• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op appointment

Nice! Probably starting your pre-op diet soon... good luck with that! I'm only 2 weeks post op and am getting ready for some different food options. Your 2 weeks of pre op looks a lot like your 2 weeks of post op, so (if you haven't already) start stocking up on what works for you. Good Luck!

Hi All, I am new to this site. I am 11 years post OP and still have malnutrition all the time. Low protein and to many carbs. My first 6 months were pure hell, most of the time I would blend the soups to keep flavor but p
Glucerna helped a lot. To keep the hair from falling out... it worked great but now at 66 yrs it is getting difficult to build the nutrition levels.
The first 6 months I was having pain 10 minutes after I would eat or drink anything, every meal or snack .
3 doctors were perplexed and i had cat scans nothing, upper GI tests and nothing. I explained my symptoms with the head of bariatric surgeries. so we had another upper GI test. This time he gave me fluids and I layed down the symptoms showed up.
Heart beating very fast, kidneys are dumping fluids out of my body, liver in hyper mode and painful.
This guy knew exactly what was happening. Vague Nerve Attack.
Hallelujah, the nerve runs through our digestive system and bbn it sound an alarm .
He said get to an internal doctor and have ballooning done. They go through the mouth into the stomach then down to the opening of my pouch. Set a balloon in the opening and inflate it to a safe size. Hallelujah, my symptoms lessened right away, the another ballooning and more symptoms decreased. We had 5 of these done and no more symptoms.
What was happening was, food would go down and when the body would try to pass the food through the first opening the Vagus Nerve would get hurt and it controls all the major organs and they go into a hyper mode and that's when I would feel pain, body dumped all fluids from my body and bowel dumping, colon gets painful also. So you see this could baffle any doctor. I was symptom free for the rest of the journey.
Has anyone experienced these symptoms?

Did your doctor tell you that your vagus nerve involvement was unusual? That's the first time I've ever heard that, even though vagal syncope is very common. I didn't realize the extent to which the vagus nerve is connected to the stomach and digestive process. I hope you're doing great now.

Well just saw my surgeon..ugh!!! Have to be seen by hematologist to get ok to go ahead. Looks like my surgery will be a sleeve, which is ok with me due to complications I have. So no pre op date yet still stress test and 1 more blood test

Hiya Redy, I hope you can get in to the hematologist soon so things keep moving quickly. Better safe than sorry but still a bummer that you have to jump through more hoops. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

Hi all. I got my pre op appointment today!!! July 31st. So excited!!! Hopefully the surgery will be in August!!!
Did I say Excited?????
Great, Redy2go! You and I hopefully will be Aug surg buddies! My pre-op surg appt is July 29. And I have one more Aug 3. My surg is Aug 15. Are you following a specialty diet now? I am following high protein, fruits and veg, low to no sugar, low carbs diet the nutritionist in my program listed for me. Two weeks prior to surg, I’ll be on a stricter diet of calorie intake.

Back