• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post-op Blues

skinny me

OMG: I think what have I done. I had surgery on the 17th of April and have lost 8 pounds to date. My diet consist of clear liquids, protein shakes, & vitamins. I see food in my dreams I smell food cooking and I am craving fish, shrimp, & burgers & I don't know why. I want something to chew soooo bad, gum is out of the question: have been advised not to related to gas formation. Yesterday teachers were honored at church followed by a wonderful luncheon...I declined the lunch on the premise I had another engagement I probably wouldn't have felt so bad if the scale was moving.

I am getting 60-70grams of protein in daily, but water is around 30-40 oz a day. I feel so full all the time after taking a ounce or two. I'm also drinking vitamin water. I don't know I'm feeling isolated. Going for short walks, watching TV, reading, etc. With all this emotion my skin is very dry which is unusual. Any one out there with some encouraging words?

Sorry to hear ur struggles. I dont have first hand advice but Im here to listen and even share my struggles.Give ur self time to adjust. Everyones body is different. if possible find a support group near u. Ive also heard going to weight watchers meetings help too, since everyone there is struggling to eat healthier. dont b afraid if u go to explain ur struggles. Just try to take it one day at a time. Also celebrate the weight u have lost. Always here for u. take care and God bless.

I know the feeling of wanting something to chew. By this time in yr journey it's normal what's your feeling. Try added some blended soup (use a blender). Watery grits and watery cream of wheat cereal. Also sugar free pudding. This list came from my surgeon. Grits and cream of wheat will give u some fullness. Don't get discourage u can do this. Best wishes.

I am sorry that you are going through all of this. Don't get discouraged. This time will pass and you will be able to have real food once again. I struggled with a few issues and I am still having issues with my stomach. Things will get better. I stayed in the hospital for a whole week after my surgery because of nausea and vomiting. I had to keep my IV for almost that whole time because they were afraid that I would dehydrate. I am still having a problem getting in all of my protein. I still rely heavily on my shakes because I can eat chicken, fish, shrimp and eggs comfortably but i just don't get enough in. Even with my issues I would still do it again. I no longer take anything for diabetes or high blood pressure or high cholesterol. So health benefits are awesome. I exercise like crazy but, the weight is not coming off like a lot of other folks but, my body is going through starvation mode so I am working on getting in all of my proteins and all of my liquids. Good luck and don't get discouraged.

TillieS

Back