• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Please tell me it gets easier...

Matia

I’m 2.5 weeks post op RNY. I’ve found it extremely challenging the last couple of days. I’m home with my family who are eating non stop. I have a nose like a blood hound and can smell everything throughout the house. We are isolating because of covid. I’m hoping things get easier when I can eat soft foods in 1.5 weeks. I’ve been on fluids for 3 weeks pre-op and 2.5 weeks post op. I can’t work out for another 3.5 weeks outside of walking. I feel all I’m doing is drinking and am no where near to getting in 1.5 litres of water. Is it normal to have buyers remorse so early post-op? I’m usually very positive and I can’t believe how discouraged I feel.

It does get easier! I think a lot of of go through the oh no what did I just do to myself stage! I'm 9 months out and I still remember the roller coaster early on. I think it was better for me around month 2 or 3. I predict you will be happy with your decision once you get used to the new lifestyle

I’m 2.5 weeks post op RNY. I’ve found it extremely challenging the last couple of days. I’m home with my family who are eating non stop. I have a nose like a blood hound and can smell everything throughout the house. We are isolating because of covid. I’m hoping things get easier when I can eat soft foods in 1.5 weeks. I’ve been on fluids for 3 weeks pre-op and 2.5 weeks post op. I can’t work out for another 3.5 weeks outside of walking. I feel all I’m doing is drinking and am no where near to getting in 1.5 litres of water. Is it normal to have buyers remorse so early post-op? I’m usually very positive and I can’t believe how discouraged I feel.
I’m almost two weeks out and I feel like I’m in limbo here. Our situation seems very unique due to this pandemic. My family is also all home and eating delicious foods. It’s definitely been hard to navigate. What kind of things are you having on your liquid diet? I also have found it difficult to get all my water in despite constantly sipping. I started using crystal light in my water and I think it’s helped. I feel like I’m battling my fat brain super hard right now. I don’t really feel my stomach to know if im hungry or full or whatever so I’m just eating exactly as prescribed. I have a follow up appt with my doc on Wednesday when he and the nutritionist will tell me if I can move to puréed stage. I had the sleeve btw.

Thank you for your response as I feel in limbo as well. I’m having full fluids which includes a premier protein shake, thinned oatmeal, strained low fat soup, fat free yogurt, sugar free jello and pureed unsweetened fruit. I am suppose to be having 3 meals and 3 snacks but impossible to eat that much food. I as well can’t tell when I am full. I’m eating about 1/4 cup at each meal as per the team’s recommendations. I’m having a heck of a time with fluids. I’m sipping all day long but can’t get anywhere close to the 6-8 cups per day. Constipation has been an issue- first time in my life. I was quite dehydrated before the dietician gave the green light for premier protein. I have a teleconference with the dietitian on Wednesday. My surgeon’s appointment has been cancelled indefinitely. As much as I love my family I wonder if a lot of my discouragement stems from this isolation and it being too cold to get outside at this time. Please keep in touch and let us know how tour appointment goes:)

It does get easier! I think a lot of of go through the oh no what did I just do to myself stage! I'm 9 months out and I still remember the roller coaster early on. I think it was better for me around month 2 or 3. I predict you will be happy with your decision once you get used to the new lifestyle
Thank you, that’s reassuring. I can’t wait for warmer days and hope this pandemic is short lived

As each week passes, yes it does get easier! I had my RNY gastric bypass 3 months ago. Don't be discouraged if you are not getting all your water in, the broth, creamed soups, and other liquids you take in count towards that. Even passing the 3-month postop stage I'm behind in not getting 600-900 calories in everyday, but I can reach it maybe a couple of days per week. My roommates are all great cooks and when they were in the kitchen I would walk outside or at least open my window. Once you move onto the soft foods it will be so much better. Hang in there! Stay healthy and safe!

