• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

please help Bethlyn70

Bethlyn70

Hi , Im going to do the Bariatric Surgery. I don't know what one is better. The Sleeve Gastrectomy or the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bybass .Can anyone out there help me out please? and by the foods, I do eat the Protein first,then the rest, for snacks, I eat Yoplait Greek, and Kellogg's Special K makes cereal bars and chips. you can eat them instead of the other bad snacks,, but keep the fruit and vegs,in your meals to..

Thank you ,,Bethlyn70 :)

Hi , Im going to do the Bariatric Surgery. I don't know what one is better. The Sleeve Gastrectomy or the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bybass .Can anyone out there help me out please? and by the foods, I do eat the Protein first,then the rest, for snacks, I eat Yoplait Greek, and Kellogg's Special K makes cereal bars and chips. you can eat them instead of the other bad snacks,, but keep the fruit and vegs,in your meals to..

Thank you ,,Bethlyn70 :)

Hi Bethlyn, WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I picked the R-N-Y because I can just look at food and gain weight so I wanted to change my digestion so I wouldn't absorb the calories as easy plus the stomach is redone to be only to be able to hold a few ounces. My stomach only held 2 oz when I first had surgery, it will stretch so its important not to overeat.

Other people like the Sleeve because it doesn't change digestion but it does change the stomach size which limits the amount of food that can be consumed at one time.

Many people are successful with both types of surgery. I love the type of surgery that I chose. You have to decide which surgery is better for you. It's a personal choice. Good Luck !!!

Cheyenne. :cool:

I Have to go tomorrow and get my EGD done in Kane PA. and Im going on my 5th Visit on the May 23rd. To see Mariann N Kahle RD LDN .Regional Worksite Wellness Coordinator,Corporate Health Services.She is located in Bradford,PA. Then on May 27th, I'm going to see Heidi Gianaria an Dietitian in erie.Then in June 13th.I will go see an Phychlocal in Bradford.Then I will be almost done after I pick what Surgery I'm going to have. Bethlyn70

I Have to go tomorrow and get my EGD done in Kane PA. and Im going on my 5th Visit on the May 23rd. To see Mariann N Kahle RD LDN .Regional Worksite Wellness Coordinator,Corporate Health Services.She is located in Bradford,PA. Then on May 27th, I'm going to see Heidi Gianaria an Dietitian in erie.Then in June 13th.I will go see an Phychlocal in Bradford.Then I will be almost done after I pick what Surgery I'm going to have. Bethlyn70

Bethlyn, Just talk to your surgeon to have him explain the good points of each type of surgery. Then make your decision and go for it. Good luck!!!

Cheyenne

Hi Bethlyn. I chose the sleeve only because it allows me to take NSAIDs instead of narcotics for pain control. I have osteoarthritis in my left shoulder and trouble with narcotics in general I'm allergic to most. I like the sleeve I've finally gotten the eating process down I won't have the vitamin absorption problems like the bypass people do so I will be off most pills in about one month. I had to take Metformin for type 2 diabetes but haven't since surgery. I don't even have to teats any more. Also my BP medicine and cholesterol medicine have been discontinued. I've lost 57 pounds since my surgery. I'm averaging about 2 pound a week now. I'm up to almost 1000 calories a day. I hope this helps. Your surgeon and Nurse Practioner will be able to help you decide better since they are getting to know you inside and out. Good luck. Enjoy the adventure.

Hello Bethlyn,
I choose the sleeve because I felt like the recovery time and follow up visits were the least amount of hassle and it still gave me the tool I needed to lose weight. I still take vitamins because I don't absorb as well as I did before, but I can also eat whatever I want and not get sick....good or bad! I still have to work out and eat right, and I could "graze" my weight right back up, but I cannot really binge because I will feel sick due to the lack of space. I try to tell people not to think of the surgery as a cure, but rather a tool that will help you be more successful if you let it! Best of luck to you!

Bethlyn like others have said it is a personal choice. I choose the sleeve because it doesn't effect the absorption or the way the body naturally functions. It simply reduces the size of the stomach, then you have to use that as a tool. I think it will help me learn portion control and to make better choices. As the weight comes off I plan on becoming more active. I am thinking of it as a new start to a new lifestyle one that I have to learn, just like I learned the lifestyle I have now.
Don't stress about it to much, your healthcare team will be able to help you with all your decisions.
Good Luck

Thank you for letting know how you feel on the sleeve,,My family doctor feel the same way to, but she said it is up to me and see what the surgeryen has to say about it..I will keep in mind all what you all have told me. and I will let you soon. what my choose is...Bethlyn70

Bethlyn70 just wondering if you are diabetic ? If so the r n y would be better. Your doctors should advise you on the best choice GOOD LUCK

Hi Bethlyn70: All my doctors encouraged me to have the gastric bypass because of the amount of weight that I had to lose, 200+lbs. However, when I did meet with my surgeon, he (and his partner) refused to do the gastric bypass because of a couple of reasons; 1. they seldom if ever did the GB in their practice anymore in general and 2. I had too many medical complications to have that surgery. He explained the sleeve and the lap-band to me and I chose the sleeve. Because insurances were now permitting the sleeve there was a huge wave of people wanting the surgery and to slow the process down they (Humana) required a 4month Dr. supervised diet. This was a little frustrating to me as I discovered that I could be on any diet I wanted. I didn't have to lose any weight on it. It was being used to slow the demand down and weed out people who wouldn't comply. I had already been losing weight before the surgery to help my own surgery go smoothly. So, I did the 4month diet and was finally approved for surgery. As far as what you eat and how you eat after the surgery was explained to me before surgery by a nutritionist and nurse so that I could have what I needed at home before I had the surgery. My surgeon follows his patients for 5yrs. after surgery. This was my 9th. attempt to have bariatric surgery in 13yrs. In that time, the insurance co. sent me to several different surgeons. I'm so pleased with the surgeon that I chose because of all the support before and after the surgery that he and his team provided me. I think that it will make the most difference in my continued success with the weight loss and I encourage you to choose your surgeon carefully. Make sure that he will provide you with the support you will need. Good luck and I'll be watching to see how it works out for you.

Hi Bethlyn I do believe it is a personal choice I chose the Gen-Y due to food absortion and i'm type 2 diabiatic. This has been very helpful to me no issues and very good recovery from surgery in Feburary. What ever you and your doctor choose congrats for making the decision to do it! keep us posted!

Back