• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op Constipation Problems?

mam

Hi All,
Did anyone find any constipation problems post op? I am out 11 days from my sleeve surgery with no bowel movements. I have no pain, either. I've upped taking Miralax to 2 capfuls a day, along with 2 dulcolax chewables. I notified my surgeon's office earlier today, but am wondering if any of you have suggestions on what might have worked for you and if this is normal? Thank you so much.

Constipation is a common side effect. Generally, you can't ingest enough fiber to help your bowels move. But stool is still accumulating, and you can develop serious problems if you don't pass it.

You could probably double your Miralax, but ask your doc, and quickly. I had this problem after surgery and had never experienced constipation in my life. It took me 48 hours to complete one bowel movement. I was on the toilet dozens of times, trying to push the log jam out, and when it finally happened... well, I don't want to tell the rest of the story, but trust me, you really want to up the fiber right away. And invest in some glycerin suppositories and an enema bag...o_O:oops::eek:

My opinion is that this complication is not talked about enough. People should start a fiber lax two weeks before surgery and continue it for two weeks after. The digestive cycle is brief, but getting backed up stops it in its tracks. It's ridiculous that we should suffer this horrible complication when it's completely preventable.

Thank you for the heads up and the advice! I did contact my doctor's office today, and they advised doubling the Miralax, adding ducolax, colase, and senna. I will buy glycerin suppositories and an enema bag. I agree with you that constipation was not really discussed much as a complication from this surgery. When I contacted the surgeon's office, his PA said this was common, and I shouldn't worry, but my sister is a nurse and felt after 12 days, more concern was warranted.
I hope you are otherwise doing well with your recovery!

I'm doing great, 16 years out. Once my body adjusted to the new diet, all was well. I did have to cut out a few foods, and noticed trouble with any food containing too much fat or too much sugar, which eventually worked its way out. But these can cause dumping, which is great discomfort from the stomach all the way to the anus, and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Be careful with senna, though. I found it very harsh, and once you ingest something, it has to work its way through your process, which can take a day or so. Very unpleasant. Fiber laxatives are awesome, and my go-to was Metamucil. I would mix up the granules with just a few ounces of water, and it thickens VERY fast, so I'd stir it and slug it down, then immediately chase it with water (I only drink bottled water because I have metal allergies and can't tolerate lead). Fortunately, water moves down from the stomach very quickly, so any liquid you supplement with will go right along with it.

Another thing I invested in because pushing down can cause hemorrhoids was witch hazel and pure cotton balls/pads (in the nail polish aisle). Keeping the anal and rectal areas clear is really important to easing the whole process. It's something we don't think about until something goes wrong. I found the witch hazel very soothing.

And getting back to fiber, remember, you can acquire fiber by drinking juice. That's why prune juice was so popular for so long. This takes research, though, because most fruit juices can have the opposite effect.

If I had trouble getting veggies in, I fell back on V8 juice. That's a pretty good solution. Read the label for full nutritional benefit information.

Let us know how things go for you, okay?

Thank you so much for these suggestions. After taking colase, with doubling up miralax and including dulcolax, I have spent several hours today in the bathroom and am now feeling weak after the bm. I am only 12 days out from surgery, so I can't yet have v8, but will definitely look out for Smooth Move tea bags. I wish the doctors were more forthcoming and proactive with information on constipation complications. I don't think I have the strength to take my walk around the block today, unless I get a second wind in the next three or four hours.

Follow up question, after much rest yesterday, I am feeling a lot better today. What if any suggestions do you have to try and stay regular? I will add benefiber to water, but should I take Miralax daily too? How often should I expect a BM after this surgery? I will be sure to ask my surgeon lots of specifics at my follow up meeting later this week. Unfortunately for me, I learned the earliest his hospital/offices offer a support group meeting is March, which seems far off to me.

My office’s protocol is Miralax powder once a day until such time as you’re going regularly every day. I generally have it 4-5 days a week as preventative but really just bc I was prone to constipation before surgery.

I take Benefiber daily to every other day. I go daily to every other day. I’m a nurse and agree with your sister, 12 days is definitely too long, I’m glad that resolved. Everyone is different and it will take a while for you to figure out what works for you, especially when introducing new foods. Good luck!

I am going suggest 2 things Senna and Dates. They help me. I often find the foods that give me less stools and will eat them but that is not the best advice, Drink more water I am sure you have heard but drink any liquid that you can tolerate!!!

Hi Sandra, I am 21 days post vertical sleeve surgery, and have had terrible constipation problems. I am taking miralax daily, along with dulcolax and cholase, to help me. This is what the surgeon's office recommended. On this site, you can find additional recommendations that others have made too. I hope your recovery is going well.

Back