Thank you for your response as I feel in limbo as well. I’m having full fluids which includes a premier protein shake, thinned oatmeal, strained low fat soup, fat free yogurt, sugar free jello and pureed unsweetened fruit. I am suppose to be having 3 meals and 3 snacks but impossible to eat that much food. I as well can’t tell when I am full. I’m eating about 1/4 cup at each meal as per the team’s recommendations. I’m having a heck of a time with fluids. I’m sipping all day long but can’t get anywhere close to the 6-8 cups per day. Constipation has been an issue- first time in my life. I was quite dehydrated before the dietician gave the green light for premier protein. I have a teleconference with the dietitian on Wednesday. My surgeon’s appointment has been cancelled indefinitely. As much as I love my family I wonder if a lot of my discouragement stems from this isolation and it being too cold to get outside at this time. Please keep in touch and let us know how tour appointment goes:)
Constipation would be horrible. Day three post op I started taking miralax every night and so far it has done the trick. The doc said take it every night and to mix it in only 3-4 ounces of watered down “diet” juice and sip that. So that has been good. I also am doing a 1/4 of a cup each meal and shooting for five meals a day. I literally have a timer set for five times a day trying to make a habit form. This is the hardest part I believe. I have been on liquids for a month and I feel stagnant. I have dropped quite a bit of weight which is motivating for sure. It’s hard not having an escape from the mandatory family time. Love my family so much but would also love some decent weather to be able to take a walk! Hopefully soon we can. I took a drive the other day. I didn’t go anywhere really. Just drove around and then parked at a park for a while my family was eating. It was nice.

I'm with you. I am 10 days post gastric bypass and am in a constant state of hangry lol. I'm on a "mush" diet right now, which I was very thankful to start, following the liquid diet which seemed like an eternity. Most days I do a pretty adequate job of water intake, but in terms of "mush," I don't yet register a feeling of being full, so I'm very nervous I'm going to eat too much, or eat too quickly and stretch out my new stomach. It's a new anxiety I was not prepared for.

Constipation would be horrible. Day three post op I started taking miralax every night and so far it has done the trick. The doc said take it every night and to mix it in only 3-4 ounces of watered down “diet” juice and sip that. So that has been good. I also am doing a 1/4 of a cup each meal and shooting for five meals a day. I literally have a timer set for five times a day trying to make a habit form. This is the hardest part I believe. I have been on liquids for a month and I feel stagnant. I have dropped quite a bit of weight which is motivating for sure. It’s hard not having an escape from the mandatory family time. Love my family so much but would also love some decent weather to be able to take a walk! Hopefully soon we can. I took a drive the other day. I didn’t go anywhere really. Just drove around and then parked at a park for a while my family was eating. It was nice.
Good ideas Thank You!!

I'm with you. I am 10 days post gastric bypass and am in a constant state of hangry lol. I'm on a "mush" diet right now, which I was very thankful to start, following the liquid diet which seemed like an eternity. Most days I do a pretty adequate job of water intake, but in terms of "mush," I don't yet register a feeling of being full, so I'm very nervous I'm going to eat too much, or eat too quickly and stretch out my new stomach. It's a new anxiety I was not prepared for.
It’s tricky. I have the same anxiety as well. I’m hoping with time I’ll understand my newly plumbed GI track and feel more comfortable.

Yes! It gets easier... although I did give my husband the stank eye yesterday for eating an ice cream sandwich in front of me yesterday... Not that I actually really want one - I know that it will make me dump and feel horrible. But the cabin fever is making me a little nuts.

The food isn't bothering me too much, but the cabin fever is awful. I spent several days in the yard on projects, but rain and colder temps are keeping me inside where I have fewer chores. That leaves cooking (oops, I can't eat much of what my son is making) or eating my protein shakes and bars which are going to be in short supply if I hit them too hard. Watching others eat doesn't help either.

Yes! It gets easier... although I did give my husband the stank eye yesterday for eating an ice cream sandwich in front of me yesterday... Not that I actually really want one - I know that it will make me dump and feel horrible. But the cabin fever is making me a little nuts.
Have you tried the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches? I love them. They're still a splurge but fit the bill when the craving hits:

Have you tried the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches? I love them. They're still a splurge but fit the bill when the craving hits:

View attachment 2619
Yes! I do love Skinny Cow... I actually make "nice cream" with either bananas or avocado most of the time, but the fruit man that I go to normally (which makes it affordable to do) is closed right now due to the lockdowns.

I’m in the same position as you are! 2 weeks post op on Monday and I want savory foods. I haven’t done any soup purées yet bc it just sounds gross! I’ve had sugar free popsicles, sf jello, and protein shakes. I was so desperate today I licked my fingers after I served my daughter a handful of takis. But otherwise I’ve just tough it out.

I’m in the same position as you are! 2 weeks post op on Monday and I want savory foods. I haven’t done any soup purées yet bc it just sounds gross! I’ve had sugar free popsicles, sf jello, and protein shakes. I was so desperate today I licked my fingers after I served my daughter a handful of takis. But otherwise I’ve just tough it out.
It's a tough stage to be in Angel but you'll get there. :)

Back