• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Please help

tweetie

I need either some serious encouragement or answers pleaseeeeeee......I had my surgery 4 weeks and 4 days ago, I had lost 50 pounds on my own the few months prior to surgery and almost cancelled it feeling like I could do it on my own, but decided to follow through for the extra tool. However, even though in the 2 weeks following surgery I lost 11 pounds, I have not lost any since. I have spoke with my dietician who says it is normal, but I am feeling like maybe surgery was a mistake. I mean I am really discouraged, I feel like either I am eating too much or something is wrong. If anyone can shed some light or help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

During surgery they pump you full of fluids. I came home 20 lb higher than I was the day of surgery. It takes a few weeks for that water to leave your body.

Follow your diet the surgeon gave you. You will lose weight!

Good Luck!!!

Cheyenne

Thank you Cheyenne................it is just frustrating, I knew they told me they would be pumping me full of fluids to help ensure not dehydrated. However, since I lost 11 pounds by 2 week post op I would not have expected it to go the other way. I lost 3 more pounds then gained them back and now have maintained that weight for 2 weeks. Has honestly messed with my head, making me question having the surgery. And yet out of all the surgeries I have had (9 in last 4 years) this has been the easiest and least recovery, so I was excited. Now not so much.

Hi tweetie! Are you able to workout? Do you have a fit bit or exercise ball? I got aggravated also but you have to think about how you feel....and not so much about a number on a scale. 1/2 pound a week equals 26 lbs a year. Set yourself a small goal. Something achievable. It will come. I exercise about 2 hours a day but have to make myself. It's hard when I saw no significant difference from day to day. Then, at some point, it started changing and now I notice something new every day. Ribs....hip bone....Sparky!

Hi Biggbill.....thank you for responding, and yes I know that 1/2 a pound a week equals 26 pounds a year, but right now at this point I am really feeling like this surgery was a huge mistake. I was really excited and even after surgery I was so happy because I have had about 12 surgeries in the past few years (none weight related) and of all of them this was the least painful and best and easiest recovery. However, now if I was to go back I don't think I would do it again. I did not go through all this and do this to my body to feel like I was doing better before surgery. I have not lost any weight now in over 4 weeks and I did better before surgery on my own. Yes I know and was very aware that this would be a tool and not a magic solution, but I am feeling like you would if you went to buy any other tool for a particular job and when you got home it didn't work, or was broken. All I am seeing from this surgery are scars on my body and uncomfortable feelings when I eat a little too fast. Ok I will stop venting now, but am kinda burnt on hearing people say it will happen just wait. LOL that's funny because I didn't have to wait 4 weeks to see results before when I was eating more food than I am now.

You have the Sleeve surgery, which cuts the stomach size down. Everything else remained the same. You should fill up fast because your tummy only holds about 2 or 3 ounces now. The operation doesn't change your metabolism, just how much you can eat at a time. You shouldn't blame the surgery for not losing as fast as it didnt change anything in how you burn up calories. It only limits how much you can eat at once.

I got the Gastric Bypass which gave me a 2 oz. stomach plus my intestines was re-routed and I dont absorb as many calories when I eat. I needed the Bypass because I could look at food and gain weight before my surgery. It was the right choice for me.

Maybe your body is just adjusting to everything and you're possibly just at a temporary plateau.

Good luck,

Cheyenne

Cheyenne....you are right as far as what the surgery did physically and I am very aware of that, however as you stated it has changed how much I can eat and since I was losing weight before surgery with eating more and not now, then yes I can say the only thing that has changed is I had surgery.

My doctors office tells me it is normal, but that does not change as I stated in my post my frustrations and feelings of maybe I made a wrong choice. I understand this was not a cure all or miracle worker but rather a tool. However, currently I feel like I invested in a tool that is broken or not working for me.

Back