powder, like Milkman which was what I used. It doubles the protein in 8 oz of milk. Use it as the base you cook your Malt-O-Meal in and make your smoothies with and every other time you use milk.

I actually have a better list than this but I would have to go dig up my bariatric file in order to share more with you.

Whatever you consume, just make sure that it is completely liquefied.

I don't think I could have met my protein requirements without using magic milk.
I would try that but they have me on water based proteins till I go to my post op appointment then I hope they move me to full liquids so I can try the milk based ones

Since that is the case, your nutritionist should be very involved at this point. He or she should give you a specific diet that allows you to take in as many protein grams as you need to while not harming the healing process. And I think I forgot to say congratulations to you on your new life.:D

Last edited:
So I’m 5 days post op and every time I try to drink the clear liquid protein it makes me sick please tell me how you got your protein in the week of surgery
Whats going on? Are you disgusted or grossed out with your clear protein? What kinds are you using? I did premier clear fruit punch flavor

Are you able to keep water down?

In addition to clear protein drinks, i also sipped down chicken & beef broth/bullion cubes. Also sipped the liquids from chicken noodle soups. I tried bone broth its crazy healthy but wasnt my thing.

My doc allowed sugar free jellos for me during this time, i ate orange & lime flavors

Whats going on? Are you disgusted or grossed out with your clear protein? What kinds are you using? I did premier clear fruit punch flavor

Are you able to keep water down?

In addition to clear protein drinks, i also sipped down chicken & beef broth/bullion cubes. Also sipped the liquids from chicken noodle soups. I tried bone broth its crazy healthy but wasnt my thing.

My doc allowed sugar free jellos for me during this time, i ate orange & lime flavors
I’m tries protein 2o and now I’m trying the isopure clear liquid powder and they are making me sick to my stomach and yes I can keep water down and sugar free pop cycles and sugar free jello also makes me sick I’m not understanding this

I tried both of the clear liquids you are doing. They didn't work for me (right away) either. Try the Isopure premade in the glass bottles. They are slightly expensive (IMO) BUT they have 40 grams of protein per bottle. , If you mix 5 oz with 5 oz reg water, they are much easier to get down and 5 oz has 10 grams of protein. I got the lemonade flavor and added fresh basil leaves, cuz the taste is still a bit strong, even watered down. I had to go to a GNC to get them. (well, I sent someone but still) I had an aversion to even the smell of chicken broth the first week. It went away for me so I hope the same will be true for you and you are feeling better soon.

I tried both of the clear liquids you are doing. They didn't work for me (right away) either. Try the Isopure premade in the glass bottles. They are slightly expensive (IMO) BUT they have 40 grams of protein per bottle. , If you mix 5 oz with 5 oz reg water, they are much easier to get down and 5 oz has 10 grams of protein. I got the lemonade flavor and added fresh basil leaves, cuz the taste is still a bit strong, even watered down. I had to go to a GNC to get them. (well, I sent someone but still) I had an aversion to even the smell of chicken broth the first week. It went away for me so I hope the same will be true for you and you are feeling better soon.
Thank you I was looking at those but on the back of the bottle it says contains milk and I haven’t been cleared for full liquids yet

Thank you I was looking at those but on the back of the bottle it says contains milk and I haven’t been cleared for full liquids yet
The Zero Carb Isopure does contain whey (milk) protein isolate. This is also the main protein source in Protein 2o and most clear protein drinks. As long as you can see through it, it is considered a "clear" liquid. You just can't have the thick, shake like protein drinks yet. Good Luck.

Back