• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post-op Medications

Qaterra

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and make no recommendation. I am merely passing along information.

I am surprised to see very little discussion about post-op medications, including fiber and multivitamins. I have wondered that there don't seem to be any "why are you taking that" or "why aren't I taking this" discussions.

Over the last several months, I have examined multiple bariatric surgeons' websites in several states and countries. Some prescribe nothing post-op but multivitamins. Some prescribe a whole slew of medications. What follows are those things common to many of them.

Fiber -- duration: lifetime
Multivitamins -- duration: lifetime
Pepto-Bismol -- duration: 3-4 months
Prilosec -- duration: 3-4 months
Ursodiol -- duration: 5-6 months OR as long as you are losing 10lb or more per month

Below is some additional explanatory information I hope you find helpful.

Methylcellulose (Citrucel - generics are available), 1 teaspoon or more twice a day in 2-3 oz. of any type of liquid; can also be mixed with yogurt or unsweetened applesauce. Methylcellulose is a dietary fiber which has the ability to hold water and form bulk. Used to: 1-coat the lining of the new stomach pouch, 2-increase weight loss, and 3-normalize bowel movements. Fiber decreases episodes of diarrhea and helps to prevent or treat constipation. Fiber keeps stools from becoming either too loose, or too dry and hard. It helps the bowel become healthier, thicker and stronger. Remember that ulcer is one of the long-term risks of any malabsorptive surgery. Low fiber intake has been shown to be associated with the development of ulcers. Studies show that soluble fiber from fruit and vegetables is protective against ulcer. Many studies have shown that increased fiber in the diet increases weight loss. Fiber also increases the weight lost after surgery. Fiber is to be started as soon as you go home.

Multivitamins beginning 2 weeks after surgery, three times the dose recommend by the label on the bottle of vitamins that you have purchased. (Specialty bariatric multivitamins should be taken as indicated on the bottle.) Gastric Bypass is very effective at causing weight loss, in part, because it causes malabsorption of the food you eat. But it also causes malabsorption of some vitamins and minerals. Most liquid vitamins are not recommended because of their low iron content. Similarly, children's chewable vitamins contain lower amounts of vitamins, in particular B12, and they are not recommended. Many vitamin brands are acceptable. Choose one that includes iron in the list of minerals. Vitamins which have iron can upset your stomach but they are absolutely necessary. If they cause nausea, stop them for a day or two, then restart and begin with one a day with meals, and build up slowly to three a day. Wal-Mart sells a brand called "OneSource" multivitamins. One of these three times a day is a good choice.

Bismuth Subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol), 1 tablespoon of regular-strength suspension every 6 hours.

Omeprazole (Prilosec OTC), 20 mg twice per day. Nexium, Prilosec, Aciphex or Prevacid are all acceptable substitutes.

Ursodiol (Actigall), 300 mg twice a day. (Do not start until two weeks after surgery.) Always take it with food. This medication helps to prevent the development of gallstone disease as you lose weight following surgery. It can also help decrease the symptoms of any bile reflux that can occur after surgery. Side Effects: Ursodiol may cause diarrhea, stomach pains especially in the upper right side, nausea or vomiting. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop the Ursodiol (Actigall), wait 5-10 days, then restart it slowly. Take 1 every other day and work up to 2 a day.

Back