• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Please help me help a friend

Sheldon

Hello everyone. I've found your group, courtesy of Google, as I have a dear friend who wants to have this surgery. We live in Canada (Winnipeg) and the surgery is not available for him here. Accordingly, he is starting to look for options in the U.S. Several years ago I had prostate cancer and had huge help from online groups such as this one. With prostate cancer there are a number of treatments, one being surgery, which I had. When the decision is made for surgery, and options are not restricted by cash/payment, the next step is to find centers of excellence where surgeons, anesthesiologists, OR nurses, recovery room nurses, ward nurses, all make an experienced team that give the patient the best odds of success. Then, you start to interview surgeons. During the process you talk to as many post-op survivors as you can to learn as much as you can.

I assume a similar process would make sense for bariatric surgery. But it might not. If not, I would appreciate your advice as to what the best protocol to follow is, and if it is the way to approach finding the right surgeon at the right facility with the right team, then advice on centers of excellence and anything else he should be aware of would be much appreciated.

I expect my friend, Craig, will be joining us here in the future, but at the moment he is dealing with several other things in his life and I 'volunteered' to make the initial post to help get this started.

On a personal note, I have not read many, but I have read a few, of the posts in this group and I salute you all. I am in awe of each and everyone of you. I wish each many, many years of good health and happiness.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Sheldon

Back